My First Animated Short Film Released

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
Hey folks

In the past, I've posted about books that I've written, but over the last few years my 'work' life. and my 'hobby' life (Well, one of my hobbies...) have started to collide. This has resulted in getting the opportunity to start making original content using XR/Game Engine tech in the animation space.

I wrapped production and published my first film from this work last month and along with the film itself a nice little behind the scenes to show how it was made (the new tech part).

I won't claim this is editorial gold... but it was a lot of fun and I'm already deep into a second production which will look at evolving the workflows and hopefully more to come after that (as long as I can keep pretending this is a real job to my bosses :))

Anyway have a quick watch if you like and enjoy:

Looking at the Moon Short Film:

Looking at the Moon Behind the Scenes Film:

Tar
matt

Palifan

Sith Lord
Hey Matt,

I thought the film came out great and it was really interesting to see the making of it as well to get an understanding for the way you put it together with the rest of your team.

As I was watching it I did start to wonder how the animation was being done as I know how long it takes to create work like this, so noticing you were using mo-cap in the end credits made a lot of sense. I thought it would really help in places if you could limit the feet sliding to help ground your characters a little more and also maybe push the facial shapes a bit to help with the lip sync. Maybe this is something you're already putting into your next film and I know that things like this are often easier said than done, but I don't mean that as any real criticism, it's just something that I'm always pushing for with my own work and the animators that I've been supervising recently.

It must be great to see your ideas coming to life like this though and I'll look forward to seeing your next creation.

Great work all round!

Ian

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Super piece of work, great watch very professional

congratulations obviously a lot of woRK has gone into this, but it has come out the other end superbly well mate

excellent

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
Hey Ian

Yeah - the feet were a tough one and really using mocap was one big learning curve - it helped with loads, but equally throw up a lot of issues - the big one being how to get a human performance and proportions into a non-human character - necks, hands, feed all became a nightmare there :) It was a lot of fun but it might be a little while before I get back to animation of this kind - the production I am working on now is around the pre-production phases and how motion-art can feed game engines and create something more valuable than dull story boards.

I hope to get back into animation proper next summer - and will certainly be looking to up the fidelity again, also switching from Unity to Unreal as a comparison.

Honestly, it's just nice to be creating stuff and learning right now.

Palifan

Sith Lord
Hey Ian

Yeah - the feet were a tough one and really using mocap was one big learning curve - it helped with loads, but equally throw up a lot of issues - the big one being how to get a human performance and proportions into a non-human character - necks, hands, feed all became a nightmare there :) It was a lot of fun but it might be a little while before I get back to animation of this kind - the production I am working on now is around the pre-production phases and how motion-art can feed game engines and create something more valuable than dull story boards.

I hope to get back into animation proper next summer - and will certainly be looking to up the fidelity again, also switching from Unity to Unreal as a comparison.

Honestly, it's just nice to be creating stuff and learning right now.
I know what you mean about putting the human performance into a non-human character being tricky. I think most people probably think that you just put a mobcap suit on and it works perfectly but there's so much that has to be done afterwards to really get everything working properly.

Great though that you've had a chance to work in this area and I'm sure you will keep pushing things as you get into your future projects.

looking forward to seeing what comes next :)

Ian

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom