Import Tax.

Christian

Jedi Master
Right chaps - watch this space.

I have just requested a kind gentleman to mark a package with the previously advised Commodity code in bold enough letters that even a primate would be able to decipher it. Fingers crossed otherwise I'm staring down the barrel at a few quid in charges :(

Cheers,
Christian

plantman

Sith Lord
My stuff got charged full 20% with that commodity code today, i did a quick online check but couldnt find where it says 5% for that code?

http://www.dutycalculator.com/hs-lookup/164120/hs-tariff-code-for-plastic-vintage-toys/

on this link it says 20%

plantman

Sith Lord
it does work sometimes, but they generally charge 20% and see if you can be arsed to fill in a claims form and wait 30 days for a response, then send picture evidence and all that ****.

i marked some proofs with this code and customs opened the parcel and changed the description to "paperwork" and charged me full 20% the twats.

walkie

Sith Lord
I 've used it once and it worked for me. However I prefer to take the GIFT route as long as the package is fully tracked.

plantman

Sith Lord
walkie said:
I 've used it once and it worked for me. However I prefer to take the GIFT route as long as the package is fully tracked.

Yeah i generally take a bit of a hit on purpose and mark it gift with a value of say $65 so it doesnt look suspicious as customs inspectors are arseholes when repacking.

Frunkstar

Grand Master
The code is legit & "should work" but does not 99% of the time, as Andy said, they just usually charge you the 20% & see if you can be bothered to make a claim, thieving cunts, the parcel I had sent with it on had it in 3" bold red lettering on every side & they still charged me the 20% & I had to make a claim, ever since I go the gift option, mark as $15 & plastic toy & will just have to take the fall if it ever comes, to date though I have had a **** load come via gift without a single problem.

Its the Government & you know what that stands for - TAX TAX & more bloody TAX, they want their pound of flesh from you, even if they do not deserve it.

Side note - handling charge goes up from 8 pound to almost 15 if you send via express service to & you also get taxed the 20% on the postage costs

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Surely this makes the global shipping program a complete scam? I'm sure it is more than 5%. WTF.

theslider

Sith Lord
I have a way to avoid import charges from the States - it does work, it's just getting the daft Yanks to do it though!

Dark Sith Lord

Grand Master
theforceuk said:
Surely this makes the global shipping program a complete scam? I'm sure it is more than 5%. WTF.

Absolutely! :twisted:

I have used this several times and it has always worked. Looks like I have been fortunate!

spoons

Grand Master
just hit a glitch in the 5% commodity code, which up to now has always worked

HMRC disputed the use of the code, and told me to contact the classification department for confirmation.

Classification said that only motor vehicles over 30 years old are subject to 5% tax - despite the code working on the last three times

They told me to fill in another form to get vintage toys reclassified, and subject to 5% but wasn't forthcoming where I would fined that form...

I don't mind the tax its the handling fee that really pisses me off - £8 to keep my parcel on a shelf rather than delivering it

Bastards :evil:

plantman

Sith Lord
i had the code work once in in the last few years, the rest of thime they either ignored it because they knew i wouldnt chase through hoops to claim or said it didnt apply

i just take the risk with gift and super fast shipping

spoons

Grand Master
I do normally chase just to annoy them :)

Probably done it too often recently, but they will fully ignore the code most of the time just to get the handling fee

Went for the 'gift' option on today's purchases

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom