Return Of The Jedi 40th Anniversary Cinemas

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I found this list of cinemas showing ROTJ later this month, closest one to me is Southampton. It's only on for a few days, have booked the Saturday :)

Odeon
  • Birmingham Broadway Plaza
  • Glasgow Quay
  • Kingston
  • Lea Valley
  • Metrocentre (Gateshead)
  • Milton Keynes Stadium
  • Norwhich
  • Liverpool One
  • Trafford Centre (Manchester)
Cineworld
  • Ashton Under Lyne
  • Basildon
  • Crawley
  • Edinbrugh
  • Glasgow
  • Hemel Hempstead
  • London
  • Sheffield
  • Stevenage
Showcase (3D Only)
  • Bluewater
  • Bristol
  • Coventry
  • Leeds
  • Notingham
  • Peterbrough
  • Reading
  • Southampton
Picturehouse
  • London - Ritzy

kysersozza

I don't think that Showcase Cinemas are showing RotJ in 3D but are showing the film on their XPLUS screens which can show 2D and 3D. It is listed as 2D XPLUS for Showcase Leeds.

Cardbackkid

Jedi Master
Saw it last night with my dad at Norwich Odeon, was great to see it on the big screen for the first time and seats was pretty much sold out.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
It's doing very well, considering its limited release. The screen averages are really high. Should've had a wider release!

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I saw it on Saturday, was great to see it on the big screen again for the first time since 1997, even if it was the special edition. Also worth mentioning the Showcase cinema in Southampton is incredible! Huge electric seats, massive screen, great sound, and no way of anyone blocking your view. Worth the 45 minute drive from me.

Ravefish

I saw it on Saturday, was great to see it on the big screen again for the first time since 1997, even if it was the special edition. Also worth mentioning the Showcase cinema in Southampton is incredible! Huge electric seats, massive screen, great sound, and no way of anyone blocking your view. Worth the 45 minute drive from me.
I also saw it in Southampton on Saturday The last time I thought the cinema was 1983 when I saw it at the Winchester cinema even though I enjoyed it I had the same thought when I left the cinema on Saturday as I did when I left it 40 years ago as a teenager and that was why did they even bother with the Ewoks 😂😂😂
Anyhow the best bit about it was going with my 18-year-old son that alone made it extra special😀

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I think the love-hate relationship with Ewoks seems to be dependent on age, I think they're great but then I was only 2 when ROTJ came out, so didn't see any of the films in the cinema. But I can see how if you were 10 or 12 having seen the first 2 films in the cinema, the Ewoks could seem babyish.

lejackal

Grand Master
My only gripe is other old men moaning about it being the special edition/latest Disney tweaked version. Yes, I prefer the original 83 version but FFS get over it, they're never going to release that again.

I too watched it Saturday and also at a Showcase de lux- as above brilliant seats, screen and sound!

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I'm sure the theatrical versions will surface one day, they'll do it when they need yet another reason to release a Blu Ray/DVD set. They'll probably just pinch the 4Kxx series once Empire has been finished - apart from Lucas's alleged preference of the SE's (got to be kidding himself) the other main reason they haven't been released is because they don't currently exist in high definition, the DVD versions released back in the mid 2000s were rips of the Laser Discs, the best/only digital versions they had of the originals.

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
Saw it Sun at the Odeon Luxe Lea Valley. Took the old man & sister as almost 40 years ago he took us!
As I've said many times Jedi was the first SW movie I saw at the pictures and it is still to this day my best ever experience at the cinema😎
Indeed I'd have preferred to watch the original theatrical version but as Edd said seeing it on the big screen is a treat!. If u haven't seen it on the big screen…..

DreadMack

Padawan
Supporter
I saw it Friday in the Cineworld in Glasgow, loved it, you cannot beat the big screen for picture or sound, the whole experience was superb. My only gripe, no posters to be seen, cinema staff didn't even know about the free giveaway, I suspect the manager has a red hot e bay account 😂

supergoose

Padawan
Supporter
Watched it Saturday with the family at Liverpool Odeon. Good to see it back on the big screen since the last time I watched it at a cinema in '97 and first time on the big screen for both my daughters 23 and 12. It was a great night - sat till the end to hear all of Johnny's awesome score once again :cool: 🎵🎵

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Just seeing this thread, not that it mattered as the closest one to me was……..on a different ****ing island! 🙄

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
It is bloody strange that they've only put it on at a handful of cinemas for such a short time, when you look at the other tripe most are showing! Did they do 40th anniversary showings for Star Wars and Empire? I have no recollection of seeing them advertised

Ollie-Wan

Youngling
It is bloody strange that they've only put it on at a handful of cinemas for such a short time, when you look at the other tripe most are showing! Did they do 40th anniversary showings for Star Wars and Empire? I have no recollection of seeing them advertised
It's odd, maybe they thought there wound't be enough interest? I don't remember there being a 40th for Star Wars in 2017, though it was shown at Star Wars Celebration Europe in July 2016. . There was a 40th anniversary limited release of Empire in 2020, which I saw in September, but for obvious reasons it wasn't widely seen.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Luckily I saw Empire at Secret Cinema a few years ago so at least I got to see it on the big screen again

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
They did- managed to see it but in was between first and second lock down. Remember there was more people cleaning and one way systems than visitors.

Latest posts

Top Bottom