Ebay / paypal dilemma.

MarkG

Jedi Master
Guys,

About 3 months ago, I bought a Star Wars 'prop' item off Ebay...

After 2 months it hadn't arrived so I put a claim in, and got my money back.. Seller starting getting negative feedback about similar items too.

Fast forward to yesterday. Out of the blue I get a 'tracked' parcel in the post... it's the item.

I also get an eail from Paypal saying that they have received tracking info from the seller, and it's been delivered to me. They ask me to resend payment to the seller. However, the auction is now dead, and there is no link for me to pay in the paypal email, apart from the sellers email address.

Do I ;

1, ignore it, and if they come chasing then pay it...
2, send the item back
3, think stuff it.. sellers loss and should have sent the item when he had my money.

Cheers.

Palifan

Sith Lord
I would probably send the payment as you do now have the item and fair is fair. That said though if you no longer want the item then return it to the seller as they can't just take their sweet time sending something out and think that it's cool to do that.

Just my thoughts on this but hopefully it helps a little.

Ian

JFK

Jedi Master
You did Waite months and had the hassle maybe send 95% back it al depends on if you believe in karma :D

lee gray

Sith Lord
If u still want it, its fair to pay him the money and if not just send it back stating you no longer want it because it might look good on your character if you just kept it and didnt pay

itfciain

Grand Master
To be fair, if you have the item and are happy with it then the karma Gods will smile upon you for sending him the money - plus if PayPal have told you to do it then one way or another they will make that happen

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
As no one else has been the boring one to point it out I will; not either paying for the item or returning is, technically, theft :D Yes, it's weird, but it's not really a dilemma.

As already said, if you want it then send him the cash. If you don't want it message him and ask for the money for postage in advance to return it. If he doesn't send you the money to send it back then I believe you have no obligation to return it or send the money as no contract exists between you anymore. It becomes his responsibility to recover the item from you and becomes a civil law matter.

And as has been pointed out, PP may well claw back the money at some highly inconvenient point although legally speaking, they have no authority to as, again, there is no longer a contract between you and the seller.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
It is always best ,without question,to do the right thing.

Put yourself in the reverse position, what would you want to happen?

MarkG

Jedi Master
Cheers guys.

I will contact the seller and see if they will refund my postage back to them. If not, then will be at a stalemate.

Contact from them was non existent in the first place hence having to claim my money back in the first place. If they had kept me updated, then no claim would have been made.

I am very surprised they did send it after all this time.. even though they lost the claim. I know I certainly wouldn't have sent something out without contacting to see if they still wanted it.

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
I have to agree with the others. You agreed on a price and got the item. OK, it sucks that it took so long to get to you, and you would be quite within your rights to say you didn't want it and give it back but to knowingly keep it without paying for it is theft.

If your happy, just send the money. I would say if you were going to do the dirty then you wouldn't have posted on here, so your original post tells me your conscience is bothering you. Ease it and you will feel better for it.

poncho

Grand Master
pay the guy, simples, or sent it back providing he sends you postage cost first. or ask him to arrange a courier to pick it up

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
It'll be interesting to see what the seller says.

Ohh and as the others have said, you should send the money or the item to him. It's a no brainer. Tempting as it may be to keep it, it would make you just as bad as the legion of scamming wankers on evil bay.

MarkG

Jedi Master
I sent a message last night to say I didn't want it as it took so long but he would have to pay the return carriage.

Awaiting a reply.

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
MarkG said:
I sent a message last night to say I didn't want it as it took so long but he would have to pay the return carriage.

Awaiting a reply.

Fairest thing to do mate. Now, if he refuses to pay postage then tell him you will hold onto it until he does. Not unreasonable as its his cock up. If he now walks away from it, that's a different story altogether.

MarkG

Jedi Master
That's another dilemma..

How long to wait before I get a reply.. was very limited originally.. lol.

And if no reply after a set time.. what then?

jasdev999

Jedi Master
As has been said before Karma Gods are not to be taken lightly. I have found Ebay/Paypal customer service over the phone very helpful so there should be a way to pay the seller.

MarkG

Jedi Master
jasdev999 said:
As has been said before Karma Gods are not to be taken lightly. I have found Ebay/Paypal customer service over the phone very helpful so there should be a way to pay the seller.

I don't want the item anymore.. I want the seller to pay the carriage back as it's their issue for sending it.
I have messaged them but as of yet no reply.

Palifan

Sith Lord
I'd say you've done the right thing and now it's up to the seller to get in contact. If they don't then just keep the item and money, no karma issues there for me as it's all on the seller from this point.

Ian

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
I agree with Ian, maybe try contacting him once more and then leave the ball in their court.

In the UK, if you hand something in lost to the police, if it hasn't been claimed after four weeks it's yours. Perhaps if you were looking for some guidance that might be a useful reference.

I once found £180 in cash on the street. No wallet, just a fat bundle of £20s. I contemplated keeping it, but I had this image in my mind of my nan, drawing £180 out of a cashpoint for Christmas presents or to buy her holiday money and dropping it and so I handed it in. Four weeks later, no one had claimed it so I got it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom