Anyone using light boxes?

welshwookie

Jedi Master
Supporter
What are you all using to take photographs of your carded figures etc ?
I'm thinking mainly for insurance/ cataloguing purposes, and something instead of a mobile phone.
Thanks Paul

welshwookie

Jedi Master
Supporter
99% just my mobile - rarely get the light box and DSLR out for the collection.
I seem to get a bit of reflection on times, the thinking was I could control this with a light box.
I'll probably play around with a white background first, and see which room works best with the natural light.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
I use camera or mobile. I have no problems if I take pictures of figures standing up or cardbacks and moc standing up. If they lay down I get problems with light. I also think it is better to take pictures when it is sunshine outside and not later when it is dark. Find the correct room, not all rooms or places is great for pictures. Sometimes I use natural light other times I use light from a lamp.

welshwookie

Jedi Master
Supporter
I use camera or mobile. I have no problems if I take pictures of figures standing up or cardbacks and moc standing up. If they lay down I get problems with light. I also think it is better to take pictures when it is sunshine outside and not later when it is dark. Find the correct room, not all rooms or places is great for pictures. Sometimes I use natural light other times I use light from a lamp.
I seem to pick up the kitchen spotlights - even though they are not on. Will have to play around when I have time :unsure:

Pomse2001

Grand Master
I seem to pick up the kitchen spotlights - even though they are not on. Will have to play around when I have time :unsure:
I had the same problem in my kitchen, the lamp was the problem until I choose the moc and cardbacks to stand up. I still have the problem when it is dark outside. So I ahve to take pictures in the day time when there is sun.

Darkest_Logic

Jedi Knight
hi Paul,

apart from mobile phone only other option is a camera with dslr but to be honest, If you have a newish phone, there is no point using a camera plus it will save a lot of time using your phone.

regarding light boxes, I think they are good to use but can get a bit pricey (depending on size) but you can always get something like a ring light and a backdrop which would be cheaper to buy.

I hope this helps.

sith-smith

Grand Master
I bought a relatively cheap light box from Amazon. Normally I just take images with my mobile and the box helped. Main problem was the quality of my camera phone, which isn't great.

kabuchi7

Padawan
Supporter
For photographing the miniatures i paint i use a decent daylight lamp and an A3 sheet of paper laid flat then curled up the back of the wall behind my desk.

I make sure the light is towards the front and i can get some pretty decent photos.

Although i've never tried using this method for my moc's as i've still not found the time to photogragh them all. Perhaps the light from above would reflect too much onto the bubble🤷‍♂️

Latest posts

Top Bottom