Upside down bubbles.

Nick_IoW

Sith Lord
After reading through the other thread, and seeing the 'upside down' bubbles. And also seeing the Palitoy factory video. How did bubbles get attached upside down?

I can see how the tie-fighter pilot one happened... its the card that's upside down not the bubble (easily doable as the card fits upside down or back to front). The tooling matches the exact shape of the bubbles (as you can see on the double stem on the pali vid when she slots it in) - so its impossible to put a bubble in upside down. Only thing I can think of would be if they put the tooling in upside down (though I suspect, just like the bubbles, these only fit in one way also as most things like this do to stop such errors) - but as they seem to be done in pairs it's a bit strange that someone would put one in one way, and one upside down at the same time.

Or maybe the other thread is creating paranoia.... or is it.... yeah it is.... or is it....

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
Upside down bubbles would suggest that they were assembled in a different way from the machine at the palitoy factory if what you say
about how the machine works is true. And given that upside down bubbles only occur on a couple of card/figure combos that
would also suggest assembly by some other method. There would be more card/figure combos if it was a mistake you could generally
make in the assembly process using the machine at the palitoy factory.

:eek:

Jason

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
I have worked in factories where machines can be customised by simply adding or subtracting a piece.

It not hard to imagine that this could be done.

Nick_IoW

Sith Lord
Maulster79 said:
I have worked in factories where machines can be customised by simply adding or subtracting a piece.

It not hard to imagine that this could be done.

I doubt the top part of the tooling has the changeable parts, and suspect these ones weren't customizable at all cos it's cheaper to get solid ones. Most likely the mould was placed in upside down.

But... I'd still think it would fit one way only. I'd love to see them if anyone has pics anywhere?

aussiejames

Sith Lord
US_and_Austrailian.jpg

:mrgreen:

BadMotivator

Jedi Knight
Yeah, these things were made in factories all over the world so they'll all be using different machines with their own tooling made for each machine. It perfectly reasonable to imagine that some could be put in upside down by mistake. And I've worked enough boring repetative jobs to know that your average worker isn't going to give a toss about quality control, it just means more work for them, so the odd one slipping through is not suprising. A whole box however... :wink:

wrighty

Sith Lord
Must be a glitch in the machinery to place the bubble upside down?? Or human error, can't be arse!!

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Bit of info here

There is a reference here to the Toltoys upside down

http://www.toltoys.com/2009/07/star-wars-toltoys-update-our-latest/

Here too
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t4490-my-toltoys-collection-part-2-updated-7-7-12-new-pics

And here
http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1089158/

Stormtrooper37

Sith Lord
I always liked this up-side down bubble, which was deliberately sealed to the card back upside down to hold the head in place

Hammerhead PBP Spanish MOC

http://theswca.com/index.php?action=disp_item&item_id=80132

søren

Jedi Knight
I have had a kenner Jawa rotj 65 with the bubble upside down . The gun was even taped in the wrong side .

As I remembere there are more of them out there .

Also have a Han Hoth kenner 31 back with the card upside-down .

batman

Padawan
As far as i understand from ace's post the hoth troopers with the upside down blisters came from the same source a couple of years after palitoy had stopped producing them.
Is it possible the batch these cards belonged to didn't pass quality control and ended up in a corner of some warehouse waiting to be repacked or destroyed depending on what would be the most cost effective way of dealing with these kind of errors?
This would explain why there's only a couple of card/figure combo's as they were not meant to leave the factory like this.

BadMotivator

Jedi Knight
batman said:
As far as i understand from ace's post the hoth troopers with the upside down blisters came from the same source a couple of years after palitoy had stopped producing them.
Is it possible the batch these cards belonged to didn't pass quality control and ended up in a corner of some warehouse waiting to be repacked or destroyed depending on what would be the most cost effective way of dealing with these kind of errors?
This would explain why there's only a couple of card/figure combo's as they were not meant to leave the factory like this.

SPECULATION WARNING!! IF YOU DON'T WANT TO READ UNIFORMED BS DON'T READ ANY FURTHER!!

I know I said I wouldn't post anymore on that thread but I can't resist (This is a different thread anyway :wink: )

In my (uniformed) opinion the upside down Hoth Troopers in question didn't come from the Palitoy factory and heres why:

1) We can see from the factory footage that the bubbles only go into the machine the correct way round. So it would mean that the die had to have been put in upside down that day which is perfectly possible as they would have been changing these dies all the time depending on what figure they were packing that day. But, (and I may have imagined this, so please correct me if I'm wrong) didn't someone say that it was the wrong bubble? That would mean that not only did the die have to had been put in upside down, but also the wrong die put in AND the person operating the machine would have to been given the incorrect bubbles, but coincidentally the bubbles that matched the mistaken die. AND only someone who had never worked the machine wouldn't notice that the bubbles weren't right (Of course this might explain the whole thing, if a new guy had to set up the machine as well as operate it).

2) If these got flagged up in QC there's no way they would have kept them. The person who made the mistake would have got a bollocking and made to spend their lunch break ripping the figures off the cards! What absolutely wouldn't have happened is that they stored them. Can you imagine the floor manager giving the box to the warehouse manager and saying: "Here you go mate, store this box of rubbish we can never sell indefinitely for me please." Anyone who's ever run a warehouse will tell you that space equals money.

At this point I'd also like to counter my own argument: I work with companies that run large manufacturing operations and even the biggest ones are run in a constant state of 'make do'. Its perfectly possible that mistakes could have happened and then the box simply thrown into a corner and forgotten about. And lets not forget, we don't know where Aurthur bought them, they could have been ex-shop stock for all we know that made it through Palitoy QC.

So in summary, if I had been running the Palitoy factory in the 80s there's no way these upside down cards could have been made. But as I wasn't they easily could have been. :lol:

batman

Padawan
Thank god i'm not allowed to operate heavy machinery, i would be receiving a lot of bollocking and missing way too many luchbrakes :lol:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom