Lack of tolerance...

theslider

Sith Lord
Spot on post by db94 there, mostly agree.

What I also don't like is when people come on asking for valuations or a re selling stuff and then all you see in the thread is "PM sent" - fair enough if the original poster is a whopper (and subsequently doesn't reply), but isn't the thread for asking for a value and not for sale!

Also whilst I'm being narked, no-one has put their hand up to buying the 12" Han! (my own fault for outing an auction though!)

Richard_H

Grand Master
Stormtrooper37 said:
Cc4rhu said:
But some don't and still get the sledging like the guy who has some figures FS but doesn't know the value of the items.

If you are talking about the guy with the 12inch figures for sale I think all comments on that thread are justified, he even apoligised for not doing his research first.

I guess I suppose it's the type of guy whose going to use a vintage SW forum. If everyone who signs up is expected to contribute and stay in the hobby then fine.

If, however, (and I'm summising that the vast majority of people fall into this category) we've got newbies who have some vintage SW stuff and just want to sell them to people who may be interested at a fair price instead of just going straight to ebay and watching the price rise then we are not being very accommodating.

I don't think it's realistic to expect every newbie to read all of the T+C and rules. (How many of us have read eBay's T+C - except Pete Gowdy I'm guessing zero) He took the time to post a FS in the correct thread with some photos and clearly won't by staying. Personally I think he's doing us the favour in this situation (hopefully PigCity gets a good deal).

I don't think that all of the comments were fair and I wouldn't be surprised if we've humiliated him enough for him to run off now.

However - the ones who post in the valuation thread and then disappear I totally agree deserve what they get. Equally members who low ball newbies (which Edd has said is not to happen) are just as bad.

Bramistuta25

Sith Lord
I've been reading everyone's comments and agree with pretty much all if them.

I think it's just a case of stepping back and having a think before we post. Some friendly advice is more productive than a slating comment.

Yes we will get one post wonders, newbies who take their valuations and off they go to eBay, ones who behind the scenes create an auction then disappear and theoretically it doesn't matter what we say, but you never know and I think it's just better to point them in the right direction.

Like Christian said you never know what they have... It may be something delicious!

momike

Jedi Master
I get where people are coming from with this, same time if you cant handle the heat get the **** out the kitchen :lol:

Section 8

Sith Lord
You also need to think that many are also totally new to using a forum. It's totally alien how a forum functions to some, so expecting them to instantly find the introductions page and then spend the time to waffle about themselves to some strangers is expecting a bit much.

I certainly didn't do it.

My 1st thought was I've joined a forum of strange oddballs who like Star Wars too much. Very little of my opinion has changed since.

PS: I like the Tatooine watch. :D

kieatky

Jedi Master
To be honest, I was originally looking for a bit of adult fun and typed in 'swinger ****', when google came back with SW FUK I thought my luck was in :D . Imagine my disappointment when the only sexy figures on view were 3 3/4" tall and over 30 years old :? . Still, I decided to stick around anyway :lol:

db94

Sith Lord
Supporter
Section 8 said:
expecting them to instantly find the introductions page and then spend the time to waffle about themselves to some strangers is expecting a bit much.

Not instantly but I think it's reasonably to expect someone joining a group to first take the time to acquaint themselves, as I said I lurked for a bit first, just reading, then I joined and slowly got involved. This is a forum, a community not a facebook page and there is a world of difference. This should never become a haven for instant drop in then drop outs as it's a quick way to suck the life and enjoyment out of any forum.

Like I said I'm kinda old fashioned in my thinking when it comes to this(damn you youngsters with your MTV instant gratification expectations) but if someone wants to instantly join with no regard for those already established and contributing I'm not going to see them as a quality addition to the forum/community

If people want to be part of a forum and share a common passion they will take the time, if on the other hand they want to join to sell or advertise then fair enough but as they are looking to get something out of it then comply with established protocols as a bare minimum - in other words display good manners

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
Great consideration Bram :D All of us would have appreciated any kindness and help and good advice when we started out in this hobby.

Very thoughtful of u 8)

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
theslider said:
Don't agree; some just turn up saying things are for sale and ask for offers (that's an auction!) and then just disappear. If they can take the brickbats that is thrown at them and stick around then it shows that they can take the 'banter'.

I have to agree here but at the same time it is quit daunting when you first come on. I'm a newbie and did feel like throwing the towel in after a couple of weeks. Like you say tho you have to man up and take it. Good thread and certainly necessary.

SOJ

Sith Lord
It you're gonna start threads entitled "Episode 3
Best Star Wars film" on a vintage collecting page you're obviously a sadist.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Or I could just not give a flying toss what other forum members think of my opinion. :lol: After all it's equal to your's in the western world.

sith-smith

Grand Master
I'm with Bram on this. And it's not the first time this has been brought up.

If there is a set way in which things are to be done on this forum and someone's first post goes against it, I do not see that as an excuse to get the pitch forks out, even if correct forum etiquette has been clearly laid out for people and its not being followed.

I understand that some may be twats looking to cause issues and also that lack of introduction etc can get irritating, but we have moderators on this forum and it should be their job to remind first time posters (and at times longer term members) that there are certain expectations. If the person fails to change the post and follow expectations in the future then they are banned/threads deleted.

A string of abuse/rudeness etc is hardly a good advert for the site, especially as some may be genuine. Let the moderators deal with it. Whether they are genuine or not, the mods can deal with it. The current lack of tolerance I do not feel solves it any better and gives a bad impression of the site.

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
I do not agree with some sort of rule. This forum has always been a place where you can freely voice yourself. Bram asked and that maybe enough to raise the point.

Bramistuta25

Sith Lord
I don't think we are making laws or rules buddy.

Just a quick reminder to be nice. Freedom of speech is all well and good but the unnecessary comments which seem to be instantly made to newbies is becoming an automatic reaction.

If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all.

Bram

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom