Lack of tolerance...

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
sith-smith said:
I'm with Bram on this. And it's not the first time this has been brought up.

If there is a set way in which things are to be done on this forum and someone's first post goes against it, I do not see that as an excuse to get the pitch forks out, even if correct forum etiquette has been clearly laid out for people and its not being followed.

I understand that some may be twats looking to cause issues and also that lack of introduction etc can get irritating, but we have moderators on this forum and it should be their job to remind first time posters (and at times longer term members) that there are certain expectations. If the person fails to change the post and follow expectations in the future then they are banned/threads deleted.

A string of abuse/rudeness etc is hardly a good advert for the site, especially as some may be genuine. Let the moderators deal with it. Whether they are genuine or not, the mods can deal with it. The current lack of tolerance I do not feel solves it any better and gives a bad impression of the site.

Yeah- with you on this.

Richard_H

Grand Master
We shouldn't need a rule - as Bram says tolerance is the key and a bit of common sense.

The watch guy is obvious 1 post wonder selling bollocks. He and the modern I've got loads of stuff that's worth a fortune guys deserve everything thrown at them.
The 12" loose figures guy is a totally different case.

If someone makes the effort to put vintage photos up and/or posts in the right thread then they are trying. They shouldn't be humiliated for missing one minor thing.
One of the biggest criticisms I've had of RS is their attitude towards newbies. And then I look at some posts on here.

plantman

Sith Lord
A lot of first time posters dont get their post actioned until they have introduced themselves as we have to agree it first.

Sometimes they just get given the ok to see what they have ect, i think each post can be assessed quite quickly on its merits.

most genuine people know the right way to ask a well established community for help, its common sense, and these people should be advised or helped accordingly. If someone bursts on here selling a jar jar binks lifesize cardboard cut out for £800 - payment via western union then im not fussed what you say.

We all started on here as newbies at some point, and i remember getting a real warm welcome which makes a difference.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
sith-smith said:
I understand that some may be twats looking to cause issues and also that lack of introduction etc can get irritating, but we have moderators on this forum and it should be their job to remind first time posters (and at times longer term members) that there are certain expectations. If the person fails to change the post and follow expectations in the future then they are banned/threads deleted.

That doesn't work in practice Gary. A lot of posts that tend to attract the abuse fall into two categories 1) "I have X,Y,Z for sale PM for pictures/details." Sometimes the post will include a stupid price, sometimes it won't. Or 2) Someone asking for a price for an item.

99 times of out a hundred the person who posts type 1) will never be back even if we Mods contact him and ask him add pictures to his thread or introduce himself. Those in type 2) are ONLY after an estimated value and again after it has been given they go straight to eBay, even though some of the guys may have offered to buy the item.

It's annoying and while I don't condone the pitch fork brigade, they do get out of hand sometimes, I can understand why they get pissed off at the constant stream of idiots who come on looking to flog a chewed up modern figure for £50 or who want a value and then don't even say "thanks, off to eBay".

Personally, I ignore anyone who posts asking for price for an item unless they introduce themselves or make some form of effort. I would encourage everyone else to do the same. Or post a comment along the lines of ' you won't get any replies until you introduce yourself'.

There is no hard and fast rule that will work, we will always get idiots who post once and disappear, but I do agree with you and Bram that it does get out of hand at times.

If anyone has any genuinely workable suggestions feel free to post.

PS, OWN UP, WHICH WANKER GAVE ANDY A WARM WELCOME? There's a ban coming your way! :lol:

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
Yeah- I cant help but notice the amount of people who I meet at conventions who say they 'float' around the forum or skim read and have yet to partake.

Bitching is best on all those ridiculous FB sites, where there is no sense of community and everyone's ego is flexed.

I'd prefer people come on here and get educated than get pushed away so they repeat the same destructive processes to our hobby.

Look at that recent post by a guy who joined and is getting rid of his repro stuff.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom