Lack of tolerance...

Bramistuta25

Sith Lord
Hi guys,

I just thought I would point out that over the past few weeks/months there is a very much apparent lack of tolerance for newbies who come on here looking for valuations and/or to sell their items.

I think we have all at one point or another been guilty of this and I understand that it's hard not to make a quip about one post wonders, something modern, listings without pics and/or prices, of no real value or whatever reason, but don't forget that not only were we all their once and our responses are read by perspective new members as well as existing.

I myself was a member a few months before I even posted anything and luckily enough I was educated rather than abused so I stuck around.

I hope this doesn't come across rude or by any means some moral high ground but I think we should be more tolerant.

Just a trend I don't like to see or be associated with.

Much love.

Bram

yogi

Jedi Knight
Have to agree with you here Bram. I think some of it is quite unnecessary and IMO makes SWFUK and star wars collectors in general come across rather pompous and close minded.

Like Bram says everyone has to start somewhere and I think sometimes certain newer members may have any early enthusiasm for the hobby killed off before it evens gets a chance to start.

Just my opinion, nothing against a bit of banter and abuse at the right times :D

SOJ

Sith Lord
My bad. Will think before I type the next time someone asks the value of a dancing Jar Jar money box.

Richard_H

Grand Master
I totally agree with Bram's comments. However Daniel I think your advice is accurate and fine in the valuation section. Some of the comments going back to June have been pretty harsh IMO for some newbies

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
I agree..

I too in the at first had a little trepidation in regard to posting once joining, but quickly passed that ( being the shy retiring wallflower that I am).

In the main I have seen diplomatic direction to newbies asking them to introduce themselves etc, and post pics ( with a link to the introduction thread etc).

Got to agree though, an out and out slating and "swear words" being used :shock: :shock: ( in all seriousness, it isn't nice really). Isn't really what a newbie wants to see and will give a bad impression of the forum and its members,

Just MHO

Christian

Jedi Master
Agreed - plus you never know what they might be selling as well.... :wink:

Bramistuta25 said:
Hi guys,

I just thought I would point out that over the past few weeks/months there is a very much apparent lack of tolerance for newbies who come on here looking for valuations and/or to sell their items.

I think we have all at one point or another been guilty of this and I understand that it's hard not to make a quip about one post wonders, something modern, listings without pics and/or prices, of no real value or whatever reason, but don't forget that not only were we all their once and our responses are read by perspective new members as well as existing.

I myself was a member a few months before I even posted anything and luckily enough I was educated rather than abused so I stuck around.

I hope this doesn't come across rude or by any means some moral high ground but I think we should be more tolerant.

Just a trend I don't like to see or be associated with.

Much love.

Bram

naughtyjedi

Sith Lord
My first post got friendly abuse as i posted about modern stuff.. Maybe every newbie should be forced into a 'bear pit' thread for their first post!!

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
naughtyjedi said:
My first post got friendly abuse as i posted about modern stuff.. Maybe every newbie should be forced into a 'bear pit' thread for their first post!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rich was the first to jump on you as well. How things change.

http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18901&p=263770#p263770

GIVE PEAS A CHANCE!

CRAZYHAZY

Jedi Master
They deserve the abuse ..they can kiss my ass!!.....its a joke!!

Totally agree with everyone ....been collecting for yonks and i still know **** all...all i know
Is that my toys look great in my man cave and it pisses the wife off....RESULT!!

theslider

Sith Lord
Don't agree; some just turn up saying things are for sale and ask for offers (that's an auction!) and then just disappear. If they can take the brickbats that is thrown at them and stick around then it shows that they can take the 'banter'.

db94

Sith Lord
Supporter
Bram I completely agree with your points and your fear about how we are perceived by potential members have but I also get pissed off with the lack of common courtesy shown by some new members - the ones that have clearly only joined to get a quick valuation or sell/promote their goods.

First to admit I am very old school when it comes to this kinda thing, like you I waited a few months before posting and left it even longer before voicing any type of opinion. Nowadays (**** I'm sounding ancient in this, honestly I'm only 42)people have a lot more to say for themselves early on but I'm a big champion of earning your place in any group/organisation/forum and taking the time to get to know how things work - point being there is lots of advice and guidance on here about introducing yourself and the correct way to post pictures but we still get lots of 1st time posters uploading huge pictures selling their items. They can't be bothered to take the time to read up and comply but instead just post up their toys for sale.

How often have we seen people selling modern in the vintage section even though we have a modern section with a separate thread just for modern sales, I would argue anyone that hasn't bothered to look at the site long enough to know that probably isn't looking to contribute anything, they just get what they want and leave.

When I was pointed to the site (thanks again bluedog) I couldn't get enough of it, spending hours reading every thread. Those looking to enjoy the hobby and contribute will do the same, by doing that they'll quickly realise just how good this place is.

Honestly don't think we need to worry too much, there is a huge difference between here and RS - we are definitely not oppressive but equally we don't put up with any ****

itfciain

Grand Master
Maybe we should introduce a ban on 'non-transactional remarks' and have Weasel police it :wink:

:lol: :lol: only joking

Stormtrooper37

Sith Lord
Cc4rhu said:
But some don't and still get the sledging like the guy who has some figures FS but doesn't know the value of the items.

If you are talking about the guy with the 12inch figures for sale I think all comments on that thread are justified, he even apoligised for not doing his research first.

@db94 - great post

Remember a little while back a lot of members were getting pretty cheesed off with newbies showing up asking for valuations and then either going off elsewhere to flog them or not replying to PM's. This was quite a trend back in the spring from memory and annoying a lot of forum members.

Also newbies whose first post is simply trying to sell their wares with no introduction whatsoever irritates most on here. Like db94 said in this post a little time to look at the site and some of the 'stickies' is appreciated by all and makes the buying and selling experience much more pleasant.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
There are always going to be exceptions to the rule, think its just a case of maybe a little throttle back, as Bram stated its over recent weeks really I think.

I class myself as a newb still, and I joined at the same time as my son, we got a bit slated in the beginning ( you know who you are :lol: ) my lad took exception and toddled straight off, but I stayed around ( to the chagrin of some members I would think ).

A valid point I'd like to make is.....

I am an old git and detest FB, twittering etc, and had no idea in regard to forums and etiquette etc, as I said I'm old.....OLD! :lol: but I did very quickly get some help from members, special thanks to Andy Chaz B in the very beginning ( and ever since :D ) Jedi June and Uncle Todd all gave me brilliant advice, Mumbo, Jr C and far too many top blokes to mention. I slowly gained confidence and just took jibes as a bit of fun. So I think there is a valid point in regard to people being diplomatically " initiated" :? Without the need for out and out abuse...if it done in a jokey manner, then I think that's ok

So what I'm saying is, it's swings and roundabouts, best not to be too quick to judge, having said that we will always get liberty takers...such is life

Nobody wants to feel alienated or isolated, lets face it to the rest of the world we are grown men who all collect toys :shock: so lets be careful in that greenhouse :lol:

Btw ...can anyone tell me how much my Jar Jar binks money bank ( the rarer dancing one MISB) is worth so I can BIN it ( :lol: see what I did there ...the old codger is catching on :wink: )

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom