Survey: what would you expect to pay? RESULTS :)

jayums

Jedi Master
Second attempt!

STAR WARS Loose Figures - Price Survey 1

February 2016

'What would you expect to pay for the following figures today?'

1. The value you enter is the price you would expect to pay to buy each loose figure on the list in the present market.

(It should not be what you would be prepared to pay, or have paid in the past).

2. Round up values and add them next to the figures below e.g '11'

3. Based on figures in C8 condition, with original accessories and weapons, and minimal paint loss (if any). Nothing unusual variant /Coo etc.

4. Copy and paste and send me your results via PM. I will collate and present the overall results in a week or two. Your individual valuations will not be shared.

Cheers in advance if you take the time to complete. :)

Artoo-Detoo (R2-D2)
Chewbacca
Luke Skywalker farm (blond hair)
Luke Skywalker farm (brown hair)
Princess Leia Organa
Ben Kenobi (white hair)
Ben Kenobi (grey hair)
Darth Vader
Han Solo (small head)
Han Solo (big head)
See-Threepio (C-3PO)
Stormtrooper
Death Squad Commander
Jawa
Sand People / Tusken
Sand People / Tusken (hollow tubes)
Greedo
Hammerhead
Snaggletooth
Walrus Man
Arfive-Defour (R5-D4)
Death Star Droid
Luke Skywalker (X-Wing Pilot)
Power Droid

jayums

Jedi Master
x-pack said:
Holy ****! I thought it would be one figure or something. That'll take me all night :lol:

Well I thought it might as well be comprehensive...
Even I got a bit bored half way down the list!

.... Still, got a couple of responses so far. Perhaps I should have made it into a competition, but unfortunately all I have to give away is a broken FX7 that I managed to simultaneously drop and kick yesterday. I've never killed a star wars figure before. Not good. :(

RifleSmile

Jedi Knight
You need to shorten the list buddy!

Stick a VCJ up as a prize and I might take the time :wink:

jayums

Jedi Master
RifleSmile said:
You need to shorten the list buddy!

Stick a VCJ up as a prize and I might take the time :wink:

I might have to! To be fair its ideal for a dull train journey, the loo, insomnia etc

x-pack

Grand Master
Basically my expected price range is something like this -

Plain old ROTJ figures £3-10
Empire figures £3-15
Original line Star Wars figures £3-30

Last 17 £10-160. Higher end figures being R2 pop-up, Yak Face, Ev-9D9

These prices would probably be for a half decent figure with the lower price being minus a weapon or accessory.

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
To add to x-packs very good summary, I'd say you can probably add another £10 or so for iconic figures that are always in demand or harder to find in nice condition, so Luke FB, Leia original, Luke Bespin, Yoda, Leia Bespin maybe, possibly a Fett with great paint job as they're always so crap.

A rare gun that can be used on other figures sometimes pushes prices up, so Leia Hoth with an original Leia blaster can be expensive as people don't want to spend £20 on a loose blaster alone to complete their Leia original.

Can't see any ROTJs attracting a premium.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
x-pack said:
Holy ****! I thought it would be one figure or something. That'll take me all night :lol:

I was thinking this, but didn't no how to put it! :lol:

jayums

Jedi Master
theforceuk said:
x-pack said:

I was thinking this, but didn't no how to put it! :lol:

To be fair, it does say you don't have to fill in the lot!

jayums

Jedi Master
Rebel_Runner said:
Might be a good place to start...

http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17490

I did start there - and its awesome, but as a new collector it seems to bear little relation to a lot of the current prices (for loose figures anyway).

I wasnt asking for advice on what I should pay as I'm capable of deciding that for myself; I was just interested in seeing if there were significantly different expectations between forum members, and I thought it wouldn't be the worst thing to actually do a bit of forum member research that I could share results from (which admittedly might be of more use to newer members).

Rebel_Runner

Jedi Master
jayums said:
Rebel_Runner said:

I did start there - and its awesome, but as a new collector it seems to bear little relation to a lot of the current prices (for loose figures anyway).

I just thought it wouldn't be the worst thing to actually do a bit of forum member research to share... evidently not... I've learnt my lesson!!

It's too big of a moving feast, by the time you've collated everyone's feed back it will be out of date. Best you can do is either use the valuation thread which for the common figures is still reasonable accurate, ignore it for the rarer/hot property items (ie yak face, pop up R2) or look at asking prices in the "for sale" section for the going rates.

jayums

Jedi Master
Rebel_Runner said:
jayums said:
Rebel_Runner said:

I just thought it wouldn't be the worst thing to actually do a bit of forum member research to share... evidently not... I've learnt my lesson!!

It's too big of a moving feast, by the time you've collated everyone's feed back it will be out of date. Best you can do is either use the valuation thread which for the common figures is still reasonable accurate, ignore it for the rarer/hot property items (ie yak face, pop up R2) or look at asking prices in the "for sale" section for the going rates.

I was only aiming for a sample of say 20 members and would put the results out immediately. No great effort to collate, done in a week, so hardly out of date, and not duplicating valuations thread IMO.

My survey is very possibly a **** idea (I'm beginning to agree with you !) - the intention was to contribute something that some members might have found useful... Will delete the survey and remember to stick to threads complaining about crazy prices/ facebook groups or similar in future :)

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I think it was a good idea and if you enjoyed doing it then that's the main thing for me. I wasen't knocking what you were doing, I would have contributed to but it was a bit overwhelming that's all. I would like to see the results it would be interesting. :)

I agree with you as well on the facebook/high priceing/eBay threads, I've notived the boards have become a bit hostile the last phew weeks. Could just be me though. :?

Rebel_Runner

Jedi Master
jayums said:
Rebel_Runner said:
jayums said:

I was only aiming for a sample of say 20 members and would put the results out immediately. No great effort to collate, done in a week, so hardly out of date, and not duplicating valuations thread IMO.

My survey is very possibly a **** idea (I'm beginning to agree with you !) - the intention was to contribute something that some members might have found useful... Will delete the survey and remember to stick to threads complaining about crazy prices/ facebook groups or similar in future :)

It's not a **** idea, it's just that the reality is vary varied. What people think is a fair price on this forum will be quite different to what people on FB will pay as it will be to what people will pay in the crazzy world of EBay. And with the continually increase prices most of what you collate will be out of date in no time at all.

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
jayums, I also think it a good idea, and I have had a crack at providing this resource myself with valuations accompanying vintage loose figures and boxed vehicles and playsets. I think the playsets and vehicle valuations are probably more accurate than the figures at the mo, and certain figures probably need their valuations bumped upwards (I believe a Yak Face coin alone recently sold at £350, which is what I valued the mint coin and figure combo!), but it does at least provide some resource: http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1086230/

Another good resource is the SWFUK podcast as they have a regular chat about prices, as does the Chivecast in a marketwatch section (not sure if this one is still going).

The ultimate compiler of prices though remains Ebay Completed Listings search function, this is always my initial 'go to' for price checking.

I think the survey here might work better if you start it at 'first 12' figures, and then move on to the next section so it's not too much at once. But I commend you for making the effort to kick things off on this.

jayums

Jedi Master
Bonsai_Tree_Ent said:
I think the survey here might work better if you start it at 'first 12' figures, and then move on to the next section so it's not too much at once. But I commend you for making the effort to kick things off on this.

Cheers. I think I will have another go at it along those lines you described.

I'm not sure I communicated what I was trying to do very well. It wasn't so much a valuation guide as that obviously depends on a whole bunch of factors (I'd expect to pay a different figure on ebay to the forum or fb groups).

What I had in mind was a league table of expected prices amongst forum members for figures which might throw up some surprises for discussion, or highlight those figures where there is the biggest disparity in percieved values. Ultimately I thought it could yield info for discussion: a league table with the top ten most average valued figures, top ten least average value , top ten widest range of expected values etc - tracked over time I thought it could be interesting to some other forum members, although obviously not everyone!

On the subject of prices, I agree with all the comments, but it is easy to generalise (e.g. this bunch of rotj figured are worth a tenner each), but as someone collecting loose at the moment, that doesn't quite marry up with my experience. Now obviously there isn't a huge difference materially for a lot of people between paying a tenner or paying fifteen quid for a loose figure, especially when they buy mocs for hundreds or thousands, but its a 50% difference in valuation, which is in some respects just as remarkable as the price variations at the top end (which seem to be discussed ad nauseum!)

Will maybe try again but will trim it down as suggested (although I maintain the whole lot would only take 5 minutes to do!). Cheers :)

Rebel_Runner

Jedi Master
For me, when talking about loose figures, I would say there are 4 Main categorise:-

1)1st 12
2) Boba Fett
3) last 17
4) everything else

Whilst there are some individual variances in the 'everything else' category, I don't trend to find that they are as big as in the other categorise.

jayums

Jedi Master
Rebel_Runner said:
For me, when talking about loose figures, I would say there are 4 Main categorise:-

1)1st 12
2) Boba Fett
3) last 17
4) everything else

Whilst there are some individual variances in the 'everything else' category, I don't trend to find that they are as big as in the other categorise.

Well complete the survey and see if everyone else agrees. ;)

x-pack

Grand Master
Rebel_Runner said:

1)1st 12
2) Boba Fett
3) last 17
4) everything else

Ha! Not far off the mark there. How about this?

1) 1st 12
2) Plain ol' figures
3) Last 17
4) Boba Fett
5) **** ups
6) Strange foreign stuff

:wink:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom