Black light.

Lonebudman

Jedi Knight
Hi all

I haven't been collecting very long and i'm still learning all the pitfalls and tricks of collecting.

Recently I purchased a loose Princess Leia Organa which looked very white in the sellers photograph and paid a fair amount for it.Then when it arrived I was very disappointed as it didn't look anywhere near as white as the photograph.At first I thought it was a different figure I had been sent but I could see a small mark on the figure which was the same as the figure in the photograph.Then I thought it was the flash from the camera that made it look so white and tried to replicate the effect with my own camera but it still didn't look anywhere near as white as the photo.I then realised it was probably a black/uv light that has made it look so white,I looked at the sellers other listings and right enough you could tell a black light was used.

Is this a common practice sellers would use and is it frowned upon within the collecting community?
Personally I think its an underhand tactic to sell figures as there is no way I would of paid the amount I did knowing a black light had been used.
I did however pick up an excellent Princess Leia Organa figure for a quarter of the price I had paid for the first one on a BIN so it kinda balanced out.

Also on the subject of this particular figure,the first figure I bought had a smooth different textured cloak than the second one,the second one makes the zipper sound where as the first one doesn't.
I believe there is a variation on cloaks for this figure but how do I tell if the smooth cloak is genuine?

P.S. its my first proper post so go easy on me lol!

itfciain

Grand Master
I have to say that sometimes when I take pictures of some of the whiter figures, like the Stomies and the Hoth Stormies that they can come out a bit whiter - however if there is yellowing then I will always mention it.

If you bought it through ebay and are not happy then you can always get your money back if you return the figure as not descibed.

Lonebudman

Jedi Knight
Unfortunately I purchased this longer ago(jeez time flies) than I thought so can't return it now and as it was among my first purchases I didn't want to kick up a fuss as I had such little knowledge then.
As I said I initially thought it was camera flash but couldn't replicate the sellers photo.
I don't want to name and shame,I just avoid the seller now.
As far as I know UV reaction depends on the chemical make up of the object.
It was definitely a black light as I looked at the sellers other items and you could see the glow on the lighter colours.
Judging by you guys reaction it mustn't be a widespread selling practice,thankfully.
Any thoughts on the differences of Leia cloaks I mentioned?If necessary I can put pics up,cheers.

.Q.

Jedi Master
Welcome aboard Lonebud!
My Leia is from my childhood, I have the Jedi backer for it so I'm assuming it was off that card. The cape makes a light zipper sound on the inside, the outside is smooth / glossy. The experts herein will be able to offer greater advice I'm sure.

The overexposed or maybe tweaked pictures can indeed make things look frosty white, experienced this myself on a pair of R2 and R5's off feebay, luckily for very low cost, so didn't get stung bad, but deffo a lesson learnt. Your best bet is to buy from the trusted sources on this very forum.

snaggletooth

Jedi Master
I can't help you with the light trickery but I do know some collectors use those black lights to check out figures they buy as they show up any touch ups added after the original paint job.
Some of the euro figures capes don't make that zip sound either, what markings does she have on he leg(s)?

Lonebudman

Jedi Knight
Thanks for the help guys,heres some photos of the Leia with the smooth cape:

Please let me know if these images are too large,cheers.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom