RS policy change banning sale of repro and TT

Grant

Sith Lord
IMHO, reseals are not repro's BUT some where down the line they could be used to fool the uneducated. Thats the grey part unfortunately. I know it goes against most people's opinion here but if everything else potentially dodgy has been booted these should go too. It keeps things simple for all. Iv not got a horse in this race as I don't collect much any more and when I did I never collected any of the stuff that's been banned. I don't see an issue in used card backs being sold tho as long as they are just that used card backs. G

Richard_H

Grand Master
I've no issue banning TTs although I understand reseals and why they are needed. The difference to me is the price. Reveals seem quite cheap, TTs seem to go for near MOC price.

chazb73

Sith Lord
Some great points chaps.

Re-seals are perfectly fine. As long as advertised as such of course.

Wasn't there a chap on here not long ago looking for TTs?

x-pack

Grand Master
This is cool and I'm glad people are unified on the reseal thing. I have loads of reseals and there isn't a single one that looks quite as good as a MOC. They are nice to look at though if you aren't that concerned about condition :)

Dark Sith Lord

Grand Master
chazb73 said:
Some great points chaps.

Re-seals are perfectly fine. As long as advertised as such of course.

Wasn't there a chap on here not long ago looking for TTs?

Yeah I think that was Hayd? was and JoeY did when the TT scandal first hit

beginner

Jedi Knight
I think there is nothing bad to reseals but they must be identified as such. :|
About repro stuff, sorry guys i am not a fan of it so burn in hell :twisted:
To TT Cards i mean they have a history and years later, will make their way. (but they must be identified as TT)

Palifan

Sith Lord
Michael Sith said:
Reseals are a lifeline to budget collectors and as long as it's clearly stated, then if don't see an issue.

I agree 100% with this and the other positive comments on reseals and really don't see how they can be seen as any different than used, original card backs.

The end of the day there will always be people out there who will try to pull a scam if they think they can get away with it but It's so rare to see a reseal that's so good it would fool someone that I just don't see it as a problem. It's the people trying to rip people off that are the problem and the whole repro thing really doesn't have a place on forums that have been set up for vintage toys so shouldn't be a place to sell things like this. It's a hard one at times as I really don't have a problem with custom builds and that Vlix did almost fall into that category for me with it's custom box but I can see why people are worried that it's opening up the possibilities for fraud at a later date. As long as there's places out there that has useful advise to spot things like this and that people can be bothered to do some research before spending a hefty sum then this should help cut down on losing out on a purchase.

I say keep the reseals for sale so long as stated as not all of us can afford the MOC route for some of these items and it means someone else can feel part of this whole vintage world. :D
Ian

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
walkie said:
If you ban reseals what's next card backs and loose bubbles? :?

add Black sharpie touch-ups.. :shock: .....Come on guys...I think I few of you may be going a little over the top. I consider the Toni's new seals...as they never had a seal to begin with. :wink: (Actually these are not repros either, but assembled with factory stock...but I am not opening that can of worms :p )...this does not mean I support the sale of Toni stuff...just a n observation...put your spears away. :lol:

It's a great thing that RS decided to ban the sale of "Reproduction" items, hell we have never tolerated them here, but to say a repaired items (Reseals) is unacceptable is a tad anal and falls outside of the "REPRO" domain.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Don't worry guys if you read the new rule reseals are clearly excluded from it :)

finestcomics

Padawan
I guess I am torn over the language and definitions that were thrown around, and the way the petition changed 3 times from it's original intent. At one point, it described Toni's as recards, which despite our feeling over the scandal and what they represent, is the wrong terminology.

This direction change of the petition happened to satisfy one or two people who felt TT's needed to be included in the ban, while there were easily 60 different people who chimed-in with support of the original petition (which can still be seen here through this cached link). That change in direction created a bit of confusion I think, and then who knows how Philip interpreted it all when he made the final decision.

I've said as much in that ongoing thread, and I'll say the same here. Banning them from being sold will only push them underground, which in turn will breed a sub-culture of pushers of TT with zero care or standards. The old saying of keeping your friends close and your enemies closer applies here, and keeping TT's in our sights and within the reach of educating people whenever they get listed on collecting forums, means we stand a better chance of preventing undisclosed sales. Banning accomplishes nothing except to ensure these end up in the hands of unassuming buyers, and our role will be limited to being bearers of bad news and talking them off the ledge. my2cents

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
finestcomics said:
I guess I am torn over the language and definitions that were thrown around, and the way the petition changed 3 times from it's original intent. At one point, it described Toni's as recards, which despite our feeling over the scandal and what they represent, is the wrong terminology.

This direction change of the petition happened to satisfy one or two people who felt TT's needed to be included in the ban, while there were easily 60 different people who chimed-in with support of the original petition (which can still be seen here through this cached link). That change in direction created a bit of confusion I think, and then who knows how Philip interpreted it all when he made the final decision.

I've said as much in that ongoing thread, and I'll say the same here. Banning them from being sold will only push them underground, which in turn will breed a sub-culture of pushers of TT with zero care or standards. The old saying of keeping your friends close and your enemies closer applies here, and keeping TT's in our sights and within the reach of educating people whenever they get listed on collecting forums, means we stand a better chance of preventing undisclosed sales. Banning accomplishes nothing except to ensure these end up in the hands of unassuming buyers, and our role will be limited to being bearers of bad news and talking them off the ledge. my2cents

del%20boy%20steve%20rooney%20%20van.JPG

Pssst, wanna buy a dirty Toni?

Jason

finestcomics

Padawan
:lol: At least he's got decent taste in cigars - looks like a Montecristo #5. The truck is a spray painted "free candy" advert away from being creepy.

PGowdy

Grand Master
finestcomics said:
Banning them from being sold will only push them underground,

Excellent. That's exactly what we are all hoping for. 'underground' means less mainstream. Less popular. Less fashionable. Less accepted and so on.
There will always be idiots who are happy to collect destructively for themselves. That is not a reason for inaction. It is better they are pushed out and forced to do their dirty dealings underground.

And the adage; "keep you enemies close…" does not apply here. This is a moral question. Is this wrong; Yes. Then should be allow it to go on in our "home"; No. That's it. It's very simple.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom