This is where all my senses end...

TheGent

Jedi Master
And still I am aware of the golden rule: If I try to sell some of my stuff on ebay, the prices end up far from that. :?

walkie

Sith Lord
TheGent said:
And still I am aware of the golden rule: If I try to sell some of my stuff on ebay, the prices end up far from that. :?

Same here, everything I want to buy costs a fortune, anything I sell fetches peanuts :(

x-pack said:
Ha! May I just say - 1991 - the Yak i still have - picked up for less than a fiver. Get in! :D

Makes no ****ing difference because it's not like i'm about to sell him 8)

Shite I got ripped off in 2004 as I paid £54 :lol:

Bootyhunter said:
How about this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181678307628?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&autorefresh=true

You won't here Sergio complaining his latest loose variant sale made a small fortune!!

sith-smith

Grand Master
x-pack said:
Ha! May I just say - 1991 - the Yak i still have - picked up for less than a fiver. Get in! :D

Makes no ****ing difference because it's not like i'm about to sell him 8)

I can go one better

Yak I picked up in 92

50p 8)

Joe

Grand Master
Still not had the opportunity to meet or interact with any of these rich buyers yet! I'm sure they must all frequent the moremoneythansense.com forum :lol:

jambobbyb

Jedi Master
It's a bubble being fuelled by new collectors who aren't very smart and it will burst, anyone remember Phantom Menace and the old yahoo auctions?

sith-smith

Grand Master
Do you think their is a sudden increase in collectors for vintage?

I guess it is a distinct possibility what with Ep7 coming out.

I noticed in the early/mid 90's after the 'Thrawn Trilogy' books made Star Wars popular again that prices shot up then.

No more Yaks for 50p at Car boot sales. :(

In fact all the local Car boot sales I went to had figures for sale for a minimum of several pounds even common and incomplete and many ran out of Star Wars by 94/5. It had all been bought by dealers and being sold in collectors shops for significantly more.

I'd given up on collecting for a while in the late 90's so didn't notice any impact of TPM on vintage. Was there one?

jambobbyb

Jedi Master
Hi Gary if you can stomach it take a look at some of the Facebook groups and what's posted, one of the new collectors has bought $15-18000 dollars worth of AFA stuff in under 9 weeks. A lot of these collectors are paying huge bucks for common figures Kenner 12 backs are a favourite. I was around for TPM I had got into vintage in 1997 after playing shadows of the empire couple of years before TPM came out I collected loose figures from charity shops and local contacts. prices in the run up to TPM went crazy I sold a MIB Kenner speeder bike for about £40 they don't fetch that now do they? And 6 months after it was released prices were through the floor. Same will happen here.

sith-smith

Grand Master
Wow! And these are people who have literally just got into it?

Wonder what is driving that. Surely just a new film won't be enough.

When did the internet start to make collecting easier? I know it's an everyday thing nowadays, but when I first started it was still very much collectors shops, shows and the collectors and modellers mart.

Don't think I made use of it until 2001.. (Just checked and I didn't join eBay until Feb 2001, so guess it would have been then)

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I started collecting MOC's 98/99 and some of the prices I paid haven't reached the same price evan now. £200 for a POTF EV-9D9. :? That said I was 19 with to much spare cash. :lol:

I certainly think their's a lot of wealthy people that have come into the collecting world in the last 3 years or so and they seam to be obsessed with AFA and high grades at that. Some people think that the 12 back prices are going to slump again after the hysteria of the new films has gone, but I can't see that happening. I mean is a 12 back Luke that's worth 2K at the moment only going to be worth 1K in 5 years time? Only time will tell. :roll:

I guess it's a case of supply and demand and Star Wars is going to become more popular now Disney are in the driving seat IMO.

PS Same here Pomse2001. :cry: I'd say early 00's ebay really took off :?:

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
It depends on whether the new film is **** or not.

I think prices will level out at some point - they have to, as most things do BUT if this new film is an absolute MASSIVE critical success, then who knows. The vintage market may see another surge in the anticipation of the sequels.

It may even fuel a price rise on some of the newer stuff as collectors are priced out of the vintage stuff.

If you're in it for the £'s then now is a good time to be a seller for sure.

sith-smith

Grand Master
Pomse2001 said:
I hope this prices will go down again, some of the rare items I still need cost to much for me :(

I hope so too.

There are lots of things I'd like to also collect, other than Palitoy MOC (which in all honesty has always been a little crazy in price...now it's just insane)...but if all things continue to rise in price then it won't be possible.

Shame.

sith-smith

Grand Master
You would have thought though that if someone was going to get interested in vintage star wars, they would have done by now. Unless there's a load of 40 somethings who have held off because of family commitments and now have the cash to start throwing at things?

Can't imagine it's loads of younger collectors who have no childhood nostalgic memories or the necessary disposable cash to cause the rice in prices.

It could also be dealers/collectors who already are involved trying to buy everything up in the belief that with the new films prices will go sky high and they'll make a killing.

Glad really I've never seen this as a financial venture

indianawars

Sith Lord
The problem with all these newbies is they have no lasting power... They snap up all these items, paying way over the market value, only then to realize they've over spend and lost all the passion for collecting because they got caught up in the hype. That's when they try and sell up firstly for what they've paid and then having to settle for a fraction of the cost because they were the only ones stupid enough to pay that much in the first place! That's when I hopefully pick up a bargain :D

sith-smith

Grand Master
I have seen that happen many times with collecting.

They also start, realise it's going to take a long time to complete what they set out to do, and lose the passion because their initial motivation for starting was not necessarily suitable for a long haul hobby like this.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom