childhood toys binned or sold?

x-pack

Grand Master
Did your parents chuck your old toys sneakily behind your back or did you sell them later in life? What happened and how did you feel about it?

Personally I was lucky enough to have two sets of toys - one at mums for the week, and one at dad's for the weekend :)

However, through various moves, divorces and clear outs by my parents over the years I have nothing, or very little left :-(

Some things I've missed more than others. The one that bugged me was the NES with games. Mum moved house and binned everything that didn't say Star Wars on it!

yoda

Sith Lord
I have found a pile of my childhood toys just lately in the loft of our old house. It wasn't lived in since we moved as it needs renovated.
I found alot of bits and pieces I always believed wer gone. I got everything boxed so someday soon I will go through it all. The only problem is I have nowhere to store them. If the wife realises whats in these boxes which is junk in her eyes. I found a fall guy jeep and other action figures and vehicles plus computer games and a load of comics and books.
Starwars related from my childhood what is missing.
Luke farmboy
Bracket to hold dish to Falcon
Smuggler hatch cover
Ramp strut.
And of course nearly all the weapons.

x-pack

Grand Master
Envious. You guys that still have all your childhood toys are so incredibly lucky.

I'm working with my cousin, who is 11 years older than me, and he says all his childhood stuff is in the parents attic still boxed! He's not bothered but there could be a treasure trove! ;-)

MarkG

Jedi Master
Luckily I still have all my childhood figures.. all 96 of them, plus Rebo Band. Also have my X-Wing and Speeder bike.

My dear old Dad (RIP) always told me to keep them as they would be worth money in the future..... and they are.. priceless. (shame I never kept them carded now)

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
I left home at 20 and had a feeling my stuff would be given away or lost so I hid them in the loft boxed up. Fished them out almost 20 years later and it was such a buzz. My girlfriend doesn't get it, she thinks it's junk too. She keeps joking and threatening to sell them when I'm out. Maybe I should hide mine in the loft again?!

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I sold all my none Star Wars stuff in the 00's to fund vintage Star Wars purchases. Leaving home was the main trigger, I thought selling them was better than moving them. Sold vintage MOTU, Ghostbusters, Transformers, Thindercats and boxed mint N64!
No regrets, I'm finding as I get older and now have kids clutter does my head in, it's just stuff to me, I've still got the memories, actually feels cleansing when I get rid of something now. :lol:

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
I'd saved every skateboard I'd ever had. Most were snapped but the memories attached to them were priceless and the graphics were so iconic I had a plan of hanging them all in my shed when I was lucky enough to own a house.

I returned home one year after travelling and couldn't find them so asked my dad if he knew where they were.

"They were all broken lad so I slung em on the bonfire"

Im still ghutted to this day.

Robstyley

Sith Lord
I tried to sell all my Star Wars toys at a bootsale in about 1989/1990 but some didn't sell which is what I have left now. A bloke bought the best bits - Falcon, Darth Tie and all my figures for his little boys. Still have quite a few ships, bit gutted about the Falcon and figures but it's good to think of those kids playing with them :D

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
My Star Wars toys were all sold in the mid/late 80s to a colleague of my Mum for her children. We didn't keep any of it, other than a single hoth backpack I found amongst our lego. :( My Action Man stuff went to my cousin's son, who no longer has it. I'm gutted they're gone because, more than any other toys, Star Wars and Action Man were my childhood toys. We had Transformers too which I'm guessing were sold, but I don't miss those at all.

Ironically we still have a lot of other stuff, including Subbuteo, Scalextric, Lego, Technical Lego Car Chassis, Palitoy Daleks, Whirly Wheelers, Vertibird Air Police set and various toys/games. A lot of the Scalextric and Subbuteo stuff I had as a kid was from my older cousin and is from the early 60s. On the one hand it's tempting to sell it, as I haven't seen it for about 25 years... but on the other hand it still has some sentimental value.

yoda

Sith Lord
peekaygee73 said:
My Star Wars toys were all sold in the mid/late 80s to a colleague of my Mum for her children. We didn't keep any of it, other than a single hoth backpack I found amongst our lego. :( My Action Man stuff went to my cousin's son, who no longer has it. I'm gutted they're gone because, more than any other toys, Star Wars and Action Man were my childhood toys. We had Transformers too which I'm guessing were sold, but I don't miss those at all.

Ironically we still have a lot of other stuff, including Subbuteo, Scalextric, Lego, Technical Lego Car Chassis, Palitoy Daleks, Whirly Wheelers, Vertibird Air Police set and various toys/games. A lot of the Scalextric and Subbuteo stuff I had as a kid was from my older cousin and is from the early 60s. On the one hand it's tempting to sell it, as I haven't seen it for about 25 years... but on the other hand it still has some sentimental value.

I presume you did but your mum's colleague did you ever follow it up what happened to them? Or your cousins son? I know it's along shot but just imagine you found something stored away and you got it back!
Those bits that wer passed on to you before you sell them you could mention them to your cousin again. You could ignite a little flame in him again for his childhood toys :)
I have cousins who had starwars also and felt a bit awkward bringing up the conversation about them. But when I did I could see his eyes light up talking about them. I guess he had it locked away also but maybe felt embarrassed bringing up a conversation to me about what we used to have and play with.

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
All sold at a Carboot sale, I used the proceeds towards buying my first full set of Ice Hockey body armour. At the time it was the right thing to do, sure I regret not having my toys now, but I have a fir collection now and the memories are still mine.
I have one Biker scout and Speeder Bike left - battered but cherished!

spoons

Grand Master
All sold at a garage sale to fund a set of white stunt tyres, finger brake levers and helmet for my BMX - quite a short lived fad in my house and regret it now :roll:

Luckily my folks kept my space lego and Britains deetail soldiers separate so still have some childhood toys.

lejackal

Grand Master
I sold my Star Wars when I was a child to a dealer for not a great deal to fund some Starcom or Games Workshop stuff, I think my Lego was given away and about the only thing I kept was some matchbox cars, all boxed and completely worthless....now unboxed and my son plays with them so have instantly become priceless 8)

Woolyniner

Jedi Knight
Managed to keep all my star wars stuff apart from the weapons, but my parents threw out all my transformers. I had a look at them again on ebay recently and decided the toys had aged quite badly, star wars has stood the test of time much better.

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
yoda said:
I presume you did but your mum's colleague did you ever follow it up what happened to them? Or your cousins son? I know it's along shot but just imagine you found something stored away and you got it back!
Those bits that wer passed on to you before you sell them you could mention them to your cousin again. You could ignite a little flame in him again for his childhood toys :) .
My Mum hasn't worked with her for over 25 years so no chance there. I know my cousin passed the Action Man stuff to her sister when she had a son. I know they no longer have it but I'm not sure where it went. :( :(

I'll mention the Subbuteo and Scalextric to my cousin next time I see him :D

Palifan

Sith Lord
I sold a fair few of my toys to second hand shops to get the money to use elsewhere and I did sell my box of childhood Star Wars figures to my mates brother for a fiver. There was a VCJ in there and the box I gave them to him in was an ESB chewy sweets box :cry: I've still got some hope that they'll all turn up in my mates loft one day as his brother never knew what happened to them.

I do also remember coming home after school and finding that my Mum had thrown out my 2000AD collection as she said they had silver fish in them, it was from prog 1-100 :roll:

Ian

x-pack

Grand Master
Oh man that sucks about the 2000ad collection. My dad chucked all my MAD magazines and NES away. To top that off I also had another NES at my mums and she binned that as welL. ****!

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
My parents were pretty good- didn't get rid of anything without my blessing. I kept all my SW and Action Force bar a few figures that I sold when I was around 12/13 (literally a handful). Kept all my inpro dinosaurs, Scalextric, Britain's knights etc. Unfortunately sold all my Action Man stuff.

All in all, very pleased with what I have left :)

Pomse2001

Grand Master
I thinks my dad still have most of my childhood toys or my little brother. When I was to old to play with it my little brother got it. But I think it is still laying around in my dad's house. I bought my star wars toy back from my little brother in 2001.

Later I replaced some of my star wars childhood figures with better figures :roll: I still have all my childhood weapons for the figures but most of them is mixed with weapons and figures that I have bought after 2001 :( Today I wish I had kept them separate from what I bought after 2001 :(

I have a few figures, weapons and vehicles that I know is 100% my childhood items but most of it is mixed today :(

oh and my dad threw my cardbacks and boxes out behind my back when I was a kid :(

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom