Ebay, am I in the wrong?

starshipriot

Jedi Master
I sold a fallout vinyl figure that I had a double of. For those that are unfamiliar, vinyl figures are like mystery figures. You dont know which you have until you open it. They arent expensive, go from about 5-8 pounds.
Anyways I sold two of my doubles sepparetly on ebay, opened wiithout packaging. However I did use a spare box as a background just for my camera to focus, for both figures. No where did I say the box included.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181965247579?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1561.l2649

I understand if it was a vintage Star Wars vehicle or something if I sold it with a box in the background, it would be expected that it would come with it. But these are cheap tradeable little toys, more akin to trading cards than action figures.

I recieved a message today saying "hi got the item today but no box". That was all. Messaged back politely saying that nowhere in the listing does it say included box, but if she was unhappy she was welcome to return it for a full refund. I then recieve a neutral feedback, which may not seem like much, but I have always strived for good feedback and five stars rating.

Honestly guys, am I in the wrong? Obviously Im gonna be very careful in future about whats in the background of a picture. Has anyone else had similar experiences?

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
Mate, ebay is the ****ing pits sometimes. You have to deal with some utter tools.

I would say you were open to question on the pic though as the box was in the pic, generally state very clearly what you're getting, if something is not included that appears in the pic then make that clear. Some people need it spelling out for them.

BUT, I have to say, at £1.22 for them to have taken issue over something like that then that shows them to be the total twats they are. And especially after you offered a refund - totally unfair.

You could contact ebay to try and explain the situation and get the feedback removed but don't hold your breath!

Put it down to a learning experience.

Happy new year by the way! :)

x-pack

Grand Master
Just contact eBay and try to have the feedback taken down. It's obviously a misunderstanding. Some people are just idiots. I think even eBay account for this. It's like if you took a picture of an item and there was a toaster or kettle somewhere in the background, and the person asks 'where's my kettle?'

Not your fault but I have found with eBay that you have to be so specific about your listing, almost to a ridiculous degree. Best bet is to imagine the seller will assume anything in the background is included. And also imagine the seller will complain about the most minor defect even if you list it. Hate eBay :roll:

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Exactly what Mark's said above, mate, with the emphasis on the quantity of tools.

Sold a comic a while back. Laid it on a white piece of A4 so the edges were defined and condition and colours could be seen clearly. Got the feedback "frame wasn't included". Personally, I don't think people with IQs in single figures should be allowed on the Internet.

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
I think you have left yourself open with the photo. Perhaps clarify the box isn't included in future.

But for £1.22, what did they expect. It is purely a misunderstanding imo. No need for the neutral feedback, especially after a refund was offered.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Unfortunately this is the kind of thing that happens on eBay, buyers feel invincible (which they are thanks to eBay.) I agree the photo suggested the box might be included, but only a dick would leave neutral feedback over a quid.

I don't bother selling low value things on eBay any more, it's more hassle than it's worth. After fees you probably made what, 70p? Probably better off just grouping low value stuff in to bigger lots, or giving to a charity shop.

itfciain

Grand Master
I would message the buyer and check if they meant to leave you Neutral feedback - it may have been a mistake - be really nice with them and if they did mean to do it then ask them to reconsider as it means a lot to you - if they offer to remove the feedback for a full refund then you can report them to eBay for extortion - however if the feedback means that much to you then offer them a full or partial refund if they will remove it (guess it depends on how much you value the feedback)

Cocobean

Padawan
firstly your not in the wrong your advert is clearly written so no confusion there secondly I don't think it's worth the hassle from their point for what it sold for as its already been said eBay is full of idiots and also people who just try it on unfortunately the lay out favours those idiots I've had plenty of similar experiences people complaining instructions arnt with the items when I clearly state you are bidding for what is pictured any questions please ask etc it makes no difference what I will say is you have a decent eBay account even though your not in the wrong if eBay won't remove feedback from this incident for the sake of a couple of quid see if you can make a deal with the guy to protect your account offer a partial refund and they can keep the item if the request the feedback to be taken off I'm sure they can do that and as you say take extra care in the future even though this isn't fair unfortunately this is what we are faced with these days good luck

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
I've got to agree with the majority; there's nothing in your auction which says it isn't included so the photo doesn't help, but only an idiot would leave neutral feedback at that selling price.

I agree with Ed - I give low value stuff to charity as it's not worth the time and effort. I'd also speak to the seller and ebay about getting the neutral removed.

kingshearer

Jedi Master
Ebay should do away with neutral and negative feedback and penalise sellers with strikes only if independent buyers continue to raise cases for refunds. This way idiots won't be able to leave (in most cases) petty feedback.

Jez

Sith Lord
ollie said:
Neutral = no problem, you'll still show as 100% positive feedback.(

Totally agree

ollie said:
Just learn from this that some people on eBay are a holes :(

Possibly a bit harsh. People are generally more receptive to photos and images more than text. If the buyer was someone from this forum and bought it in good faith thinking it came with everything in the photo, i'm sure they would have posted a question/post asking if the seller was an a-hole. I'm sure there would be loads of folk saying, yeah the seller was in the wrong.

Fortunately in this case it isn't a big deal but the decision to have the box in the photo was the real problem here.

Lom

Jedi Master
Supporter
When I sell on eBay I explicitly advise what is and is not for sale; hell, I even mention that the table on which the item stands is not included in the sale... And I do this because there are 3 types of people who use eBay; 1. good, respectable people; 2. clueless bellends whose ignorance frankly astounds and frightens me in equal measure, and 3. absolute cunts who want to **** you over, have a row or both. Sadly there seem to be more and more from the latter two categories these days so I take every step I can to cover myself. As mentioned previously, eBay's seller / buyer bias is skewed so far in favour of the buyer that sellers are on a hiding to nothing - the advice from the guys is good and gives you some options to try, but ultimately let it go and move on - it ain't worth it.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Yeah, my rule of thumb for Ebay is assume the buyer is a complete retard. Sadly a lot of them are.
Most don't read the listing. They just look at the picture and assume that's what they are getting, hence your problem.
In future only take a picture of whatever is included in the sale. You can update your description to include a more details on what is and isn't for sale, but rest assured idiots will bid without reading it.

Annoying, but such is Ebay.

starshipriot

Jedi Master
Mixed opinions here it seems!
Im over it now. Was only a neutral not a neg so deffo look at it as a learning experience like. My mum told me my dad sold a radio controlled areoplane engine on ebay. There are people who specifically collect engines for radio controlled planes, and the one they sold went for a good ammount, sold as loose like. The buyer left positive feedback then sent a message asking for a partial refund as the box was really tatty only mum hadnt mentioned that it even had the box in the listing or pictures, it was a bonus like.
Would be like if you sold a loose fgure but included the cardback just as a bonus and the buyer asked for a refund cos the cardback was creased.
I will deffo be more weary in future!

Palifan

Sith Lord
I would just think everyone's an idiot and make things as clear as you can. Also I would only take a picture of what you're selling so that there can be no doubt about it. I often see things for sale and sellers have put the item they're selling in the middle of their entire collection. I think this is to slightly fool people or at least make them have a second look at it and although I know you never did this I think keeping things clean and simple is always the best way to go.

All the best with everything,

Ian

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom