The forum is silent

lejackal

Grand Master
While FB has its uses - and admittedly it is a lot easier/quicker to buy/sell on there - it lacks the depth and quality of discussion that we have had on this site. I wonder though if that's what people/new collectors want?
I think most of the detailed discourse that would have happened on forums now happens in group chats on messenger, WhatsApp etc

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Yeah I think you hit the nail on the head @sith-smith . Not saying it's a bad thing, but the last 20 years has seen a huge shift in how everyone wants everything now and right now! Whether it's information, objects of desire or the latest Netflix show. I guess the internet has made that possible.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
The information will hopefully always be here, and that will draw in new people who find it in search engines. Facebook has been the hot ticket for the last decade or so, but something else will come along eventually, in fact the younger generation already snub it because they think it's for "old people to share photos of their meals" :ROFLMAO:

The fact is the only online platforms suitable for knowledge sharing and archiving are websites, Facebook is no good for it and newer fads like Tik Tok even less so, for that reason even if the discussion dies down, the information will be here as long as the site owner keeps it going.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
And another question - who is still collecting? I bought a loose figure last week, which was the first vintage item I've bought for months. I just don't buy much any more, because prices are sky high and I already have most things I want. Maybe it's the same for others.

Jez

Sith Lord
I must admit my outlook on the forum has changed for the better over the last month, bare with me…

I joined this forum in 2011 and it quickly became the hub for all of my collecting wants: purchases, knowledge, socials, competitions etc. The TVR Podcast originated as the SWFUK Podcast until Episode 11. I even held an annual prize draw and Stu had his figure of the year poll.

I've made life long friends thanks to this forum and i literally bought the T-Shirt (s).

I loved the thrill of getting a email notification every time itfciain posted a sales thread, what would he have? What would he have as I quickly logged on.

Yes, i drifted away from here to Facebook as everything (efficiency wise) just seemed easier and for a while i felt that the forum was often just the same questions asked over and over again.

I'm not a big poster on Facebook. I agree with some of the comments above. It's too much. The most recent ridiculous thing (IMO) was a 2023 trend of posting a valentines message to your partner, I mean seriously.
The sales posts are crazy with high turnover, high prices and high expectations of prices. Plus, people are 'claiming' items so quickly, in some cases they haven't read the full description or looked at the photos before claiming.

There are too many groups. Having said that we have. Generation Skywalker Group for people to have a nice space to share things apart from sales posts, we don't have a sales area. We mainly use it for updates/news/Celebration stuff

Back to the forum: up until 2022 Stu ran the SWFUK forum figure of the year poll, however he/we looked at the forum this year and as this thread says, it was silent, so we decided to host the poll on our Facebook group and also on Instagram. That's where a lot of ex forum folk have gone. Stu thought that uploading photos to here was harder than it actually is, so didn't initially include SWFUK.
The upset/disappointment from Pomse/Snaketibe etc was clear for me to see, so I continued the poll on here. It was super easy for me to upload everything and keep the flame burning. I'm glad that Snaketibe got involved and in some cases was the deciding vote. Apart from one occasion he was the only one voting but I'd have loved to have more.

Were we right to move it to a larger demographic? I think so. In its hey day the SWFUK poll had 45-50 participants (according to information given to me). We've averaged 80 votes each round this year. However it's made me think.

It felt nice coming back here. It felt conflict and competition free. It was not only nostalgic but slightly more comforting than Facebook.

My promises to you:
1) I'm going to put a post on our Facebook Group this weekend reminding people about this place and asking them to drop by and say hi. I think a lot of people were put off with the sale of the forum and the OTT adverts, not realising that when logged in they disappear. There are many positives to this place, it's less noisy which is actually really nice.
2) From this point on any/all Mini Rig/Figure of the Year polls will definitely include SWFUK from the getgo.
3) I'm going to start hanging around here more. I hope that's not a negative :ROFLMAO:

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
Straight up, we need to expand our covering of the Starwars universe.

I know a lot won't care for that, but theme parks, cosplay, movies, books, and even...video games.
I love collecting, but to stay relevant we need to welcome all walks..and we might be surprised who comes over to the collecting side of things.

Look for more on this soon!

Pomse2001

Grand Master
While FB has its uses - and admittedly it is a lot easier/quicker to buy/sell on there - it lacks the depth and quality of discussion that we have had on this site. I wonder though if that's what people/new collectors want?
I really hope the sales come bacl to the forum every day as before. Do I understand sometimes people want a quicker sale. But then again if there is a lot for sale on the forum. Then more will also come back to the forum to buy, I think :unsure:

Pomse2001

Grand Master
And another question - who is still collecting? I bought a loose figure last week, which was the first vintage item I've bought for months. I just don't buy much any more, because prices are sky high and I already have most things I want. Maybe it's the same for others.
I do not buy much so I also do not collec much because of sky high prices. But I guess more must collect today since the prices are skyhigh or is it dealers that push the price up ? :unsure:

Pomse2001

Grand Master
I must admit my outlook on the forum has changed for the better over the last month, bare with me…

I joined this forum in 2011 and it quickly became the hub for all of my collecting wants: purchases, knowledge, socials, competitions etc. The TVR Podcast originated as the SWFUK Podcast until Episode 11. I even held an annual prize draw and Stu had his figure of the year poll.

I've made life long friends thanks to this forum and i literally bought the T-Shirt (s).

I loved the thrill of getting a email notification every time itfciain posted a sales thread, what would he have? What would he have as I quickly logged on.

Yes, i drifted away from here to Facebook as everything (efficiency wise) just seemed easier and for a while i felt that the forum was often just the same questions asked over and over again.

I'm not a big poster on Facebook. I agree with some of the comments above. It's too much. The most recent ridiculous thing (IMO) was a 2023 trend of posting a valentines message to your partner, I mean seriously.
The sales posts are crazy with high turnover, high prices and high expectations of prices. Plus, people are 'claiming' items so quickly, in some cases they haven't read the full description or looked at the photos before claiming.

There are too many groups. Having said that we have. Generation Skywalker Group for people to have a nice space to share things apart from sales posts, we don't have a sales area. We mainly use it for updates/news/Celebration stuff

Back to the forum: up until 2022 Stu ran the SWFUK forum figure of the year poll, however he/we looked at the forum this year and as this thread says, it was silent, so we decided to host the poll on our Facebook group and also on Instagram. That's where a lot of ex forum folk have gone. Stu thought that uploading photos to here was harder than it actually is, so didn't initially include SWFUK.
The upset/disappointment from Pomse/Snaketibe etc was clear for me to see, so I continued the poll on here. It was super easy for me to upload everything and keep the flame burning. I'm glad that Snaketibe got involved and in some cases was the deciding vote. Apart from one occasion he was the only one voting but I'd have loved to have more.

Were we right to move it to a larger demographic? I think so. In its hey day the SWFUK poll had 45-50 participants (according to information given to me). We've averaged 80 votes each round this year. However it's made me think.

It felt nice coming back here. It felt conflict and competition free. It was not only nostalgic but slightly more comforting than Facebook.

My promises to you:
1) I'm going to put a post on our Facebook Group this weekend reminding people about this place and asking them to drop by and say hi. I think a lot of people were put off with the sale of the forum and the OTT adverts, not realising that when logged in they disappear. There are many positives to this place, it's less noisy which is actually really nice.
2) From this point on any/all Mini Rig/Figure of the Year polls will definitely include SWFUK from the getgo.
3) I'm going to start hanging around here more. I hope that's not a negative :ROFLMAO:

Great post mate and great to see you are still on the forum (y)

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter

My promises to you:
Great post, matey!

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Straight up, we need to expand our covering of the Starwars universe.

I know a lot won't care for that, but theme parks, cosplay, movies, books, and even...video games.
I love collecting, but to stay relevant we need to welcome all walks..and we might be surprised who comes over to the collecting side of things.

Look for more on this soon!
Interesting...

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Same as you, Edd. Not bought much at all recently. Lost the bug, but still come on here daily. That says something.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I am all for trying to expand, as you know in recent years we created forums for props, video games, autographs etc. They have had a bit of interest but more work could definitely be done in "non vintage" areas.

sith-smith

Grand Master
Would expanding what the site offers necessary be the key though?

Offering everything under the sun won't make a difference if people don't know the forum is here or if they can't see the advantages of being on a forum rather than just facebook pages.

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
I'm working on a series of blog articles that hopefully will help folks who are interested for google traffic etc.
This place is known for the Classifieds only...we have to do better with all sorts of traffic to get people to post more classifieds.

av6

Jedi Knight
Hi guys I think the forum is very silent at the moment, what can we do to get some more noise around here ? :)

Any idea of what is going on :unsure:
They've all jumped ship mate and over on Facebook. I could never say I was an everyday user of the forum but when I did visit it was a great place and full of great people. That brings me onto the next one. The whole Star Wars and collecting thing now just isn't the same as it used to be. It's just full to the brim of the new and next generation who are absolutely clueless. That's my two cents and I'll stand by it.
It's not that I'm sore or whatever this generation choose to call it (as I say absolutely clueless) but Disney have absolutely ruined it. It's their property now and do with it as they choose but it's not for everyone. On the other hand there are those that think they're doing a great job.
I even had some dickhead saying I was trying to be edgey because I said I hadn't seen Andor (and still haven't). No, I've seen enough and what I've seen I haven't liked so why would I want to see more? Plain and simple.

UKS

Jedi Knight
For me, I've moved on in the collecting world. I have hit my goal - MOC entire Kenner range - But not wanting to take it further (Card types, variants, Vehicles, loose).

I enjoy reading about all those things - But I've moved on to Action Force and GI Joe which is 1000x times harder to find and collect then SW.

I'm only in one or two SW groups on FB - And frankly I find Echo annoying with it's militancy towards a lot of things. I agree in principle but the nature of enforcement is just not friendly and a bit "gate keeper". The AF/Joe world is more forgiving of repairs etc because the nature of the toy (o-ring) means every single one at some point will break. I think that just means the groups are a bit more friendly then Echo et al.

Top Bottom