Star Wars Toy in the shops ?

Dannywhiteley

Jedi Master
Just look at the price stickers on UK based cards for a good idea. Tesco feature heavily, as do others mentioned in the thread. I'm always looking for interesting price stickers, or from shops i know/knew.

I recently saw an ESB DSC moc sell on ebay US that had a price sticker for 'The Entertainer' in Amersham. That shop was just around the corner from my house until I moved in 2010. Small world.

Dannywhiteley

Jedi Master
ScruffyLookingNH said:
Don't forget newsagents. 2 out of the 3 in Holyhead has spinning racks of Star Wars figures. Well, Klaatu's and Weequay's anyway.

Sainsbury's did indeed exist. I have a clear memory of going to "J. S. Sainburys" on Dover High Street in in about 1980/81. No bloody toys.

As although I wasn't aware of Asda's at the time they did exist and stocked toys, too. Here's proof! (thanks to Derek Torc McLean and Trilogo.info for the picture from the excellent "World Tour Wednesday" price sticker thread):

asda.jpg

Never knew this was asdas

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Dannywhiteley said:
ScruffyLookingNH said:
Don't forget newsagents. 2 out of the 3 in Holyhead has spinning racks of Star Wars figures. Well, Klaatu's and Weequay's anyway.

Sainsbury's did indeed exist. I have a clear memory of going to "J. S. Sainburys" on Dover High Street in in about 1980/81. No bloody toys.

As although I wasn't aware of Asda's at the time they did exist and stocked toys, too. Here's proof! (thanks to Derek Torc McLean and Trilogo.info for the picture from the excellent "World Tour Wednesday" price sticker thread):

asda.jpg

Never knew this was asdas

Yeah :) Remember the logo well. Google "old Asda logo".

Dr_Ball_MD

Jedi Master
Supporter
Bonsai_Tree_Ent said:
At least in the UK I don't recall vintage SW figures being sold in supermarkets, places like Tesco and Sainsburys

I got all my figures from Tesco, they always had the largest display. My local Sainsburys didn't do them though at the time.

BHS and Gamleys were my other local suppliers but Tesco had the most.

tobedesu

Jedi Knight
Like has been said, internet shopping has obviously had an impact.
My toys came mostly from 3 places: Zodiac Toys, Co-op, and Woolworths.
Looking at my cardbacks, I got a couple ROTJ figures from Asda. I didn't know what the orange sticker was until posted here. I thought it was a corner shop or mini market.

There used to be a bloke on the market selling more obscure stuff like imported figures and knock-offs.
I bought a copy of Starscream from him. He also had imported vinyl and music t's. My mate and I sometimes reminisce as he had lots of MASK figures and last 17.
Basically he stocked stuff that shops didn't.
Don't get places like that these days.
Places like Forbidden Planet are great for collectibles, and Home Bargains has emerged as a good place to pick up very cheap figures.

MarkG

Jedi Master
Most of mine came from Gamleys... they even kept them back if you asked nicely for the ones you wanted... always remember opening a case of the L17 and having choice pickings.

Also had various Woollies and Beales department store in Worthing.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I remember going to Tesco's and their being stacks of AT-AT's, I would say their was more back in the 80's than today.

x-pack

Grand Master
I used to go to Cash & Carry with my dad in the early 80's. They had loads. Not sure if that's where retailers went to buy stock. We just went to stock up for the pub. They certainly sold boxes of stickers. I bought a full box of Beano stickers and completed my album in one day :)

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
Supermarket-wise, I remember getting Star Wars in larger Tesco and Co-op stores. I've got a Bib Fortuna cardback with a blue Fine Fare logo on, although we never had any big FF stores with toys round these parts.

In Glasgow the hot-spots were Lewis's department store, John Menzies, and the semi-regional Toys-R-Us inspired toy warehouse The Jolly Giant. Personally, I'd put blue plaques on the sites of all of them. :D

11tajxe.jpg

Toward the end, I'd discovered a local cash'n'carry called Castle where I remember getting most of my figures during the Tri-logo / last-17 era.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
I am glad to see you guys talk and collect cardbacks and moc with uk price stickers from different shops. I do the same with danish price
stickers :D

reddogblues

Padawan
Slightly off topic - sorry - but if anyone has a cardback or MOC with a "Redgates" price sticker, would love to buy one, as that was where my childhood figures came from :)

Pomse2001

Grand Master
reddogblues said:
Slightly off topic - sorry - but if anyone has a cardback or MOC with a "Redgates" price sticker, would love to buy one, as that was where my childhood figures came from :)

No problem mate, I am only glad to see I am not the only crazy guy on the forum who collect stickers :lol:

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
Mine were mostly purchased from local toy shops, most of which were or subsequently became 'Toymaster' shops.

I know my parents bought some of our toys (mostly ships) from the cash & carry 'Makro' (that would've been around 81-82 I think). I have a recollection of Asda selling figures, but I'd moved on to Transformers by then. I also think our local Morrisons may have sold them too - they definitely sold those packs of stickers that were released for 'RotJ'.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom