2023 Collecting round up & 2024 Plans

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
So I figured we were close enough to the end of the year to think about this one. (although maybe Dec will see a last splurge of purchases and gifts... Farthest From on the 10th maybe...)

Last year I said I wanted to round of my POTF2 Collection and focus on 40th Anniversary stuff and re-collect some Vintage boxed items. It is safe to say I went well beyond that and some...

I think I have ended the years with a complete run of carded figures (no variants, just one of each figure) from 1977-2001 and for POTF2, POTJ, EP1 almost a complete set of vehicles/playsets. On the Vintage side I got all my wanted sets (AT-AT, Ewok Village, Rancor, Slave 1 & Jabba's Palace, plus a whole bunch more, mini-rigs & creatures). There was also a random Rebels run (which is now complete) and WOW was there a lot of modern stuff, loads of Black Series stuff and TVC. - so safe to say it was a big old year (and I am ignoring the Lego stuff that came in as well...)

But it was also a year where finally I think Hasbro jumped the Shark - So many kit-bashed sub-standard figures and the pricing and the packaging... OMG they have lost the plot now, all of which helps make a plan for 2024, which I think we see a return to vintage as a focus.

So for 2024 I am thinking:
Ashoka line will be the last big line to collect in both Black Series and TVC (ending with The Ghost, which looks stunning) and really completes the Rebels line if we are honest
I suspect I will get the odd TVC figure, but will try to stick to prequel and OT films only and Clone Wars and depending on where the Retro Collection goes, I'd like to keep that complete - although the price of a 5 points figure now is so silly...
Vintage wise, I think looking for more boxed vehicles (B-Wing, Y-Wing, Tie-Fighter) is likely, complete the Mini-Rigs, an Imperial Shuttle would be amazing, but unlikely. I also think I will add to the 37 loose figures I picked up in 2023 and see if I can start building towards 96.....
And Lego - always Lego...

Hardly a slowdown, but I would say much more limited on the new stuff, which is now hit and miss with the quality and over priced and a big refocus on Vintage sets, which means slower purchase rate - I would also like to use less Ebay and stick to IRL shop purchases - that would be nice.

I also plan on putting the entire collection in one place for the first time ever....

Feel free to share your round up and plans...

Here's a link to last year's thread: https://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/threads/end-of-2022-collecting-review-and-2023-goals.43877/

Last edited by a moderator:

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I've had a good year, picked up POTF Han Carbonite, Warok, Amanaman, Kenner 41A Leia Hoth and Tri-logo new figure sticker Anakin Skywalker. Also got a boxed complete pretty mint Canadian Castle Greyskull, assembled but unplayed with. All in all a good year, think that's probably it until 2024. Christmas is looming large! 😂 But never say never.

Next year may just see me pick up a couple more MOCS and maybe a MISB Battle Cat.

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
01: Skywalker Ranch Pinot Noir Wine
02: POTF2 Grand Admiral Thrawn
03: Blix Carleen Black Series
04: ESB 32 Back Yoda
05: EP1 Aug/Sept '97 Call Sheets

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Great wine region where Skywalker ranch is, been to the areas south of Skywalker ranch and had some of the best wine ever. Sad they lost a lot of vineyards when they had those wild fires a few years back.

Capetown

Staff member
Supporter
The year has flown by really. :( But I've had a pretty great collecting year, picking up the final potf playpack I was still missing, a Kenner Death Star, a Kenner Collector series DV Tie Fighter, a PBP 'Moto Jet' Speeder bike and a Droids Side Gunner. I've also found some nice box upgrades.

For next year I don't have a lot of expectations. Maybe a Droids ATL Interceptor. I would love a Palitoy Droid Factory, but finding one in (next to) unused condition has been hard. A Wicket in Palitoy baggie is also on my list.

kabuchi7

Padawan
Supporter
2023 is drawing to a close and i'm one carded figure away (Biker Scout) from putting together a run of new figures released on the ROTJ cardback. Hopefully I can get one before the years out🤞

2024 i think im going to concentrate on picking up some ESB moc's, hopefully the Bounty Hunters and an FX-7😀

Last edited:

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
2023 list
UK Topps Series 2 sealed wax pack- no
'The Force' Lightsaber (red)- no
I know it's not SW, but would like to complete my Action Force Series 1 MOC run. Still need Mission Pilot, Arctic Assault, Mountain and Arctic, Naval Assault, US Paratrooper. Would be happy with good reseals. - Got Naval Assault and Arctic Assault (need a bubble for a reseal).

My major find was a Death Star Canopy, which wasn't on my list, as I'd given up hope and stopped looking.

Loose solid dome R2 (got one last year, and promptly lost it on a night out!)
UK Topps Series 2 sealed wax pack
'The Force' Lightsaber (red)
POTF2 Expanded Universe MOCs (all of them!)
Action Force MOCs: Mission Pilot, Mountain and Arctic, US Paratrooper + series 1 twin-stemmed bubbles for reseals.

Last edited:

Jez

Sith Lord
2023 has been an awful year for me which I can't wait to see the back of. I also moved some MOCs on to help fund a wonderful holiday with my wife, so I've actually got less Star Wars than when I began 2023 but I'm entirely happy about that. That said, Star Wars for life and I'll always be a collector. This year I have added a Klaatu/Klaatu Skiff Miscard and a couple other carded figures. I've bought a few pieces of Modern including plenty of TVC and a Hot Toys Luke Bespin.
Plus the Generation Skywalker crew are just about to get massively back into vintage and are looking forward to the Farthest From Xmas.

2024 Goals: Have fun collecting. Enjoy a fun trip to Lucasfilm. Maybe score lucky with a VCJ. Get a lovely Palitoy Death Star. As a say, it doesn't matter how much we do or don't collect in a year, Star Wars for life :)

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
I just picked up a CAP-2 boxed - or rather I found a pretty good lose one (slight yellowing on the top) but OK and an empty box and put the two together - certainly not minty, but will do the job.

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
Trying to get images to load. Got there....
thumbnail_IMG_8613.jpg

welshwookie

Jedi Master
Supporter
2023 has surprisingly finished the 20 back set, and I have picked up 5 excellent
Tri logos, 2 for my L17's so pleased with that.
2024 perhaps a 12 back or L17, as prices seem to be dropping slightly , and inserts to finish a boxed vehicle would be nice.

sith-smith

Grand Master
In some ways it's been a good year. Picked up my first miscard since 2017, so was great to break that dry spell. And my first Palitoy MOC since December 2020 - I think that's the longest it's ever been without picking up something - plus it completed a run I've been working on since 2005 :cool:

On the not so good side, is the sheer cost of everything now and the realisation that 2024 my be the beginning of another long wait before I get to pick up anything new.

But you never know I guess! :unsure:

So my hopeful collecting plan for 2024 is to pick up something 😁

kabuchi7

Padawan
Supporter
I ended up starting my 2024 goals a liitle early and picked up an esb moc IG-88 the other day😀 oops!

Robstyley

Sith Lord
I like reading these threads. It's a buzz seeing what people are after. I've all but stopped collecting these days. Haven't bought any Vintage this year. Have sold some MOCs, cardbacks and other bits. Just sold my mint unpunched 77bk Luke X-Wing, which almost made me weep 😢 But I got over three times what I paid for him and it's not a figure that holds that nostalgia we all talk about. Never had him as a child. I bought a Black series Mandalorian and a few prop replicas.

I have to admit I've got the itch again a bit lately. I think I might buy some Vintage next year. Not sure what though. I am after a ROTJ/Trilogo transition cardback. And I need a few weapons for my loose set (that I'll prob never get). Wouldn't mind a nice mint loose Max Rebo band.

Latest posts

Top Bottom