AFA Grading

BatintheBelfry

Padawan
Hi all,

Simple question, is getting figures AFA graded (or the UK equivalent) worth it?

Now that I'm starting to add to my collection, I'm starting to get some figures which I think would get a decent rating (others, not so much!). But if I'm just keeping the figures for myself I don't imagine getting them graded is all that worthwhile, especially given the cost of doing that. Although there is the possibility that I might sell them on later if I upgrade, so graded figures might fetch more.

Opinions?

jabbawokkie

Grand Master
if your keeping them for your self whats point of paying someone else to tell you you have a great figure/cardback when you all ready know

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
It is sometimes possible to pick up graded figures or MOC's for less than ungraded ones. The joys of Ebay.

BatintheBelfry

Padawan
weasel said:
It is sometimes possible to pick up graded figures or MOC's for less than ungraded ones. The joys of Ebay.

At which point you've gotta wonder why bother going through the expense of grading them, only to make less money on them (potentially).

As Jabba said, if you're keeping them, there's not much point. But if you can't guarantee that a graded figure will bring in more cash than an ungraded one when you're trying to sell them, I'm not sure why you'd do it.

Rudyard

Jedi Knight
Reasons to do so: authentication, presentation, 'independent' view on condition - logic suggests that if a piece if graded reasonably highly, then it should only add to the value - but of course a piece is only worth what someone is prepared to pay, so you never know on the day.

Darth Wensleydale

Sith Lord
It depends really. If they are loose figures for yourself then I really wouldn't bother as it is pricey. I think it is worth getting done for certain carded figures, especially the better condition, rarer or pricier ones. My thinking behind this is partly to do with insurance. Its an independent view of the figure's condition which could assist in a claim. It can also help in relation to resale but as Weasel says there is no certainty in this ebay lark.

01AB

Jedi Knight
Once there in that plastic box, you cant get them back out and play with them!

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
What's been said. Worth it on resale for high grading high price carded figures and also for insurance purposes.

Jason

gustie

Sith Lord
i collect loose only and wouldnt bother with grading them either

the grades given can come down to who is grading/mood/time of month etc

i reckon u could send the same figure in twice and maybe get a different grade anyways

craignwo4life

Sith Lord
I've got a few "rare" variants that would grade highly (IMO) that I am considering sending to AFA incase I sell them in the future.

Variant collectors don't like AFA graded loose figures but then again they are always complaining about repro / fake Ledy capes on ungraded figures!! :lol:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom