Today on Facebook...

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Here's the last four years worth of visits. The big spike near the beginning is when this website broke the Toy Toni scandal. As you can see, it's growing healthily thank you very much.

swfuk-stats.png

Feel free to share your groups stats. Oh that's right, you don't have any...

naughtyjedi

Sith Lord
pubs are aged platforms, but I still go in them.

I use echo to sell any beaters I have spare, to pick up the odd ship part or gun. And occasionally be an asshat when I feel the need. its a good place to visit.

swfuk for me is home.

momike

Jedi Master
"As somebody else has said, FB will never replace forums and other types of website as it's simply not designed for anything other than throw-away chat"

Says it all to me too :D

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
think about this:

In this hobby:

Forums can exist without Facebook groups.

Facebook groups cannot exist beyond the most basic buying and selling without the resources of the forums.

There is ten years worth of content here. To just dismiss forums in the way that you are is so disrespectful to the people who trod this path before Facebook groups.

case in point, the toy Toni scandal broke here. The research was done here. Mr palitoy built his guide, that you all use and quote on a daily basis, from information that broke here.

Let's say forums die and Facebook takes over.

That thread couldn't have happened on Facebook.

spoons

Grand Master
edd_jedi said:
Here's the last four years worth of visits. The big spike near the beginning is when this website broke the Toy Toni scandal. As you can see, it's growing healthily thank you very much.

swfuk-stats.png

That's really interesting Edd. Essentially current usage is on a par with the Toni scandal on a daily basis

I wonder if the more knowledge seeking members of Facebook groups are seeking the forum out, or if there is a general spike because of the TFA etc, or a bit of both

Could it be that FB is increasing membership here :)

Either way I'm with Pete. SWFUK is home

A lot of the FB group members presumably feel the same about their groups but I prefer my home to theirs :p

naughtyjedi

Sith Lord
there must be a thesis out there somewhere about online communities. Facebook, I thought, was going to be the replacement of forums in natural migration due to it having the resources to adapt to hardware and software demands. But I was completely wrong (thank the lordy). Forums are the place for shared knowledge with social engagement. I don't feel like writing much of my waffle on a facebook group because most people see the link to read more and probably move on. On a forum, its more likely people will use their time to take each post in context and read it all. (cue the abuse)

Apple, BT, etc are all using forums to gather knowledge. It saves them customer service time and makes sense that us the people who use the products will hold in our brains that vital user experience a call centre person may take 5 years to even touch the base of that fountain. When I can be arsed to do research for the podcast its forum posts on here, RS, TIG that repeatedly appear in my searches. For this hobby its VITAL these places are kept alive.

We probably take for granted the utter amazing job Edd and Joe and spoons and Jason etc put into keeping online knowledge bases alive. Thank the maker...

xbomber

Padawan
I think it's all been said. I use both forums and Facebook groups as they serve two different purposes.

There are cringe-making David Bent-style antics on Echo (see my signature for a recent example) and a bit too much backslapping for my taste ("Hey everyone, I sent Bob this figure for free because that's the Echo way")... BUT it's great for buying and selling and introducing people to this fine passtime.

Hopefully the prices they're stoking will settle down a little soon.

RetroDan16

Padawan

Wow. Continue to condescend all you like, however I won't retaliate.
Here's some stats 'that I don't have'. These are from the last 30 days.

As I say, my original gripe was not about stats, numbers etc, but you keep on as if numbers are important. They're not. Make of these what you will, they prove nothing either way.
I don't give a toss about numbers. All I stated was that forum use has seen a steady decline over the last few years and will continue to do so. That's not sniping at this forum, it's just how the internet is evolving. I would imagine Reddit will replace forums before Facebook does.

Attachments

• Screenshot (63).png
    Screenshot (63).png
    21.9 KB · Views: 64
  • Screenshot (64).png
    Screenshot (64).png
    5.7 KB · Views: 64
  • Screenshot (65).png
    Screenshot (65).png
    16.8 KB · Views: 64
  • Screenshot (66).png
    Screenshot (66).png
    6 KB · Views: 65

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
Average 9 words per comment really sticks out. ****, I need another word. Done it. :?

Interesting seeing both stats. Even though I always say I don't care about stats. :?

RetroDan16

Padawan
xbomber said:
I think it's all been said. I use both forums and Facebook groups as they serve two different purposes.

There are cringe-making David Bent-style antics on Echo (see my signature for a recent example) and a bit too much backslapping for my taste ("Hey everyone, I sent Bob this figure for free because that's the Echo way")... BUT it's great for buying and selling and introducing people to this fine passtime.

Hopefully the prices they're stoking will settle down a little soon.

Your signature and its usage sums up the attitude of this thread perfectly. Mocking. Belittling. Elitism.

RetroDan16

Padawan
tiefighterboy said:
RetroDan16 said:
tiefighterboy said:
i know feel fully educated thanks.

Edd alleged I couldn't provide stats, I provided stats. As I say, they mean nothing.
Well they are pretty and made me slightly horny.

If I'd put the pie charts up, you might have had an accident then!

I'm not going to bang on that forums are dating badly, but I noticed there was an option to add my ICQ handle in the profile...

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
Dan,

Could you answer my point about the toy Toni scandal, and how, if as you suggest, facebooks take over from forums, how something like that could ever happen again but on Facebook?

What I mean is a community driven investigation into one of the biggest issues to come to the fore of collecting in recent years, that resulted in exposure on national television. Tell me how that could happen using an average of nine words per post?

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
Plus, while I think about it, if you took my posts of your site, along with a couple of similar minded people the word count per post would probably go down to about six.

Stop banging the the drum about elitism. You won't even let other people mention other groups or sites on echo. If that isn't elitism I don't know what is. In fact, the only site you will let them mention is tusken traders, and why is that? So you can, as a group, belittle them. It's narrow minded views like that drive threads like this.

You guys are really nothing more than a giant car boot sale. Beyond that, there is nothing there. Its a good car boot sale, as it has so many people through the door but beyond that, there is no substance.

Lom

Jedi Master
Supporter
RetroDan16 said:
Wow. Continue to condescend all you like, however I won't retaliate. Here's some stats 'that I don't have'. These are from the last 30 days.
RetroDan16 said:
Your signature and its usage sums up the attitude of this thread perfectly. Mocking. Belittling. Elitism.
RetroDan16 said:
I'm not going to bang on that forums are dating badly, but I noticed there was an option to add my ICQ handle in the profile...
An attempt to condescend, mock and belittle whilst coming across as elitist in that final quote - care to add hypocrisy to your growing list of traits?

Top Bottom