OT: Has anyone added a backdrop to their detolf?

Joe

Grand Master
Slightly off topic but I'm looking at jazzing up my Detolf a little bit with a black backdrop (maybe some toy or film logos, not sure yet) has anyone done anything similar? I'm thinking the best thing to do would be to insert a single large piece of card (or whatever material works best) at the back rather than 4 separate ones but would really like to see how people have done theirs!

If anyone has any clever suggestions on how to do this and what to use please reply!

Edit added some pictures of other peoples attempts:

tumblr_ni8fl4rscj1rq7anho1_500.jpg

figure_lighting_example.jpg

scott82

Jedi Knight
Ive not done anything with mine but I would defiantly think the one large piece running down the back would look a lot better than the 4 separate ones mate.

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
If you're feeling ambitious might be pretty sweet (especially at night) to do something with black backing enhanced with a fibre optics for that star field effect.

fibre-optic-star-effect-ceiling-image-2.jpg

Dannywhiteley

Jedi Master
I took mine to bits and covered the back in black vinyl. Firstly it looks much cleaner, and secondly it stops any light coming through from behind (mine sit in front of a window albeit with the blind down).

I then took a few old damaged cardbacks and cut out the logos (SW, ESB, ROTJ and Trilogo) and stuck these in the centre back of each shelf. Looks really good and very cheap to do.

Joe

Grand Master
Dannywhiteley said:
I took mine to bits and covered the back in black vinyl. Firstly it looks much cleaner, and secondly it stops any light coming through from behind (mine sit in front of a window albeit with the blind down).

I then took a few old damaged cardbacks and cut out the logos (SW, ESB, ROTJ and Trilogo) and stuck these in the centre back of each shelf. Looks really good and very cheap to do.

That's a good shout Danny, do you have a picture of yours? Not sure if I can be arsed to take mine apart, might just cheat and cut it slightly smaller so I can stick it on from the inside :lol:

Matt- the fibre optic lights inserted in a black backdrop would look amazing!

Dannywhiteley

Jedi Master
Difficult to photo as my collection is squeezed in. This is the ESB loose figure shelf though. Same on SW, ROTJ and Trilogo for last 17.

20161007_200640.jpg

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Aquarium stores sell black 'plastic/paper' backdrops on a roll to cut to length. Much better than paper as it won't fade and the colour density is impressive. Stick to the outside would be the way to go...

Dannywhiteley

Jedi Master
Get black (or any colour) sticky back vinyl on a roll from any decent DIY. Apply it to the back and spray the glass first with soapy water to help squidgy out any bubbles.

lejackal

Grand Master
Vaguely on the same subject - has anyone fitted locks to theirs? Any recommendations?

itfciain

Grand Master
I have some logo'd stickers for the Detolfs but haven't gotten round to photographing them yet !

itfciain

Grand Master
lejackal said:
itfciain said:
I have some logo'd stickers for the Detolfs but haven't gotten round to photographing them yet !
For sale or just in your own?

haha - for sale of course - they are sat with Neil but like everything I just need some time to get them sorted

Next year I will have loads more goodies available - just need a few more hours in the day!

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Really like the Deltofs stood on the drawers in that second shot... not so sure about the contents or wiring though...

Dannywhiteley

Jedi Master
lejackal said:
Vaguely on the same subject - has anyone fitted locks to theirs? Any recommendations?

Depends on your level of concern, as to level of security but I just wanted to stop the kids from opening so put one of those spinning shed style latches on each one. When it's in the locked position, little hands can't get at the goodness inside.

lejackal

Grand Master
Dannywhiteley said:
lejackal said:

Depends on your level of concern, as to level of security but I just wanted to stop the kids from opening so put one of those spinning shed style latches on each one. When it's in the locked position, little hands can't get at the goodness inside.
Not thinking from a security point of view, just needs to stop a rampaging 3 yo

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom