Euro 2024 chat & predictions

edd_jedi

Staff member
£2.50 for a pack of 8 cards :oops: nearly had a heart attack when I went to buy my son a few packs!

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Mostly happy with the England squad, but don't understand Dunk over Branthwaite and the inclusion of Shaw. Pleased with most of the other omissions- Henderson, Maguire, Maddison, Grealish, Rashford etc. Quite a change for Southgate. None of them have done enough this season and Grealish is a show pony, who just seems to pass sideways/backwards and falls over a lot. Very little end product. Think Gordon and Eze will offer more.

Obviously very pleased Bowen has been picked. He's been brilliant this season, but has also been very good ever since he came to WHU and thoroughly deserves his place imho. Can take people on, run in behind, play on the wing and also does well up front. Great finisher and works his socks off. He played really well against Brazil and Belgium. Really chuffed for him.

I think Shaw is in as there are no other LB's in the squad. It is still a risk but I can see why he did it.
I agree Branthwaite's omission is strange when Dunk gets in. Dunk was skinned alive a few friendlies ago. I assume Maguire would have been in had he been fit and Dunk would have had the summer off. Still not sure why Branthwaite was over looked. Unless Dunk is left footed?

Last edited:

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Agreed- Dunk is like-for-like with Maguire and that was probably in the thinking. Still think Branthwaite is far and away the better player, though. Not sure whether he's a left-footer.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I think Shaw is the only left footed defender in the squad. This performance is so boring I might start chewing my left foot off soon.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
****ing Spain. Jammy bastards!!!
We played them off the park. At one point, after 29 MINUTES we had 19 completed passes. That 19 includes kicking off……ehhh four times.
Why the **** the ref insisted on playing the last 88minutes of the game I will never know.

Robbed

lejackal

Grand Master
German Frame By Frame Animation GIF by Mouse

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
FFS Scotland. There is bending over and then there is THAT.

Whoever thought yer fella Porteus was an international standard CB, or Angus Gunn an international GK, needs to start watching football. One is a non league GBH merchant and the other has Poppadoms for hands

lejackal

Grand Master
I don't see how that was a penalty when he looked to trip over the floor, but if it is a pen and Rodri is the last man how has he not been sent off?

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Double jeopardy. If you were trying to play the ball (and that's arguable in his case) and it isn't GBH (which it definitely wasn't) you only get a yellow.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
England underwhelming, to say the least, but at least it's a win. Hanging on for an hour against Serbia is slightly worrying. The drop-off after the first half was quite startling- even Bellingham and Saka, who were great in the first half seemed to withdraw into their shells fairly early. Foden's not a winger. I'd like to see Belingham next to Rice and Foden behind Kane. Defence did quite well.

All that said, we normally start slowly, so let's hope we are really in our stride by the time we play the stronger teams.

Last edited:

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Typical Southgate, hold onto what you've got rather than go for the 2nd and 3rd goals. Spain and Italy will pull our pants down if we keep playing like that.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom