Vintage Stickers

bosk70

Jedi Master
Supporter
Snaketibe said:
Darth Bobby said:
bosk70 said:
As bad as nick o teen remember him, how we loved to peel those suckers off and stick them all over our lovely crisp new shiny x wings only to regret it 40 years later who knew :D :lol:

I regretted it 40 seconds after I'd put them on. Still winds me up 40 years later. Worse than nick o teen in my book.

I never really understood the appeal of them anyway. Perhaps I was an unusual child, but I always hated the look of the battle-damaged stickers and couldn't understand why anyone would want to permanently make their ship look 'battle-damaged' in any case! Quite apart from the fact that the so-called 'battle-damage' looks like nothing of the sort (and it certainly never appeared in the films), since all the ships you did see on screen were undamaged (old and dirty, yes, but undamaged), I couldn't (and still can't) grasp why on Earth anyone would want to stick the damn things on!... The power of a gimmick on some young minds, I suppose! :-D

I think at the time with fisher / kenner / toltoys / parker smash em ups / stock car smash up, and the hot wheels crack ups and even later the he man damage chest figs, and crash test dummy's', manufacturers have always had the idea that kids like smashing toys up and showing real damage and battle scars, so they would always try to start a new fad of battle damage stickers, think they did some for the tie fighter, as well at some time :?:

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
bosk70 said:
Snaketibe said:
Darth Bobby said:
I regretted it 40 seconds after I'd put them on. Still winds me up 40 years later. Worse than nick o teen in my book.

I never really understood the appeal of them anyway. Perhaps I was an unusual child, but I always hated the look of the battle-damaged stickers and couldn't understand why anyone would want to permanently make their ship look 'battle-damaged' in any case! Quite apart from the fact that the so-called 'battle-damage' looks like nothing of the sort (and it certainly never appeared in the films), since all the ships you did see on screen were undamaged (old and dirty, yes, but undamaged), I couldn't (and still can't) grasp why on Earth anyone would want to stick the damn things on!... The power of a gimmick on some young minds, I suppose! :-D

I think at the time with fisher / kenner / toltoys / parker smash em ups / stock car smash up, and the hot wheels crack ups and even later the he man damage chest figs, and crash test dummy's', manufacturers have always had the idea that kids like smashing toys up and showing real damage and battle scars, so they would always try to start a new fad of battle damage stickers, think they did some for the tie fighter, as well at some time :?:

From memory, we couldn't find an un battle damaged X wing so I chose the battle damaged one. Maybe they discontinued the original white one? I was initially disappointed that it was grey and not white. Once the main stickers were on I realised there were stickers left over. Assuming they'd come off I curiously applied them. However there was no going back. It probably was a cash in, not sure. Plus the electrics never worked. Never a favourite toy after that.

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Bonsai_Tree_Ent said:
I know Rich is anti repro and this forum is too. I have to say for me personally I don't like seeing this thread. These aren't pics of stickers these are actual scans designed purely for repro.

This thread has already had 1488 views too! Far more than most other threads on the front page. Worried that this is contributing to the problem. :(

I get your concerns Matt, but the scale and quality of the scans isn't that good for easy reproduction

I think its likely that its had more views than most on the front page because the thread is around 4 years older than most on the front page... all those Google Bots in that period of time alone will have driven a huge chunk of that number of views

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
Oh I didn't spot that it was an old thread! Necro bumped 4 years later - although the fact it was bumped by a new user wanting a repro R2 decal isn't a good sign...

Richard_H

Grand Master
Yeah I just put these up a few years back as they're nice to see. They are poor quality so wasn't concerned with them being used to make repro.

Ian_C

Jedi Master
Bonsai_Tree_Ent said:
I know Rich is anti repro and this forum is too. I have to say for me personally I don't like seeing this thread. These aren't pics of stickers these are actual scans designed purely for repro.

I was a bit stunned also to see this thread here, and especially all the positive comments from people hoping to use them. :(

I get that it's 4 years old, and size/quality isn't the best, but without a watermark, there are definitely people who will try and use photoshop to make them work.

Is it possible to do that Richard? Add a watermark? I agree it looks cool to see original sticker sheets, but I'd hate for you to inadvertently help the repro people.

Ian

Ian_C

Jedi Master
Well, I wasn't looking to have you do that. :( You know how strongly I and others are opposed to repros. That's why I commented. I surely wasn't trying to upset you and have you remove them outright, Richard. :( Apologies.

Ian

Richard_H

Grand Master
lol - I rarely get upset. I meant I can't be arsed yet to watermark then. :lol:

Will do it one day. I have 8 weeks off work coming up so may do it then

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom