Import Tax.

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
Just bought a ESB TFP MOC from the states for £100 and got nailed £32.36 import tax.

I never usually get taxed. 33% seems excessive.

Am I right here?

Pomse2001

Grand Master
wrighty said:
I just got tax £8.68 plus £8 service fee for a $30 item labelled as gift!! :shock: :shock:

:shock: did you contact them about it was a gift ? or was there a bill inside the box that they saw :?

I had only a few times got a letter about tax for a packet that was mailed as a gift, then they wanted proof and seller mailed me a letter that I could mail back and then I got my packet and no tax :D

Service fee £8 in denmark it is £17 :shock:

I have also heard if seller mails from a company address then it can't be mailed as a gift and you have to pay tax :(

Frunkstar

Grand Master
Hope this will help you, I just cut & paste this from an earlier post I did some time back -

Right after a rather contrived call to HMRC I have had success! :D

If importing SW toys & they confirm to the below criteria they will qualify for the 5% import tax bracket -

Must be -

30 years old
In original packaging :?
& no longer in production

If so you can add this to your parcel & (in theory & with an insane amount of luck) you will only get charged the lower Tax bracket of 5%

commodity code 9705000090

Failing this & they do charge you, you WILL qualify to make a claim for the over tax via claim form BOR286 which you can download & print @ - http://www.hmrc.gov.uk

I hope this will help others out & that I get my monies back, about bloody time for a victory for us collectors Vs the customs.

EDIT - BTW I did get my money back :D

wrighty

Sith Lord
Thanks Frank for reminding us to use this code.

My understanding for the allowance is merchandise £18 and gifts £36 before any taxation.

Yes the label was from a Toy store so marking it gift is a dead gift away. Better to put it under $20 as merchandise!!

Lesson learned!! :D

Simon

PGowdy

Grand Master
£33 sounds about right. They are thieving bastards; they take 20% of the value, 20% of the shipping costs, and then they slap on an £8 handling fee.
This is why i get packages marked down to £18 by whoever is sending them or i don't buy. Has stopped me buying from the states as most seller there won't do it.

Nick_IoW

Sith Lord
One time I got something from the states and they never even had to fill out a customs form, it just got sent as is - no customs labels or anything. Was happy as it was over $500. Not sure how it got through customs without a customs label though :)

Frunkstar

Grand Master
Bramistuta25 said:
I received my package from the USA this morning, marked as $30 and $65 postage.

Haven't paid a thing and was fully tracked global shipping.

I will post a picture of the label later.

Hope this helps

Its a case of roulette Bram, they don't pull everything, bit like at the airport nothing to declare isle mate, they only putt the odd one to check all is as it should be, usually mine :lol: :|

plantman

Sith Lord
i had mine opened and inspected, they cut the packaging and damaged a carded figure, then slapped inspection tape all over it.

i go for marked down value every time now, i dont care, **** the government the thieving bastards

spoons

Grand Master
Frunkstar said:
Hope this will help you, I just cut & paste this from an earlier post I did some time back -

Right after a rather contrived call to HMRC I have had success! :D

If importing SW toys & they confirm to the below criteria they will qualify for the 5% import tax bracket -

Must be -

30 years old
In original packaging :?
& no longer in production

If so you can add this to your parcel & (in theory & with an insane amount of luck) you will only get charged the lower Tax bracket of 5%

commodity code 9705000090

Failing this & they do charge you, you WILL qualify to make a claim for the over tax via claim form BOR286 which you can download & print @ - http://www.hmrc.gov.uk

I hope this will help others out & that I get my monies back, about bloody time for a victory for us collectors Vs the customs.

EDIT - BTW I did get my money back :D

Thanks to this I got a guy in the states to add the code - still got charged 20% though and £8 handling. Off to fill the form in now

spoons

Grand Master
Just got a letter from customs - they are refunding me £6.50 so that means I've paid £8 handling for a £2.50 customs fees, total bastards.

I'm going to send them an invoice for my handling time. Has anyone tried this?

sith-smith

Grand Master
Years ago I had stuff delivered from the US via UPS.

They phoned me up before customs to confirm what the items were saying they would try and get me through on a lower 5% tax and it worked.

They said it was limited edition toys for my own use/private collection and not for resale.

A while later I got stung the full amount and appealed stating the above explanation and got a refund.

This was some time ago though. Around 2007 I think

jasdev999

Jedi Master
Coughed up £30 for a few MOCs few months back as a RS seller put commodity and real value on the customs form

...got quite a few packages from US since and .so far not paid customs as long as they put Gift , plastic toy under $50.

Latest posts

Top Bottom