Snowtrooper Capes

ODB

Jedi Master
So I have been collecting a few of these figures loose to populate my ATATs. However the capes have been a source of confusion for me. I now have several capes that don't follow the norm, ie one side smooth and the other textured and after ages of looking both on here and then on RS (dirty word I know) I'm not sure if they are fakes or not.

I have my doubts on several of them as they are very thin and pliable, most of them also have the circular holes but one has just a slit (insert innuendo here). They also don't seem to be shiny on one side and dull on the other which is a sign of the Trilogo ones.

The picture below shows some of the ones I'm doubtful of. Top row left to right Doubtful Trilogo version A? Thin version with a single slit. Another very thin Trilogo Style. Bottom row left to right: Traditional Cape, Trilogo (well I think it is) and a thick horrible fake.

Fronts:
P1000615.jpg

Backs:
P1000619.jpg

Anyone care to add anything or point me in the right direction of a good site?

e30318is

Sith Lord
From what I can gather the skirts with the round punch hole are believed to have originated from the Tri logo /YPS Snowtrooper.

I find these to be tricky to identify the fakes and variants.
IMO the fakes tend to be very thick and not pliable. The thinner skirt with a round punch at first threw me, however I have checked my YPS and it has that type of skirt.

ODB

Jedi Master
I've gotten several of the round hole versions and the general consensus appears to be that they are from the Trilogo troopers, I'm just surprised at how thin they are. The one that confuses me is the version with just a slit, I can't find any reference to it.

Anyone else have any experience of these?

cantina_patron

Youngling
The cape with the slits is the standard Kenner version. There should be a small circular hole at the top & bottom of the slits. One side is smooth, the other is textured and makes a zip sound when a finger nail is run across it.
As already mentioned the capes with the round holes are thinner with a different texture. In my experience these capes are rarer than the ones with the slits. And they are found on the YPS and some carded Tri-logo figures. All loose figures that I have seen with this cape have had coo scars & a hard torso.
I hope this helps.

aussiejames

Sith Lord
Trying to tell if capes are real by pictures or describing them is very difficult in most cases. I suggest buying a repro snowtrooper cape with the holes & comparing them in hand. ( mark it with Repro so it doesn't get mixed up!!)

wbobafett

Jedi Knight
I agree.....nearly impossible to say sth by just regarding pictures.

The Trilogo in the bottom row is original I would say.....the ones in the top row look wrong in several areas (shape).

Can you do a detail of those....I maybe can tell by a closer look at the top of the capes with round holes! I need the area where the holes are punched in and the shape around the square in this area.

wbobafett

Jedi Knight
ODB said:
I've gotten several of the round hole versions and the general consensus appears to be that they are from the Trilogo troopers, I'm just surprised at how thin they are. The one that confuses me is the version with just a slit, I can't find any reference to it.

Anyone else have any experience of these?

If they are extremly thin they are the usual repros! I wouldnt say the differences in thickness are so huge between the slit and the roundhole cape.

There i btw a lot of different materials on the slitted ones.

ODB

Jedi Master
Thanks for the comments, these are as close as I can go at the moment:

P1000622.jpg

P1000624.jpg

It should be noted that they are not perfectly white, they do show signs of wear and tear, age and dirt.

PIGCITY

Sith Lord
wbobafett said:
left one should be original.....right one is 100% fake...sorry :cry:

The left has been clearly cut with a die cutting machine the right shows a jerky hand and a badly wielded scalpel

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom