Anybody remember this?
I remember being so jealous :mrgreen:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    386.7 KB · Views: 1,007

Joe

Grand Master
This is directly related to Vintage Star Wars so I've moved it from off topic :roll: :lol:

Jim Stevenson is still around, his son sells on eBay and I think he still does shows, here is a video interview of him from 2012:

[youtube]u4MPhUBoEME[/youtube]

Doomseeker

Jedi Master
One of the legends, always has(had??) great stuff, very expensive though. He used to have one of the two original prop At-At Driver Helmets and Zuckuss I think, it was high profile in the 90's as they were stolen and have never been recovered.

Used to see him quite a bit up to about 2 years ago in Doncaster and at Memorabilia

DarthStanley

Sith Lord
Supporter
Yeah Jim wasn't the cheapest but to be fair to him,his stuff was mint ex shop stock & you wouldn't have any issues with anything you bought from him afterwards! :D

I bought a mint,clear bubble offerless 79 back ROTJ 8D8 (remember that Joe! :D ) from him for £60 at Birmingham Memorabilia back in 2010.I tried to haggle with him but he wouldn't have any of it! :lol:

ODB

Jedi Master
I haven't seen him for a while now, I know he wasn't well but I haven't heard anything more on it.

He was always expensive and stubborn on his prices but he did always have nice stuff, I've noticed his son appear to dabble with loose stuff more than he ever did.

kingshearer

Jedi Master
I bought a boxed Palitoy Death Star off him about 15 years ago when I worked down London.
I met him at his hotel room since he was down there to be on (I think) the Generation Game with Bruce Forsyth! (It must be on youtube somewhere)
Fair play to him he brought it down from Mansfield. I think I managed to haggle £10 or £20 off him and got it for £275 which was a small fortune back then!
He also told me how he started out, by taking his son round the shops and hoovering up all the Star Wars bargain basements in the mid 80's.
So I suppose we should be eternally grateful to him for saving so much VSW from the incinerator.

not seen jim for a while but I know he is back in hospital again not very well so
wish him a speedy recovery! he split the star wars collection up to go into his 60s
stuff like thunderbirds james bond die cast etc.

Vialli

Padawan
When I last spoke to Jim at Memorabilia a couple of years back, I asked him about the AT-AT drivers helmet which was stolen from him, he said that although it was never recovered, he'd heard or had been informed that it had been sprayed black, in an attempt to turn it into a Tie Fighter Pilots helmet. :(

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
As I mentioned in another thread, Jim is/was the biggest tight arsed, shrewdest dealer I have ever met in my 20+ years of collecting :!: However he also had some of the finest vintage SW I have ever seen too :!: The purity and integrity of his stock was second to none. Nearly all of it ex-shop stock-some amazing pieces 8)
His son Andy is 'Andy's Toys' on eBay. Most of their stock is long gone but Andy sometimes lists some nice shop stock Jedi.

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
Met Jim for the first time in 1990 at Stoke Toy Fair (when there was one), don't think he'd been trading that long as his table was quite small and he had loads of loose figures and vehicles, but a very nice boxed Imperial Shuttle. He was a nice chap to deal with and I recall him doing me a good price on a boxed Micro Collection Bespin Freeze Chamber when I had a table next to him at Buxton a couple of years later.

As Mark has said, he's not in the best of health at the moment, last time I saw him was at the NEC last year. Even though he's clearly not in the game anymore and most of his choice pieces have gone - his stand was still the best there by far and always nicely displayed.

All the best Jim, get well soon.

tronprogram

Padawan
When I used to help out my friend Larry on his Star Trek stall during the 90's and early 00's at Cheshunt and the NEC, we always had great conversations with Jim. He was always a nice guy to us. Always happy to see us and welcoming and asking about family and buisness. And although I haven't seen him in years I would very gladly say hello again. I'm still hoping I can do that one day.

Yes, his stuff was expensive but it was always good and you never doubted where it came from. You should have seen some of the German store displays he had with him at the Cheshunt fairs. They were very impressive.

punk_pat

Jedi Knight
I saw him a couple of time at Harrogate toy fair. The last time was probably in 2007. He was pricing stuff then with prices I would now, in 2016, think were 'almost' reasonable. Vividly remember he had an ESB 47 back Walrusman with an asking price of £150. Almost fell over! Wish I could go back and see what else was for sale as he had a humongous selection of goodies.

Andyclarke

Sith Lord
I used to see Jim at the the NEC, Doncaster and Donnington regularly and spoke to him many times on the phone, he used to tell me all his stories and I really enjoyed chatting to him. Although I had a few pieces off him he was frustratingly expensive and it did feel at times that he just didn't want to sell the stuff, just parade it. I have however come to appreciate him more and more as the years go by as he kind of embodies the golden era of toy collecting when eBay was in it's infancy and the toy fairs were fantastic hunting grounds.
I know he's not been very well at all, but I hope we see him back at the toy fairs soon as Jim's stall was generally the highlight of the show.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
That newspaper photo is interesting - 1989 and he has some stuff that was pretty hard to find back then.

sith-smith

Grand Master
I used to see him all the time at Memorabilia and Cheshunt toy fairs. Loved talking to the guy...he was a mine of information!

Bought a lot from him directly/indirectly over the years. A lot of my 30 backs came from his collection 8)

Hope he's on the mend

sith-smith

Grand Master
edd_jedi said:
That newspaper photo is interesting - 1989 and he has some stuff that was pretty hard to find back then.

For sure, and I imagine that's only a fraction of the mega rare stuff.

Anyone brave enough to do a list of everything that's in that picture? :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom