Vectis 26th & 27th May

indianawars

Sith Lord
My bids were crushed within seconds! I even thought to myself before the auction, 'Am I really sure I want to go that high!?' It just goes to show how much more people are willing to pay... #gotcaughtupinthehype #needanothercreditcard :lol:

panastur

Padawan
maxf said:
The 'salesman photos' actually had 3 Chromalin type prints in with them, which is why they went so high. You never see palitoy prototypes like this.

I didn't win btw.

This is ridicoulous. These 3 supposed Chromalin type prints are in fact photographic prints taken from the Kenner 1980 catalogue... :cry:
http://www.plaidstallions.com/kenner/80sw.html
Almost every stuff in this auction was Kenner. The flyer, the small catalogue and the 12" Fett photograph is also a Kenner material. The only real Palitoy stuff here is the set of 5 small photographs from toy shops/displays and the cover of the toy magazine (just the cover) with the Pali advert.
This was just insane.

5109_l.jpg

maxf

Jedi Master
The prints are proofs/cromalins from the catalogue though I guess and used by Palitoy - which must give them some extra credence. I knew they were from a catalogue, but certainly thought they were proof items and not simple copies.

Andyclarke

Sith Lord
maxf said:
The prints are proofs/cromalins from the catalogue though I guess and used by Palitoy - which must give them some extra credence. I knew they were from a catalogue, but certainly thought they were proof items and not simple copies.

I agree Max, I had them in my hand and they were on proper photo paper and weren't merely copies. I agree through they went for a ridiculous amount. I'm glad I took a few pics of this lot for the forums.

Princess Raya

Padawan
fuzzybuzzytoys said:
Princess Raya said:
I'm the guilty party on Darth Vader & Luke X Wing. :mrgreen:

Sorry if I'm contributing to the price inflation, but I'm very pleased anyway and they'll be well loved!

I actually hate you

Sorry fuzzy :D Were you after one of them, or just hating?

Palitoyman

Padawan
I was watching the auction and there was a floor bidder who was winning a hell of a lot, would love to know who it was, he (or she) seemed to be going for the high value stuff, it simply went mental today, it would be interesting to see how much Mr Carpenter has made from the auction, the action men stuff was still going last time I looked!!!

I thought I would have a good chance putting in a £1400 for the Greedo, who'd be a Palitoy collector eh!!!!

dianoga77

Padawan
Some nice bits sold today on the star wars palitoy section, unfortunately i could not bid or watch live :cry: but hopefully some more excitement will come from vectis in the future mths 8) Well done to all that got what they wanted :)

walkie

Sith Lord
panastur said:
maxf said:
The 'salesman photos' actually had 3 Chromalin type prints in with them, which is why they went so high. You never see palitoy prototypes like this.

I didn't win btw.

This is ridicoulous. These 3 supposed Chromalin type prints are in fact photographic prints taken from the Kenner 1980 catalogue... :cry:
http://www.plaidstallions.com/kenner/80sw.html
Almost every stuff in this auction was Kenner. The flyer, the small catalogue and the 12" Fett photograph is also a Kenner material. The only real Palitoy stuff here is the set of 5 small photographs from toy shops/displays and the cover of the toy magazine (just the cover) with the Pali advert.
This was just insane.

5109_l.jpg

Oh dear, I bet the buyers shitting his pants now he's just purchased what may end up been a load of rubbish :(

TrisCompany

Jedi Knight
I had nearly 10k worth of prebids on 15 separate items. I was shitting myself that I would win all of it as it would be difficult to justify that hit, but in the end I won nothing. Craziness.

JFK

Jedi Master
Same here ,I've done thousands of bids across the board and won nothing I'm glad though as I'm not well in bed with the flu and I'll be hounest not quite thinking straight 2800 bid on a Death Star and 3000 on a action man judo outfit ,why I don't know as I don't collect action man !!! I was just thinking of a future piece to stash in the draw ,I can picture the wife's face already :D glad I won **** all as I don't have to now :shock:

TrisCompany

Jedi Knight
I'm glad though as I'm not well in bed with the flu and I'll be hounest not quite thinking straight 2800 bid on a Death Star and 3000 on a action man judo outfit ,why I don't know as I don't collect action man !!
ha ha £3k on an action man kit you don't even collect- that's quality. That about sums it up. We must have a screw loose. Would have been amazing if you'd won that. Imagine trying to explain that one away!

JFK

Jedi Master
I know crazy ,right ! That's like a patek philippe watch after fees ,crazy money -I remember the action man stuff when I was young ,I used to nick my action man stuff from woolworths in exmouth market Ec1 sadly it's gone now but as a typical child of the 70s raised by his gran because the dad ****ed off ,there was only one way to get your toys when money was tight ,there was another way collecting those empty returnable pop bottles but that took a lot of effort and could end in turf war with the other kids !! So nicking it was ,woollies was like a walk in toy room ,easy :roll: we all live a million miles away from those days when I see my 7 year old with a ipad ,they have no idea !!

panastur

Padawan
Andyclarke said:
maxf said:

I agree Max, I had them in my hand and they were on proper photo paper and weren't merely copies. I agree through they went for a ridiculous amount. I'm glad I took a few pics of this lot for the forums.

I totally agree with you; these are not merely copies as we can understand it today, made with your desktop printer or whatever laser-copier...
These are "copies" as they used it in the 80's; Photographic prints issued from a negative film/slide. Vectis clearly described them as "photographic proofs", what they really are, and not "Proof" or "Chromalin" as collector may understand it. These last two are a very specific printing process with real 4 colours separation what has nothing to do with a photographic print.
This is how it worked in the past, they shooted a Kenner catalogue they received from the mother company and made photographic prints for the Sales Department.
And this is where the value is; in the fact that these are the material used by Palitoy's Comercials in the 80's...
But are these really worth more than 2K???

maxf

Jedi Master
Not to me, no - I thought I'd be in with a decent chance at £500, but was obviously massively outbid.

JFK

Jedi Master
No way ,I get the toys picking up the big bucks ,but empty boxes and pictures is a step too far in the crazy world of collecting ,what price would you put on a old empty picture frame that used to have a Monet in it ? Exactly fire wood ,a empty box that used to contain valuable 12 backs is exactly that a empty box ,think of all those ex palitoy factory workers getting there head around that fact £hundreds on empty boxes ,they must of walked past pallets of cardboard boxes everyday there either crying or laughing on the price of the stuff they worked on ,probably crying when you consider the prices realy :shock:

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
Richard_H said:
Most Internet bids also come through as floor bidder too. I thought the same last month.

I think bids from Invaluable come through as floor bidder but it is quite confusing the first time you see it. Vectis have at least one person looking at some feed from that site and they bid manually so it comes through as room bidder.

It's very possible to bid against yourself on the Vectis site if you can't remember what your max bid was on Invaluable :lol:

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that if you get to hear the audio you can tell if it's one person hoovering up everything because they call out the winners bid id.

Sounds like lots of forum people tried to buy but didn't get too much. I think people are wise to the fact that there will be other auctions with similar stuff so aren't going mad on bids yet.

Andyclarke

Sith Lord
Richard_H said:
although a lot of forum people won stuff too - I've a shitload to collect!

I hope you get recompensed for this because it must be a massive hassle for you. :(

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
JFK said:
No way ,I get the toys picking up the big bucks ,but empty boxes and pictures is a step too far in the crazy world of collecting ,what price would you put on a old empty picture frame that used to have a Monet in it ? Exactly fire wood ,a empty box that used to contain valuable 12 backs is exactly that a empty box ,think of all those ex palitoy factory workers getting there head around that fact £hundreds on empty boxes ,they must of walked past pallets of cardboard boxes everyday there either crying or laughing on the price of the stuff they worked on ,probably crying when you consider the prices realy :shock:

You've heard of the saying 'Today's junk is tomorrow's treasure' :lol:

Btw, you couldn't be further away from the truth when you're talking about antique picture frames. Firewood?! That would be like burning money ...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom