photos from jason Joiners collection from the 1980s

ace

Jedi Knight
x-pack said:
Thanks for posting Jason. Can't wait to see more :)

Can I just ask what made you want to start buying up Star Wars when you did? Did you just like the stuff that was out and wanted to collect it, or did you think that the toys might be worth a fortune in the future ...or both?

This might sound like a daft question because it's obvious that you love Star Wars. I'm just interested in why people started collecting in the 80's. I only got nostalgic enough to start collecting around 1990, probably around the time that a lot of the guys on here got into it. By that time I had played with the toys as a kid and then grown out of them when high school came along. But then, probably only after a couple of years, rediscovered my love of the toys.

My wish is that I had bought up boxes of unloved Star Wars stock and stashed it away :roll:

its odd really

i saw star wars in 78 had a trooper , Han and r2 to pay with as a child and some of the red cards that was it for me at 7 years

i collected lots of things as my mum and dad were both collectors , collating lego , matchboxes yesteryears and the "variants" yep thats where it stated :) and was encouraged to collect variants as lots of matchboxes yesteryears did back then , i also have prototypes as well

then i next remember looking at a Darth Vader figure on a ESB card in a toy shop in 81 i had missed ESB at the cinema

then i went to see ROTJ and then came out of the cinema and bought a emperors royal guard and a general madean as that was all there was on the shelfs that day very poor selection at that time in Luton Arndale centre woolwooths

that was it i started collating full on , then over the next few years i sold of my lego then my matchboxes yesteryears which i sold off for £670 which was a lot and that meant i could buy and sell and star to triad but my collection cam first every time and that never changed in all the time i collected if i needed it i tried hard to buy it , if i managed to own it then that was it i never let it go i never traded anything i did not need , and over the years i have upgraded thing and sold them off tried to improve the collection there has been only one or two times i have been cough out where i have sold something off to upgrade and the better one sold before i got to buy it, but that only happened 3 or 4 times :-( apart from that i have just keept on buying.

its never been for what its going to be worth as i have never been interested in what something gos for really apart form wanting to pay what its worth and not over the top at the time , but i think buying to invents is not good thing to do , collect if you love something not to try to make money.

many years ago around 2000 Mark and i talked and thought that a lot of the old Star Wars was going to drop in demeaned as people interested was going to be thined out with all the new film stuff ? well things did slow down and things like aces target set and am raido head set did drop in price and some of the other toys did also die off in price , i thought at the time this would happen and i have a choice then if i ever wanted to sell that would have been the time to let stuff go , i new that i wanted to keep my collection for ever and never sell but it was nice to have stopped and thought about it and that i had a choice , things did drop in price and i was happy with my disishion and it did not bother me that things went down in price , now they are worth more than ever so now i am up but in the future it may go down at the end of the day if having this stuff around you makes you happy then what it is worth is not really important really

sorry x-pack if i dribbled on to much :)

i love star wars and love collecting and not just star wars now :) but thats another story , but i will die a collector :)

j

x-pack

Grand Master
Thanks for your reply Jason. Not dribble at all :wink:

By the sound of it you just started collecting earlier than most influenced by your family of collectors. I can kind of see myself doing this now with our children. I keep tabs on where the younger one's SW figures are, making sure he hasn't lost any. So anal :roll:

Did you always keep things mint in box or did that start later?

So many questions I could ask a long time collector like yourself

Cheers

Barry

ace

Jedi Knight
x-pack said:
Thanks for your reply Jason. Not dribble at all :wink:

By the sound of it you just started collecting earlier than most influenced by your family of collectors. I can kind of see myself doing this now with our children. I keep tabs on where the younger one's SW figures are, making sure he hasn't lost any. So anal :roll:

Did you always keep things mint in box or did that start later?

So many questions I could ask a long time collector like yourself

Cheers

Barry

i was the same as everyone here i think ? i started collecting lose figures and toys till i got all that i thought was out there , and if it was new i would keep the box as i liked the look of them, if it was second hand if the box came with it i would keep that also , over time when a better box came along i would upgrade , its a natural path to have taken i think as the boxes are made to sell the toy in the first place so its natural to start to keep the boxes i think if you have the room and come from a collection background ?

here are some more photos from my past as you can see in the first photo i loved creating dioramas this was the rebel side the imperial side is out of shot but it was just as busy with 5 walkers remember is that around 1986 and i still collected Blackhole in the background :)

1468724_10153701803700294_1095314684_n.jpg

i had a thing where i bought every figure i saw as a car boot sale back then as long as it was under .30p and by the time the 90s came around and figures were less common then i would pay up to 50p each :)

1509154_10153701804315294_1257132116_n.jpg

by this time boxed items was important to me it was after going to world con in Briton did i really start to get into boxed toys and upgrading to better boxes and mint boxed toys , thank god i did back then now they are so rare

1525217_10153701803560294_1049774533_n.jpg

happy to talk its one of the things i enjoy the most :) hope you had a great Christmas

jason

x-pack

Grand Master
Amazing pics Jason. That's the most impressive lagging in any attic ever :wink:

Thanks for posting

ace

Jedi Knight
Maulster79 said:
I spy mint Helix Ruler pot.

Cripes. 8)

that was an old photo :) i managed to get a full one with 48 rulers in it and the protective white tube that go's over the top of it :)

i still need a few odd things so i am going to put together a wants list ?

j

ace

Jedi Knight
x-pack said:
Amazing pics Jason. That's the most impressive lagging in any attic ever :wink:

Thanks for posting

thanks mate , i did like going up there and just talking about star wars for hours at a time that was before the internet , face to face talking :)

j

ace

Jedi Knight
tiefighterboy said:
Impressive photos Jason. I started in the late 80's collecting myself, so I understand the ups and downs in collecting.

its funny collecting has always been costly , i here people saying it was so much easier back in the 80s ? but it was not you could not sell them for much more back then and some of us was all on about £60 a week so things were not that cheep a boxed Han doll used to cost £125 back then so that was a lot and in fact its cheeper now days compered to then .

i once bought 10 boxed mint kenner dolls including IG88 for £600 so to buy them i had to sell all the other lose and boxed dolls i had then to get the 10 mint sealed dolls , and i had to start again collecting all the different boxes again .

the funny thing was i opened each of the mint sealed boxes and they are the Kenny ones i have today 100% mint unplayed with dolls but the last i opened myself , its like having them as a kid :)

but collecting was good fun back then and much more innocent

j

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
ace said:
tiefighterboy said:
Impressive photos Jason. I started in the late 80's collecting myself, so I understand the ups and downs in collecting.

its funny collecting has always been costly , i here people saying it was so much easier back in the 80s ? but it was not you could not sell them for much more back then and some of us was all on about £60 a week so things were not that cheep a boxed Han doll used to cost £125 back then so that was a lot and in fact its cheeper now days compered to then .

i once bought 10 boxed mint kenner dolls including IG88 for £600 so to buy them i had to sell all the other lose and boxed dolls i had then to get the 10 mint sealed dolls , and i had to start again collecting all the different boxes again .

the funny thing was i opened each of the mint sealed boxes and they are the Kenny ones i have today 100% mint unplayed with dolls but the last i opened myself , its like having them as a kid :)

but collecting was good fun back then and much more innocent

j

The advent of ebay and the internet made some things cheaper and some things more costly...a double edged sword for sure. It did take away the fun of going thru the old "Toy Shop" magazine and going to shows, which is what I miss the most from back then. I think the thing that was cheaper in those days were the carded figures and many store displays were under valued.

jeffafett

Youngling
The pic of the 12'' fetts is truly amazing. It took me years just to find 1 in great shape. Im glad there were guys like you to collect this stuff and make it collectable.

Thanks for sharing.

Jeff

David Tree

Jedi Master
ace said:
i had a thing where i bought every figure i saw as a car boot sale back then as long as it was under .30p and by the time the 90s came around and figures were less common then i would pay up to 50p each :)

and they're stored in the Palitoy shop display dome, classic!!!

ace

Jedi Knight
David Tree said:
ace said:

ha only you would have spotted that Dave :-D

Your a sly one :)

good spotting i was not going to say anything about that :)

j

ace

Jedi Knight
jeffafett said:
The pic of the 12'' fetts is truly amazing. It took me years just to find 1 in great shape. Im glad there were guys like you to collect this stuff and make it collectable.

Thanks for sharing.

Jeff

thank you Jeff for the kind words

and thinking about what we did back them , we was running a business and we did make profit but we also thought at the time we was saving things and stoping history being lost , and i will also say this , if i could not of made money from it i would have still saved it anyway , i collected a lot of stuff over the years and some of it i still have safe tucked away , its not worth anything some of it but in some cases its the only examples left in the world so it needs to be kept ?

anyway thanks for recognising what myself and others achieved back then keeping it and saving it ready for future collectors to have the chance look after and protect these items :)

j

David Tree

Jedi Master
ace said:
David Tree said:
ace said:

ha only you would have spotted that Dave :-D

Your a sly one :)

good spotting i was not going to say anything about that :)

j

If it's part of what I think it is too, I'm green with envy :)

ace

Jedi Knight
Cc4rhu said:
It certainly looks like part of it. Jason do you have the rest?

i have the over sized photos that when around the panels that are photos of the figure cards i think they are 3 foot tall

i have on dome from the middle that is badly cracked the the other that is good condition

they are around 3.5 foot across

and i have some smaller ones all empty , which i do not know what they are for but all came together and came with the photo broads

thats all i have from the star wars command centre :-|

j

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom