Yakety-Yak: An accidental Yak focus (UPDATE: 23/02/12 -Pg 1)

ewok13

Padawan
Just got a Yak in the door yesterday, bought him for about 6£, so I have two so far. I bought my other Yak for about 2.5£, some time ago. Both bought from peoples childhood collections, and just wanted to get rid of it, so got quite lucky. :D

yakface.jpg

iDrew

Padawan
ewok13 said:
Just got a Yak in the door yesterday, bought him for about 6£, so I have two so far. I bought my other Yak for about 2.5£, some time ago.
Absolute bargains :shock: :shock: 8)

With regards displaying Mr. Yak, was he right or left handed???

I currently have mine displayed holding his weapon in his left hand, just wondered what the consensus was :?:

PGowdy

Grand Master
Amazing ewok13. I like to pick em up cheap (pride myself on it) but that is taking the biscuit. They look tip top too.
Very nice.

Mine are all right handed (as in, i've put weapons in the right hands) but i don't know what hand he is supposed to be. I'm sure he's holding something in the Jabba scenes.

tatsie

Jedi Master
Auckland New Zealand but from Newbury in Berkshire
PGowdy said:
This is the beginnings of my Yak focus. I never intended starting one but i happened to pick up a couple quite cheap and then the tri-logo came up for sale which had been a holy grail of mine from day one. Then i thought i'd see how many more loose ones i could get on the cheap.
The latest one arrived today, he is the furthest back one and the only one with paint scuffs, tho they are fairly minor. He doesn't have a weapon either but i have a Nikto in the post :wink: , Anyway he was £35 quid but amazingly not the cheapest of the 4. :eek:
I hope to add a few more over the coming months... if i can get em cheap enough. :D
IMG_1869-1-1.jpg

________________________________________________________________________________________
UPDATE: 8/03/11

An new, updated group shot. (minus moc)

DSC_0008-2.jpg

Haha, let's go to Yak war.

PGowdy

Grand Master
Siiigh, it's one of those phenomenons in a way. They are sought after purely because of their reputation as a rare figure. Tho they are not rare at all. Possibly one of the more common figures. They were never released in the US so it started out that all 'mericans wanted to get their hands on one of these. Now it's more of a trend. Everyone wants one and so the price is inflated.
There are always at least half a dozen to a dozen of these at any one time on ebay.uk alone which in my book makes them the very opposite of rare. You try and find as many of ANY moc at one time on ebay.uk and think you'll struggle so that puts in in perspective a little.
I literally started this focus to prove the myth of them being rare was nonsense. Even state side now there are bundles and bundles of these. Almost every collector has one and i have collected these 9 in about half a year.
If you had enough money you could buy up 100 of these in less than a year, easy! I think it would be harder to find 100 imperial Stormtroopers with original skirts.
Don't get me wrong either, i'm not grumbling (i usually am to be fair), i like this "rare" tag attached to these. I wouldn't be collecting them without it so i have fallen to the myth just like everyone else. I also happen to like the figure. I think he's one of the stranger ones and there's something about that grin... :)

PGowdy

Grand Master
Glad you got through it without falling asleep... lol
and - oh no! what have i done?!... lol
All i'll say is be careful how much you pay for one. Depending on how fussy you are with condition you need never pay pver 60 for one of these (i haven't payed over 55 and that one was mint as feck).

It's one of the most inconsistent, in cost, figures you can buy. This month alone the cheapest Yak (which i bought) went for 43 and the most expensive went for 120. The one i bought did not have a weapon but was in exceptional condition. And i picked up a weapon for £4. It's unlikely you'll get many on ebay for 43 unless its a real beater but they sell for 55-60 every other day or so and often in really nice nick.

drew

Padawan
Thanks for the heads up on prices there. I will make sure i wont go over 60quid for one. I do remember a vintage collector who owns a toy shop telling me a few months ago the prices on yak faces have come down and probably witnessed your winning bid as an example.

PGowdy

Grand Master
By all means give a little extra for one in amazing condition and you want it enough, i'm just giving you a guide so you know what should and shouldn't be spent on these things. Also be careful with sellers describing the weapon as "original". Most sellers are assuming this and 3 or 4 times out of 10 the weapon will be repro. It's usually not dishonesty on the part of the seller it's just they would have acquired it without knowing and often aren't experts. The evil and unavoidable result of repros i'm afraid. If you need help on the weapon verification give me a shout.

drew

Padawan
I have learnt alot in short space of time. One of them was about gradings if a seller listed something as a C 10 it is bull! As rarely anything reached that grade even a complete minter. I have seen a few C 10 listed stuff on ebay and believe its from an inexperience seller falsely advertising it with very little info too.

PGowdy

Grand Master
Yeah a lot of collectors don't like the C grading system as it's too objective. I don't mind it as long as it's honest enough as at the end of the day you're not buying the figure based on what someone is saying. You look at the pics and if they aren't good enough you ask to see more and if the seller won't show you decent pics then don't hand over your money. It's basics. Having said that it's only the seller who will lose if he has overrated his figure. If he calls it mint and there is a single imperfection on it you can get your money back as it been misdescribed. It's much smarter business in the end to be open and honest.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom