Other childhood memories : Escape from Atlantis

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Inspired by a recent mention by Stu on the Vintage Rebellion Podcast I finally managed to pick up a copy of Escape from Atlantis off of eBay for a reasonable price.

I absolutely loved this game as a kid and it was one of the only items to survive my childhood. However, unbeknownst to me the game got water damage recently whilst stored in my M&Ds garage and my old man just chucked it out without even consulting me.

If he'd kept the bits it would of been fairly cheap to pick up the board and box, but complete copies don't often sell for less than £35 on eBay. However, I picked one up missing just one ship for just over £20 the other day and I'm looking forward to playing it ASAP.

I have also picked up a copy of Denys Fischer's Haunted House as well as a TCR (Total Control Racing) set that I owned when I was a kid. Now it's just a copy of Heroquest I'm trying to hunt down for closer to £50 than £100.

You guys picked up anything recently other than Star Wars that evokes strong childhood memories for you?

Attachments

• FE7CD5C9-0513-4BA5-96BC-D7679DA12BEA.jpeg
    FE7CD5C9-0513-4BA5-96BC-D7679DA12BEA.jpeg
    167.2 KB · Views: 96
  • E02108E4-B0C7-4375-89CD-E3145FCEEECC.jpeg
    E02108E4-B0C7-4375-89CD-E3145FCEEECC.jpeg
    239.7 KB · Views: 92

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Looking great, but I have never seen it before or heard about it :shock: maybe it was only sold in the uk :?

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
Excellent pick up!
I have this and it gets brought out each Christmas, have you played it's cousin - lost valley of the dinosaurs?
That's ace but I get into trouble every year for demanding it's played on Boxing Day!

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Mini99 said:
Haunted House, now that brings back memories!
The box is a bit battered but the game itself is in good condition and complete with no broken parts. I'll take a pic of it built next time we set it up to play it. "Ghoulish Gerty drops it down the chimney" :D

Attachments

• 532F7EBC-F7E4-4960-9069-236788672426.jpeg
    532F7EBC-F7E4-4960-9069-236788672426.jpeg
    255.4 KB · Views: 76

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Clarkspie&chips said:
Excellent pick up!
I have this and it gets brought out each Christmas, have you played it's cousin - lost valley of the dinosaurs?
That's ace but I get into trouble every year for demanding it's played on Boxing Day!
Never owned it but I have played it. Must of been a friend's copy. My sister and her husband are over later to play it hopefully. I might post some pics :lol:

StarWarsFan

Grand Master
TheJabbaWookie said:
Mini99 said:
Haunted House, now that brings back memories!
The box is a bit battered but the game itself is in good condition and complete with no broken parts. I'll take a pic of it built next time we set it up to play it. "Ghoulish Gerty drops it down the chimney" :D
:D great game

StarWarsFan

Grand Master
TheJabbaWookie said:
Inspired by a recent mention by Stu on the Vintage Rebellion Podcast I finally managed to pick up a copy of Escape from Atlantis off of eBay for a reasonable price.

I absolutely loved this game as a kid and it was one of the only items to survive my childhood. However, unbeknownst to me the game got water damage recently whilst stored in my M&Ds garage and my old man just chucked it out without even consulting me.

If he'd kept the bits it would of been fairly cheap to pick up the board and box, but complete copies don't often sell for less than £35 on eBay. However, I picked one up missing just one ship for just over £20 the other day and I'm looking forward to playing it ASAP.

I have also picked up a copy of Denys Fischer's Haunted House as well as a TCR (Total Control Racing) set that I owned when I was a kid. Now it's just a copy of Heroquest I'm trying to hunt down for closer to £50 than £100.

You guys picked up anything recently other than Star Wars that evokes strong childhood memories for you?
:) love this game

Stuart Skinner

Sith Lord
Escape from Atlantis is one of, if not the very vest board game ever made, still hook it out now for a game as my son loves it too.

I had Haunted House, remember getting it for Christmas one year, loved it, no idea what happened to it.

I love a board game and have a stack which I still play, three that stick in the mind straight away which I still play with the kids.
One of my favourites was Alley Cats, kind of had a thing for the hot cat when I was a kid

Alley Cats.jpg

I also got Lost Valley of the Dinosaurs the same time as Escape from Atlantis, another awesome game everyone should pick up

Lost Valley of the Dinosaurs.jpg

And did anyone else have Game of Games, was always a bind setting up

Game of games.jpg

Stuart Skinner

Sith Lord
Use to love playing this as well, still got this one complete but yet to get it out and play with kids, no idea why as they'd love it

pacman.jpg

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
For those of you who haven't seen Escape from Atlantis, here's a couple of pics just setting up and mid game.

Attachments

• DAA7A049-4BDA-4E4A-8413-D75D6721CAE5.jpeg
    DAA7A049-4BDA-4E4A-8413-D75D6721CAE5.jpeg
    159.2 KB · Views: 67
  • 5BA38FB0-377F-4798-B97E-542AD7322EE8.jpeg
    5BA38FB0-377F-4798-B97E-542AD7322EE8.jpeg
    155.5 KB · Views: 58

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
Great suggestions Stu, but of course the best board game ever made is HeroQuest. You can not argue with this man:

https://youtu.be/Cx8sl2uC46A

Stuart Skinner

Sith Lord
TheJabbaWookie said:
Clarkspie&chips said:
Great suggestions Stu, but of course the best board game ever made is HeroQuest. You can not argue with this man:

I'd love a copy, but they're so damn expensive :(
Still hoping for the day of picking one up in a charity shop for a fiver :D

I've got a nice complete set in my garage, £750 to you

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Stuart Skinner said:
TheJabbaWookie said:
Clarkspie&chips said:

I'd love a copy, but they're so damn expensive :(
Still hoping for the day of picking one up in a charity shop for a fiver :D

I've got a nice complete set in my garage, £750 to you
I'll come and tidy your garage for £750 Stu if you let me take Heroquest and a few other items. I know you've been threatening to sort that garage out for the last 57 episodes of the Vintage rebellion podcast :lol:

UKS

Jedi Knight
Heroquest, Atlantis and Lost Valley were all GREAT games. Played them loads back in the day.

I still own a vast amount of Heroquest stuff somewhere in storage. Atlantis and Lost Valley were owned by the neighbours though. :-(

I remember when I got my copy. The neighbours had a set, and the day I was diagnosed with a chronic illness, I was so upset, mum took me to the local "Games Store" and bought me a copy of it. I can't remember if it stopped me crying. I was a soft child, but also a slightly mercenary one!

stu70

Padawan
A game I always wanted but never had, I remember seeing a them in a shop window when out shopping with my mum and dad, I think you had to rescue the men from the monsters mouth without it snapping shut, sort of Buckaroo style. :)

e89951fa92509e64e149d872e5d80e76--purple-stuff-teenager.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom