Mmmm impressed not I am with my first AFA piece :(

threaders

Padawan
Hi chaps,
This arrived today and I have to say I was a tad dissapointed with it. It is graded 75% near mint and I paid a lot for it at £230 posted :(
100_2556_zpsc73a1bb3.jpg

100_2558_zpsb38021ce.jpg

100_2557_zps3de18cec.jpg

100_2559_zps82443a33.jpg

I was happy to pay the money for it hoping that I would receive a near mint example, which would be hard to beat and improve upon, but there are a few issues with the box, which I would have thought AFA would have been quite strict with.
It was advertised as MISB but the sellotape has pealed away on both end flaps. There is a big crease running down the side of one face and some wear in the top corner. Most of the corners are dog eared and worn and there is also some wear to the graphics on one face and quite a bit of edge wear all over :(
Am I expecting to much? I think the pics make it look better than it is to be honest, but I would appreciate your thoughts :) I have an AFA 75 Y wing on its way and an AFA 80 Vader Tie, so will compare and post up pics when they arrive, but I dont think Ill buy anything else graded at a 75 in future. I have seen alot better ungraded examples :(
Thanks for looking and hope to get some opinions :)

skywalker

Jedi Master
Doesn't look great does it mate,, the corners especially look really rough.

I would have expected more also for an AFA 75,, we all know how strict and anal they can be so it is a little surprising I think a 65 would be more like it for that one.

Having said that I found this one graded AFA 85 and it is still rough in the same places as yours, although maybe a little cleaner,, this is how I would have imagined your 75 to look..??

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Star-Wars-ROTJ-B-Wing-Fighter-MISB-AFA-85-/380807736842?nma=true&si=RbCkr07eJxPx1ELBbdzs1hoQRYU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
AFA take a lot more from the hobbie than they give. Just get an acrylic case and grade it yourself.

Sorry you got screwed mate.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Sorry mate to read this :cry: I would never buy AFA or any other stuff graded.

As grant says buy a acrylic case and grade it yourself :wink:

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
From memory, when I was buying, I noticed a massive difference between an AFA 75 and and AFA 80. I don't think it was purely psychological, but it may have been.

PM Coming.

threaders

Padawan
Yep that AFA 80% B wing is lovely, but the price on that is sky high :( I recieved an AFA 80% blue snaggletooth this morning and its stunning and even though it cost alot, you feel happy that you have own something which is close to mint and will stay that way:) I havent recieved the other afa pieces yet, but from what I have seen, I wouldnt recomend buying anything graded less than 80%. Certainly on the vehicles anyway.
I will probably end up selling the b wing on as I would prefer an ungraded one in better nick than an afa 75%. We will see. Looking forward to weasel's pm :)

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I must admit I've always thought that boxed vehicle grading by AFA is more fair than figure grading. For example, I think 75 is actually pretty fair for your B-Wing. It's not completely ****ed, no massive rips or anything, and I think saying it is in 7/10 condition is pretty fair.

However often with MOCs you see them get graded 80 or even 75 when in reality they are 95% perfect with just very minor imperfections.

So personally I think you are probably just used to seeing harshly graded MOCs rather than this being an over-graded vehicle.

Stormtrooper37

Sith Lord
The AFA grading system is a joke, I have an AFA 75 Trilogo, which IMO should be lower bubble bashed, figure has marks on it etc. Yet another Trilogo gets an AFA80 and I can't really fault it.

momike

Jedi Master
Tbh mate that looks pretty spot on for a 75, like someone else said there is a big difference between 75-80 and same with 80-85, also the tape could of possibly come loose after it had been cased

lee gray

Sith Lord
Unfortunately if i was ever to buy something that was graded 75 i wouldnt expect too much in the condition department

threaders

Padawan
Thanks for the replies fellas :) I guess if you of it as being 7/10, then that seems fair and accurate. I just never had or have seen an AFA piece, so thought a 75 grade would have been a bit better to be honest.
Its up on ebay at the moment as I might have a chance to get a 80 graded one, but we will see what the difference in price is from a 75 to 80 grade :)
Thanks for your comments as some have cheered me up a little :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom