U Grades

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
I must be honest, I hate repo's and especially U Grades.

I feel that repos that are marked repo's is OK i guess, i know its hard especially for younger fans to buy this stuff and inserts aren't easy to come by.

U Grades are a threat to collecting. They are nothing more than a vanity project. I feel they give nothing to collecting and take everything away, especially to someone who cant afford carded figures and would be over the moon with a Klattu on a beater card.

As i am new to this forum and wish to be respectful to those whom have paved the way here i would like to start a discourse to discuss U Grades.

The point I would like to put forward is:

U Grades are a threat to the cultural heritage of film, toy and Star Wars collecting. As a front to show that the market rejects this idea, i would like to ask the moderators of www.starwarsforum.com to ban the selling of U Grade figures on those site.

Personally i don't like banning anything- but theres good reason why being a racist or homophic is banned in certain places.

Its because its detrimental, repressive and ****ing sucks. Like the Nazis (and U Grades)

What do you guys think?

PGowdy

Grand Master
I don't ever recall a UGraded item being sold on this site in the 2 years i've been here. If i did i'd have said something about it to whoever's sale it was. It's just not as popular a practice in the UK as it is in the US.
I fully support the banning of selling UGraded items or posting links to such sales on this forum. It is the practice of idiots. Created by idiots for idiots.

phantom

Jedi Master
I think alot of people are against the whole U-grade thing, as many have voiced their opinion in the U-grade faq sticky here.

I personally dont collect alot of AFA graded ones at all, I dont mind em thou. However Im against the U-grade, and agree with you as I also was over the moon at one point when the first beater MOC arrived.

itfciain

Grand Master
Pete

I think a lot of the AFA loose figures listed are often U grades. I don't want to start a witch hunt but have seen two or three listings of these in the past couple of months.

Iain

PGowdy

Grand Master
If it says AFA in the title then i usually don't even look at the sale so must have missed those. Anything AFA puts money in the pockets of the cretins who invented and continue to nurture this barbaric practice.

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
There are U Grade items on this site.

I would like to have a witch hunt either. But the term 'witch hunt' carries a lot of negative baggage.

I feel it could be done very discreatly without any fireworks with a gentle message.

Not trying to start a revolution here. (But if one ever happens I wouldn't lose any sleep)

Immobilising the market would send the right signal.

phantom

Jedi Master
Browsing thru ebay atm, and alot of items are listed as "Removed from MOCs" "Removed from Baggie".
What is the motivation for this ? Surely the value must go down, not to mention that one is destroying something that cant ever be replaced. Even if someone were to create the perfect loose collection it must make more sense to sell off beater MOCs/Baggies and just buy perfect loose ones.

jedi_masters

Sith Lord
Supporter
Was searching through eBay yesterday and came across a whole load of U grades. Made me really mad and I was on the verge of contacting the seller to voice my disgust. I'm not a lover of AFA stuff anyway, but for some items I would only get a graded piece as it most of the time proves authenticity. AFA have ruined the collecting world by having this U grade available. Something definitely needs to be done to stop this distruction of our collectable's.

plantman

Sith Lord
We cant judge people just because they own U grades, you are entitled to own and sell what you want SW wise.

The way to stop pointless U grading is not to pay the stupid prices and thats it.

If you have a fettish for U grades you need your head seeing to, but would i buy a U85 fett....yes i would for exactly the same price as an 85 one.

spoons

Grand Master
I'm not a fan of u grades, but this place has always been pretty relaxed and banning things like u grades goes against that. There's a big difference between toys and racism or nazis :wink:

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
The chilled out atmosphere is what makes this place so attractive and i totally understand that banning U Grades would undermine that.

But I would ask to sit on it and give it a thought or perhaps a vote over a few months to gather some feedback.

Maybe? Give it a go? Maybe?

e30318is

Sith Lord
I don't like U grades- I have a u graded takara wind up r2- it's in it's baggie and was u graded from a sealed carton. I almost didn't buy it because of the letter.

So am I going to be banned for owning a U grade?

I think it's riddiculous to proprose a ban.

Will I ever send an item off for U grading? No.
Do I like U grading? No.
Am I going to get rid of my U graded Takara R2 baggie? No.

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
No one said any thing about banning.

That would be even more radical. If you read the forum it never mentions banning.

The conversation is about not allowing the selling of U Grade Items.

Please read the posts again.

FLETCH

Padawan
hello everyone i have a u grade for sale right now on the sale section i didnt realise this would cause a dispute i dont send stuff for U Grading myself nor do i pay inflated prices for U grades i bought the item because it was a 90 grade infact i got it in job lot of graded figures from the US i have several U grades in my collection and i understand why people are against it but unfortunately i dont think it will ever stop

Tom

skywalker73

Jedi Knight
Im not a fan of the U grade,And I dont see the point of opening how many cards just to get that perfect figure and I dont like the people who profit from it but at the end of the day you should be able to collect what you like.To me an 85 a 85 if its got a u infront of it our not.To say its barbaric is a bit of an overkill theres a lot more worse things going on in the world than someone opening toys...My two cents :wink:

PGowdy

Grand Master
I can see both sides of the argument but just to test the "laid back, free market" philosophy here, would people be ok with someone selling those minty repro Stormtroopers here?

skywalker73

Jedi Knight
Repro a different ball game.In fact many people buy afa/ukg because theres a lot of repro items.Just this week I sent in a R2 for grading which turned out to have a repro sticker.I had my doubts and posted on line for guys to check it out and everyone said it was fine.Sent it to steve at UKG and he spotted it straight away. When youre spending money you want to be sure its said thing your buying... :)

see vintage reference library:REPRO STICKER!!!IT IS UPDATED

FLETCH

Padawan
thats not good lee this is the problem and with new repros appearing all the time and now fake figures that look like the originals

skywalker73

Jedi Knight
FLETCH said:
thats not good lee this is the problem and with new repros appearing all the time and now fake figures that look like the originals

yea mate,this is why a lot of pepole are going to afa for loose figures because they know they are original :(

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom