Round hand-written stickers on vehicles

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
As you may have seen in the valuations forum, there was recently a 'loft find' of some unused Palitoy vehicles. All were bought from Asda in the mid 1980s, and came in Jedi boxes. We have noticed that several of the vehicles have these small round stickers with different hand-written letters on them. Has anyone seen these stickers on any other vehicles, or have any thoughts on what they might be? They look like R, G and Y to me, and they are on an AT-AT, Snowspeeder and TIE Interceptor.

137223577_246545380196041_4239609839424425432_n.png

137220826_200121818496047_3105431977446869667_n.jpg

137004327_1123738488052832_608434989479828850_n.png

Pomse2001

Grand Master
I have never seen them before, looks like we still learn every day on the forum :D

1. Maybe the stickers are there to ID the parts. But then again looks like they are not on all parts :?

2. Some of the ewok hood also have a stamp inside the hood A, B, C, D, E etc. etc. maybe the stickers are used for the same as the letters in the ewoks hoods :? not that I have ever understood what they used the letters for :lol:

3. Maybe they forgot to add letters on the mould so they need stickers :?

4. If there is a left and right part that looks the same then maybe the letters are there to id which part is the left one and which one is the right :?

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
I don't collect ships so have not seen these before, but would expect that they were quality control sign off stickers as you find on a lot of things these days.
I would assume that each quality controller would be assigned a certain lettered sticker sheet.
Can't really think what else they could be.

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
They're odd. If they were something to do with store returns, then why not put them on the box so they were obvious? Quality control makes no sense for the same reason. I doubt they're a more obscure version of the "packer" slip, either.

Thinking more about store returns, however, a couple of thoughts:

1) Maybe when an item had been opened and returned to store the staff had to take the thing out of the packaging to check it was all there. By making them put a small sticker on it this demonstrated to management that it had been opened and checked: if the staff member had to go to the effort of putting a sticker on the vehicle it's no more bother to pull it out of the box to do so. Maybe this was designed to stop the staff just accepting properly broken items back into stock?

2) If returns then maybe they were discounted in store as such. To stop customers then bringing them back and asking for a refund at a full price, prior to issuing a refund the staff would remove them from the packaging and check them over for the presence of one of these sticker. Seems like a hassle again as why not mark the box in some minor, unobtrusive way to indicate the same thing?

3) Again, if store returns maybe these indicated that the electronics had been tested by the staff upon the return to the shop and indicated that the electronics worked/it was all there and could be sold again as a return for a small discount as opposed a damaged/incomplete item which had to go back to the supplier.

Whatever they are, I doubt they're anything to do with the factory and more likely something to do with the store itself. A mystery for ever more, not doubt.

Sundancer Squadron

Jedi Master
Supporter
As odd as it sounds, it wouldn't be a component bin number/letter assigned to parts that end up getting picked for construction into the end product?

They may of been relatively late in the production cycle, and shoved into bins to make what they could before the packaging process to be shipped to Asda. I had a ROTJ Radar that hat one of these stickers on too many years ago, and I seem to remember another too.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom