Tunes that time forgot.

PIGCITY

Sith Lord
2stripes said:
I saw the Stone Roses at Heaton Park this weekend just gone. Was brilliant, loved them for 20 years and never thought I'd get to see them live. To put it in perspective I used to have every single they ever released and even knew the serial numbers off by heart... :oops:

Kudos to the Wedding Present fan too, they along with the Fall are two of the most underated bands you'll find.

5 Classic albums..err The Stone Roses, The Clash, Pixies (Doolittle), Smiths (queen is dead), Stones (Exlie on Mainstreet). That list would change daily though.

Glad you like the Wedding Present thats two of us...Always been on the fence with the Fall though

I spent an hour solid trying for tickets to the Roses gigs in November but got nowhere near. I did hear the toilet and beer situation was ridiculous which are two things which can really spoil a gig for me.

I still have all my Roses vinyl have all the 12"s apart from 'I am the resurrection' which goes for stupid money on the Bay

søren

Jedi Knight
jackabina said:
jabbawokkie said:
i often just get the greatest hits
listen to pink floyd
mj greatest hits ,weather he did or didnt do what he got accused of made some great music up to bad album
bon jovi crossroads
def lepard
guns and roses
oasis early stuff

my fav most recent albums are
black eye peas the end
james morrisons songs for you truth about me
and though i hate everything they have done before love coldplays new album

The opening to Guns and Roses, Civil war is one of my favorite bits of music, ever!

I like the sample in the start :What we've got here is a failure to communicate. from the movie Cool Hand Luke

2stripes

Jedi Master
PIGCITY said:
Glad you like the Wedding Present thats two of us...Always been on the fence with the Fall though

I spent an hour solid trying for tickets to the Roses gigs in November but got nowhere near. I did hear the toilet and beer situation was ridiculous which are two things which can really spoil a gig for me.

I still have all my Roses vinyl have all the 12"s apart from 'I am the resurrection' which goes for stupid money on the Bay

Oh yeah the drinks situation was shocking, they had a sign saying "bar entrance" right by the entrance to the section at the front of the stage and after queing for ages and getting near it got told by a stewart, if you're after the bar this isn't the entrance!? People were turning round and getting ig each others way, I just gave up. It was pretty rowdy to be honest several fights while waiting for them to come on so could have done with a beer to take the edge off! Great set though, played the whole of the first album and 8 other tracks. As a set up it was **** but didn't matter, loved it.

Yeah I sold each of my cd singles for up to 20 quid each a few years back, spent hour trawling second hand record shops to collect them and then they reissued them! Think because mine were originals they sold for more, dunno suprised how much they went for tbh. I have a bit on vinyl too, I Wanna Be Adored 12" etc but I'm getting back into collecting it so gonna hang on to them.

Fall are gloriously inconsistent, but Sparta FC#2, Free range etc when they're good they're excellent.

Frunkstar

Grand Master
David Tree said:
Sticking out like a sore thumb, I have Future Sound Of London currently playing whilst working

Not sticking out like a sore thumb to me dude, I love FSOL, I have the BBC live radio broadcast still on tape which I listen to often, some of there best work ever IMO, also love most of the Megadog label stull like eat static/banco/time shard etc & not M.D but Ozrics rock, also love classic rock like Sabbath white snake Def leopard G.N.R etc.

But you got to love the oldies, these 2 always remind me of my dear old Dad -

[youtube]WhNM2K8cmU8[/youtube]

& this classic

[youtube]cd_Fdly3rX8[/youtube]

& got to add this one as I bloody love it -

[youtube]InRDF_0lfHk[/youtube]

JuniorChubb

Sith Lord
Frunkstar said:
David Tree said:
Sticking out like a sore thumb, I have Future Sound Of London currently playing whilst working

Wasn't going to post here (for fear of sticking out like a sore thumb with Jungle and Old Skool Hip Hop) but got to say thanks for posting 'Paint it Black'.
Absolutely love that track, I am off to download it now to add to the music PC.

Cheers Frunkstar :D :D :D

PGowdy

Grand Master
Good choones there frunkster.

I'm finding it difficult to add to this thread as i listen to all sorts of "forgotten" music from the 1930s-2010s. I used to do a vintage set at a pub in london playing only tunes from the 1940s-1970s and at least half of it was fairly obscure stuff. Still got people dancing in the aisles tho. Good choones is good choones. :wink:

søren

Jedi Knight
JuniorChubb said:
Frunkstar said:
David Tree said:

Wasn't going to post here (for fear of sticking out like a sore thumb with Jungle and Old Skool Hip Hop) but got to say thanks for posting 'Paint it Black'.
Absolutely love that track, I am off to download it now to add to the music PC.

Cheers Frunkstar :D :D :D

I love old school soul and hip hop . So please post some JC . From 91 to 94 there where a lot of new , now old school #2 wich is now totally forgotten.

Here's one . Anyone know where they got the bass line from ? Been wondering for 20 years :)
http://youtu.be/WCgCu9zCOIQ

PIGCITY

Sith Lord
I'm not too sure that Digable Panets baseline is a sample. I use this site to find out the origin of samples and that one doesn't show up. I may be completely wrong though, which would not be unusual

http://www.whosampled.com/artist/Digable%20Planets/

The rapper Butterfly from DP produces and features on the new THEESatisfaction LP on SUB POP. Quite a jazzy Avant Garde listen though :?

JuniorChubb

Sith Lord
søren said:
I love old school soul and hip hop . So please post some JC . From 91 to 94 there where a lot of new , now old school #2 wich is now totally forgotten.

Here's one . Anyone know where they got the bass line from ? Been wondering for 20 years :)

Didn't know the sample off hand (had trouble remebering the Digable Planets version let alone the original), but Wiki helped me out...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reachin'_(A_New_Refutation_of_Time_and_Space) Scroll down and it mentions this track ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8l6RUAyD10&feature=related ). Hope your search is over :wink:

And here is something for you from '93. Should be quite recognisable...

[youtube]NKXMZlw_efM[/youtube]

2stripes

Jedi Master
Ah love tribe called quest, Jungle Brothers, De La Soul and all the afrocentric stuff. Also Gangstar, Mos Def, Tricky don't listen to enough Hip Hop anymore! Think It Takes a Nation of Millions bu Public Enemy is my favourite Hip Hop album though, just pipping 3 feet high and rising.

Frunkstar

Grand Master
Def leppard used to be my favourite band josh, till poor old Steve bought it & the music changed & your a bit late with the zagger & Evans :lol: thought its worth listening to more than once, bloody love that tune!

[youtube]hqyc37aOqT0[/youtube]

[youtube]bVzROK6em2Q[/youtube]

[youtube]A61i0Xscj-k[/youtube]

PGowdy

Grand Master
'Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick' = Tune!

'Sledgehammer' is a top tune too. Been listening to a bit of Peter Gabriel recently as i was going through Genesis back-catalogue which then got me listening to both Gabriel and Mike & the Mechanics. 'Games without frontiers' and 'Solsbury Hill' by Peter Gabriel are both great tunes as well.

PGowdy

Grand Master
søren said:

Do you mean the organ riff going all the way through in the background? There's no bass-line on this track.

The organ riff is sampled from the track 'OD' by Jimi Hendrix, Lightnin' Rod & Buddy Miles.
[youtube]mt6rI7RWz5k[/youtube]

søren

Jedi Knight
PGowdy said:
søren said:

Do you mean the organ riff going all the way through in the background? There's no bass-line on this track.

The organ riff is sampled from the track 'OD' by Jimi Hendrix, Lightnin' Rod & Buddy Miles.
[youtube]mt6rI7RWz5k[/youtube]

PG and JC .

Thanks for the info . On my cd it sounds like a bass line , but yes i can hear the organ . But now i know where it's from thanks guys .

I saw the Last poets live in 1995 . They where very cool as i remember them . They palyed a nice cover of the Gill Scoot Heron number :)

http://youtu.be/QnJFhuOWgXg

Josh

Sith Lord
Frunkstar said:
Def leppard used to be my favourite band josh, till poor old Steve bought it & the music changed & your a bit late with the zagger & Evans :lol: thought its worth listening to more than once, bloody love that tune!

[youtube]hqyc37aOqT0[/youtube]

[youtube]bVzROK6em2Q[/youtube]

[youtube]A61i0Xscj-k[/youtube]

:lol: :oops: I just started banging songs in yesterday...should of had a look what had been posted up already.
What can I say...you have good taste in music I guess.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom