afa olive hair luke bespin

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
Me personally I think what a load of old bollocks :!:
Luke Bes comes with yellow hair or brown hair and that example on eBay has brown hair as far as I am concerned :!: I don't rate slightly diff shades of brown as true variants and certainly don't think it makes that figure worth £700 or a 3 figure sum for that matter :!: :!:
You would b better off investing £700 in a lovely original carded example 8)
But hey that's just my opinion :wink:

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
palitoyjunky said:
Luke Bes comes with yellow hair or brown hair and that example on eBay has brown hair as far as I am concerned :!: I don't rate slightly diff shades of brown as true variants and certainly don't think it makes that figure worth £700 or a 3 figure sum for that matter :!: :!:

Amen to that! I would perhaps add orange hair as a legit variation, but as you say anything else is just different shades of brown/yellow paint. Bloody variant collectors :lol:

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I remember the days when this place was packed full of people discussing all these amazing variants, that were little more than differences in paint or molding. I genuinely remember someone being chuffed with a figure that had a "slightly raised bar, but not as raised as my 'raised bar'" :roll:

Thankfully, I think all these people are now safely back where they belong, with their nice coats that fasten at the back.

BlueDog

Sith Lord
I've always found what some consider variants a bit odd at times. Even more notable ones like white hair ObiWan vs Grey Hair. Why are one's like that considered a ok yet Yoda comes in five thousand shades of green but only one or two are considered a legit variation.

This Luke bespin is a genuine bull **** variant good to see AFA see themselves so much of an authority on variations that they've started inventing their own.

talldroid77

Padawan
Well personally I don't mind variations on figures I like where there is a striking difference - if you want to display a figure twice with say a vehicle and a playset why not have two different ones? This olive green thing however seems ridiculous....

What should I buy a brown hair luke bespin loose or a minty 12bk? Decisions, decisions..... :lol:

Its like with those lfb orange hair figures - i wouldn't mind one and nearly bought one on here in a mixed afa lot - around £50 per figure it worked out. 6 months later someone in the US sells an afa 85 for $2000 on eBay (a standard euro brown afa 90 was also sold by the same seller for $1000 at the same time) and all of a sudden they are changing hands on fbook for silly money - correct me if I'm wrong but i had never seen them personally at such high prices prior to that eBay sale. Seems a bit fickle.

Anyone want to buy an xwing 3/4 raised bar for £500? :lol:

Please note I'm not trying to have a go at variant collectors or say their stuff is not worth what they may have paid just that these sudden high asking prices don't seem quite right in my eyes :wink:

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
edd_jedi said:
palitoyjunky said:

Amen to that! I would perhaps add orange hair as a legit variation, but as you say anything else is just different shades of brown/yellow paint. Bloody variant collectors :lol:

To b totally fair the orange hair example is v interesting and indeed v different from the yellow and brown :!: But still not worth anywhere near the £700 :!:

Robstyley

Sith Lord
Totally agree, there are generally agreed or documented major variants, in this case Luke Bespin with blonde hair and brown hair. I know some of the figures have minor variations but I thought they were just a slightly different shade or batch of paint used and not intentional. It's interesting what people consider a variant. You have some figures where the colour of plastic is different and/or the painted part is different like the Rebel Trooper legs. Some think variant, some not? I collect what I consider major variants, like flat 2-1B and metallic or grey IG-88 and silver etc. I do think these so called rare variants with olive hair and green this and that for inflated prices are bollocks though. People just clutching at straws and trying it on, hoping they'll fool some new collector.

indianawars

Sith Lord
Some wonderful points made about true variants. Like most, I'd have to say AFA are just being silly with what they so-call a variant. In my view, a true variant would have to have a major difference in paint app.

itfciain

Grand Master
Sure there was a post on this already - but it is ridiculous - and as Ryan says, this is just a silly AFA label that is prompting the 700GBP price

Considering these figures were made over a number of years in multiple factories and since then, have been stored in numerous different climates then it is very difficult to say what is a true 'variant'

That said, I love the fact that people do collect these, just the same as paint app and factory errors - seeing them in display is cool and the dedication that these guys have is quality. I have done it before myself - I have 10-15 Han Hoths - all slightly different - trouble is when I went back to look at them a couple of months later then I couldn't figure out why some of them were :lol:

Robstyley

Sith Lord
Interesting you mention the Han hoth Iain. Not considered to have any major variations as far as I know but I've ended up with one with a bright pink face and one with a pale yellow face, and the leg paints are different, one is more yellow/darker. You have 15!! I think this is just the minor variation thing, as you say different factory, different paint, different time, who knows why?

itfciain

Grand Master
Robstyley said:
Interesting you mention the Han hoth Iain. Not considered to have any major variations as far as I know but I've ended up with one with a bright pink face and one with a pale yellow face, and the leg paints are different, one is more yellow/darker. You have 15!! I think this is just the minor variation thing, as you say different factory, different paint, different time, who knows why?

Here you go Rob - this was a picture of some of the ones I have - think I added a few more since then - http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9517&p=181595&hilit=han+hoth#p181595

bobbybobs

Padawan
Hey guys. I haven't seen the specific example on ebay but the olive haired Luke Bespin is considered by variant collectors to be a legit variant.It's not simply a slightly different shade of brown. The hair colour alone makes it a variant but the face sculpt will also be different to other shades of brown. Not to mention paint apps on the holster, boot colour etc etc. Anyway each to their own when it comes to whether you appreciate variant collecting or not I guess.

That said, the seller is deadset off their face with that price. It's really easy to find. I only paid about 30 euros for my complete ones . They go for a bit more now though. The AFA grade means zero to me.

Christian

talldroid77

Padawan
Well I'm assuming you know what you are on about Christian and if your right that answers the initial question really and alludes to the listing being over inflated. Saying that I've never had one in my hand and thought thats olive green - the ebay pic looks quite brown.

You could never say they could be that rare though could you? Suppose I'm a layman really. I would like a ginger lfb think are very interesting but ye wouldn't want to pay some of the premium prices you see on instinct.

Good library of Han hoths Iain btw :D

bobbybobs

Padawan
Hey mate. I collect Luke Bespins, including the loose variants so I have a bit of knowledge about them. Doesn't mean I'm not wrong though!

I haven't seen the fig you are talking about so it may in fact not be the olive one. It does exist though. I guess though it can be arbitrary how we label them, especially these shades of a colour. I go by the classification developed by Alex on TIG, who is the most knowledgeable about Luke Bespin. Check out some of his research below. It's outdated though.

Christian

http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t5449-my-bespin-luke-limelight-research

aussiejames

Sith Lord
weasel said:
I remember the days when this place was packed full of people discussing all these amazing variants, that were little more than differences in paint or molding. I genuinely remember someone being chuffed with a figure that had a "slightly raised bar, but not as raised as my 'raised bar'" :roll:

Thankfully, I think all these people are now safely back where they belong, with their nice coats that fasten at the back.

might have been me :lol:

go on, click the link: https://sites.google.com/site/starwarsbespintest/paint-differences/hair

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Cheers for that, my insomnia has been horrendous recently. That's me guaranteed a good night's sleep tonight! :wink: :lol:

talldroid77

Padawan
bobbybobs said:
Hey mate. I collect Luke Bespins, including the loose variants so I have a bit of knowledge about them. Doesn't mean I'm not wrong though!

I haven't seen the fig you are talking about so it may in fact not be the olive one. It does exist though. I guess though it can be arbitrary how we label them, especially these shades of a colour. I go by the classification developed by Alex on TIG, who is the most knowledgeable about Luke Bespin. Check out some of his research below. It's outdated though.

Christian

http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t5449-my-bespin-luke-limelight-research

That's a great link Christian thanks - bookmarked :) . One of the olive ones especially does look a bit on the green side of things looking at it lol

Here is a link to the eBay one if you are interested. This one does not look very green in the pic.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Star-Wars-AFA-85-Luke-Bespin-OLIVE-GREEN-HAIR-Rare-Variant-Figure-/221893128747?hash=item33a9dc722b

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom