Planning permission

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Yes totally agree, but a contractor will factor in extra cost's to their fee and for a small job is it worth it. A contractor will often use a quantity surveyor which is included in the fee. You don't see many skint contractors, but they do carry the stress for you.

sith-smith

Grand Master
Thanks

Will do.

I'm expecting to have to make some changes, but have a new architect and builder on board that are a bit more clued up. So worse comes to the worse I should still be able to plan something close.

Here's hoping I don't have to.

sith-smith

Grand Master
Ok, have heard from the council and they are coming to do a site visit.

How important/relevant is this to my planning application?

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Not sure really I had the county council come around and thought that was important. Also had the parish council have a look
And the bloke said he would recommend it at the next meeting. Turns out the parish council rejected it, but the county council ingnored the rejection as all their points were erelavent to the application.

If it's the county council I would say important, tell them what they want to hear!

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
What you need now is about a grands worth of used twenties and a big buff envelope. Then when you are "showing him the plans" you can have it on top like a big paperweight. Ask him if he would like to "take the plans" away with him and consider them for a couple of days and get back to you.

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
They will come round to see the site so they can assess the impact on the surroundings.
It's an important visit but should be pretty casual and you won't get grilled on anything although offering them a cup of tea and a biscuit might be a good shout.
Try to get across the reason you want to do the alterations too. They might be more receptive if they think it's for a kids bedroom rather than somewhere to house your outrageous palitoy collection. :wink:

sith-smith

Grand Master
Annoyingly I can't be there as I won't be able to get out of work.

If they are doing a visit, does that mean that they haven't rejected the plans on the grounds that what I want breaks their regulations?

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
You won't know if its rejected until the end of the process unfortunately but the fact you haven't had any requests for changes/more info is a good start
It's worth contacting them sporadically to check it's ok and ask if they need any more info.

sith-smith

Grand Master
I figured I wouldn't know for certain till the end, but surely they would have looked at the plans already?

If so, they'd know if what I wanted broke rules? If it did, would they still bother to do a site visit?

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
sith-smith said:
I figured I wouldn't know for certain till the end, but surely they would have looked at the plans already?

If so, they'd know if what I wanted broke rules? If it did, would they still bother to do a site visit?

Have you got conditions in your planning consent? They will do a site visit at some point, so best for you if they do it before you start paying builders. I doubt you have anything to worry about, it's all part of the process.

sith-smith

Grand Master
Well, the way things stand at the moment are that they've said I'll have the answer by 3rd May. Site visit is 25th April.

They emailed me a few weeks ago just to confirm. They had my permission and detailed how they were referring to it (side extension, loft conversion etc.) And that I should tell them if this was incorrect.

I guess my real concern is when i took plan's down just to check, long before putting them in, someone...who may well have been the duty planning officer said they would not be acceptable.

So I wondered really that if that was true, surely they'd know that by now so why bother with a site visit?

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
Because you've paid the fee they're duty bound to complete the process regardless of the outcome. You'd be pretty pissed off if you gave them a couple of hundred quid and they just turned round and said "NO"!
You don't need planning for the loft conversion though but it was a good call to put it on the drawings as it will show how the whole scheme ties together.

sith-smith

Grand Master
Do I not need permission? It has a dorma.

The person who first saw me said the loft dorma was too big, so it's one of several areas I'm concerned about :?

jabbawokkie

Grand Master
I thought you need planning for a loft conversion if it's gonna be a bedroom , as you need fire escapes etc .....I,ll do ye plastering cheap for a ten seconds super market sweep in ye collection room hahahahaha

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
jabbawokkie said:
I thought you need planning for a loft conversion if it's gonna be a bedroom , as you need fire escapes etc .....I,ll do ye plastering cheap for a ten seconds super market sweep in ye collection room hahahahaha

Nah that's building regs approval you're talking about. Loft conversions come under permitted development (depending where you live) and don't need planning.

sith-smith

Grand Master
jabbawokkie said:

Ha! As I don't have a collection room...sure :wink:

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
I thought the architect who did the plans would make sure that what you're asking for would comply with the rules? So, you'd discuss what you wanted with him, he'd tell you what you could/couldn't have and then the compromise would be a set of plans that at least stood a chance of being approved. You're paying him for that expertise surely? I think the site visit is more to see how your extension fits into the road, how it might overlook other properties etc. They'll write to loads of your neighbours as well whose opinion is taken into account, so presumably their input is reviewed at the site visit.

We had one done a few years back and pushed it to the limit of what we could, but when I submitted the plans I explained why that was to the planning officer and she made notes to put to the planning committee as to why we were doings things that way.

sith-smith

Grand Master
Well, my architect was certain it was al fine, as were his colleagues (according to him) when he double checked with them.

Hence the confusion when someone in the planning office told me it wouldn't be accepted.

I've still applied a bit on hope.

Worse case I'm hoping is that we can negotiate with the council and get something close!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom