Cost of our passion??

roundster

Jedi Master
Supporter
Just been getting back into this and being really cautious with purchases, hence all the valuation posts (sorry!)

Agree with the comments about not overspending, but find it helps me a lot when I can show my wife I've purchased for just under market value!

Kind of insurance incase things have to be sold!

Must admit though the better value is in the higher end items, strange as it sounds a £300 rarer item tempts me much more than a £50 beater MOC!

RifleSmile

Jedi Knight
Since late last year, I have bought far less in terms of volume but the items I do buy cost more. Have I stretched myself? Never at the expense of the important things in life such as my family and house but I have used more of my disposable income in a month than I probably would have liked.

Richard_H

Grand Master
Cost of passion means something else to me. The eldest is 20 and I can't get rid.

SW collecting.... tbh I wouldn't have the money anyway. It'd be spent on something else.

stormcab

Sith Lord
I'm all done for a while, unless it's something cheap and cheerful. Put a big dent on a credit card at Vectis last summer. Won 4 Palitoy MOCs that I thought I wouldn't get for what I bid. The famous one was the Luke Bespin for £620. They had been going for £1000-1800. It came back from the AFA an 85. So what I got was almost worth double what I paid. Problem is it's a slow process paying that off, so no more biggies. I don't regret it as I will be able to eventually pay the card off, and I'll be left with those 4 stunning MOCs that I got a bargain prices.

What I found happening was the uncontrollable excitement of waiting for a MOC to arrive in the mail, getting it, staring at it for a few minutes, then, like a child "I'm bored with this now" so packed it away and started looking on eBay for something new. I always got a little buzz posting an item in new acquisitions, so tried tell myself to make sure and not be spending loads to impress others.

I don't really hide anything from my wife, she knows some of the crazy money these things are worth, and I think it's reasurred her that what she knows I've spent on some of these, she's seen me sell and get the money back no problem, so she knows it's not some complete money wasting scheme. Every so often I'll reassure her some more by saying "look how much this sold for eBay, I have one of those" :D

indianawars

Sith Lord
You should change the thread title to, 'cost of our addition.' :lol:
I'm lucky enough not to have an exotic taste in collecting - Simple everyday ROTJ / POTF MOC's for me...

Kenner76

Padawan
Prices are still pretty crazy, especially for preproduction items. I now have to sell or trade to be able to afford new ones. Most of the stuff I'm looking for rarely comes up, so when it does I have to be ready to jump on it. It is definitely a different market from a few years ago.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom