Are we being invaded?

plantman

Sith Lord
Yeah i suppose, but creating a new account and posting the same crap links is time consuming and pointless, i suppose if they did choose to cause mayhem they could be traced via IP if the forum logs that kind of detail...

plantman

Sith Lord
Mind you though, its probably not a static IP anyway so they would only have to reboot their router to get a different one.

Darth Wensleydale

Sith Lord
The spammers are setting up accounts well in advance of posting so its just a case of checking for new members and banning them immediately. Maybe Edd can adjust the site's filters but in the meantime we have some extra eyes in the form of Weasel to help get rid of them.

It also helps if nobody replies to the spammers posts as they are far quicker to delete then.

Bollux

Grand Master
I have forgotten how we find their ip addresses!

There were a load of the spamming twats today, I banned about 10 people! :twisted:

mash

Sith Lord
**** me how many of the twats are there?? and why is it its never anything interesting always some random crap? :twisted: :eek:

what exactly do they gain from doing it?

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
No idea mate, but Ron, Bollux, Si and myself end up deleting about 5 topics and banning a half dozen "members" (ie spammers) nearly everytime we sign in. :roll:

burnsy

Sith Lord
I was gonna say, it's got to be someone with a vendetta. Otherwise what's the ****ing point??

Sad little ****er whoever it is :twisted:

Darth Wensleydale

Sith Lord
The number of spammers doesn't seem to have fallen off. I guess the best way to deal with it would be for Edd to pre-approve new members (at least temporarily) before allowing them on. With the names the spammers use it wouldn't be difficult to weed them out :wink:

From what I've read before they also target sites with a memberlist where they can leave their website details. If inactive accounts (i.e. those banned) could be removed then they might be put off.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Your right about there not being a drop off in spammers. i think we're banning about 5 or 6 a day, and have been for a week or more! :roll:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom