Memories of the Blue Topps cards and what you did with them

bosk70

Jedi Master
Supporter
Just wondered what memories you all had, members of a certain age, of what you did with the Blue Topps cards back in the day.
Seeing some on here the other day. in scrap albums and school English projects, made me remember sticking them all to the wall :eek: with glue in the late 70's early 80's to make the rear picture, was it the usual sw poster art ? sure it was.
Also trading them in the school play ground. Think some were more rare at the time and you would need say an r2d2 and a tarkin to get say a Princes Liea.
Any photo's, I only have about 7 left of my original childhood blue cards.
Never collected the red or green sets as I think the craze had gone by then and we were then into the wanted cards which I loved at the time and the usual panini football cards. :D :D

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
One of my favourite memories from the late 70's was sitting in the front room of my nan's house aged about 4, watching Paint Along with Nancy and Crown Court, sat with 2 packs of Topps cards teying to make up the pictures on the back.

My unlce came home for lunch and asked me what I was doing, he said I needed more cards to complete the puzzle so he put my coat on and took me across to the corner shop opposite the road called Harris'. Typical liittle British corner shop selling all sorts.

My uncle asked for the whole display box of cards! Even now I can remember being in disbelief of being handed the whole box! :D

I sat there for the rest of the day studying each card and sellotaping the 2 posters up and sticking them on my bedroom door.

Happy days :)

Palifan

Sith Lord
These blue cards are one of my first strong memories about collecting. I was around 6 or 7 at the time (can't remember when they were release but worth taking a look into), and I used to get 10p pocket money so would spend that on two packets. I seem to remember collecting them at the same time the comic came out and also used to get 2000AD as well as my pocket money so I did quite well thinking back with the two comics a week as well.

I clearly remember swapping them in the playground to try and get a full set but alas I didn't quite get there although got pretty close. I'm lucky enough to still have my Blue and Red set so it was a good job I didn't stick them in my scrapbook (which did have quite a few pictures I cut out from the comic as well as some of my card backs). I also bought a complete set of both Blue and Red ones a while back just to have them all.

After the cards I started my FKS ESB sticker album which I got about two thirds of the way through and actually completed about two years ago by buying up stickers on eBay. To complete the trilogy I also collected the Jedi stickers and this time managed to complete the set which again I still have. I'm thinking I must have had more money to buy more stickers back then and I remember kids with piles of swaps so it was fairly easy to complete them (also there were a lot less to get the the ESB ones).

Happy days and I can still remember the smell of that pink bubble gum, what an extra bonus for a child!

Ian

bosk70

Jedi Master
Supporter
Crown Court classic :) I remember sitting with my grandparents watching giant haystacks wrestling big daddy playing sw on the floor great days here's my survivors, one says wow on the back must have been a rare one and one says Luke something :D

Attachments

• DSCF0572.JPG
    DSCF0572.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 563

bosk70

Jedi Master
Supporter
I still get 2000ad now :) and its still as good if not better, back of the cards have glue on them so must have stuck them on the wall too, remember sticking dredd pages on the wall too. But these things were meant to be played with so no regrets :D
Think I have a vague memory of clipping the cards to my grifter rear wheel to make the motor bike noise with the spokes :eek: hope this is a false memory but probably not :)

Lom

Jedi Master
Supporter
Still got mine luckily; I can remember my Dad getting a ton of those little corner stickers and meticulously putting them in my Star Wars scrap book for me so I could put the cards in the book, but enable me to take them out and make up the scenes on the back if I wanted to. Presumably I had a good few spares - no idea where they've gone.

183D02EE-5F22-41E3-BBBB-8CA5A6A1C5E1_zpsmzu6o0fj.jpg

8C5634CA-FA6F-4910-BE53-7D200BE66C48_zpswb3qt925.jpg

C5186674-68EC-4CFC-A32D-CB5B4D9BBE06_zpsdosb9ui9.jpg

bosk70

Jedi Master
Supporter
Great scrap book and remember the transfers too, loved putting them on the old dioramas , using the pencil :D

Palifan

Sith Lord
bosk70 said:
I still get 2000ad now :) and its still as good if not better, back of the cards have glue on them so must have stuck them on the wall too, remember sticking dredd pages on the wall too. But these things were meant to be played with so no regrets :D
Think I have a vague memory of clipping the cards to my grifter rear wheel to make the motor bike noise with the spokes :eek: hope this is a false memory but probably not :)

I've been buying up loads of Dredd comics in the US and have been enjoying them so much. Dread is another area of interest for my collecting and so glad that they finally make some decent march for it. Shame I can't be part of the 40 year celebrations but I'm there in spirit!

Here's a small collection of it although I need to do a new update (when my 3A Lawmaster finally arrives!! - http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=212&start=1920

Ian

bosk70

Jedi Master
Supporter
Palifan said:
bosk70 said:

I've been buying up loads of Dredd comics in the US and have been enjoying them so much. Dread is another area of interest for my collecting and so glad that they finally make some decent march for it. Shame I can't be part of the 40 year celebrations but I'm there in spirit!

Here's a small collection of it although I need to do a new update (when my 3A Lawmaster finally arrives!! - http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=212&start=1920

Ian

Sure I read that they have recently reprinted the Cursed Earth in hardback with the Mac Donald's caricatures that they were not allowed to re-print until now due to copy wright issues, must get a copy of that, as I think that's the story that's got the matchbox 2000 cars I used to play with as a kid in it, cool collection you have, I've got the Anderson and Durham Red figs, Anderson was always my fav a close second was the ballad of Halo Jones, worth getting that if you have not read it before. 2000ad was always a toy line that was a missed opportunity in the late 70's and 80's shame not much ever came out. :) Always been a great fan of Alan Moore , some of his later work is truly outstanding Nemo / the league of ex gentlemen comic book series etc. :D

Palifan

Sith Lord
bosk70 said:
Palifan said:
bosk70 said:

Ian

Sure I read that they have recently reprinted the Cursed Earth in hardback with the Mac Donald's caricatures that they were not allowed to re-print until now due to copy wright issues, must get a copy of that, as I think that's the story that's got the matchbox 2000 cars I used to play with as a kid in it, cool collection you have, I've got the Anderson and Durham Red figs, Anderson was always my fav a close second was the ballad of Halo Jones, worth getting that if you have not read it before. 2000ad was always a toy line that was a missed opportunity in the late 70's and 80's shame not much ever came out. :) Always been a great fan of Alan Moore , some of his later work is truly outstanding Nemo / the league of ex gentlemen comic book series etc. :D

I recently re-read the cursed earth arc which made for a great read. The reprints I've been picking up are US ones in colour and were published by Eagle/Quality in 1983 and then Quality Comics took over - https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=173861

They're not as big a size as 2000AD but the print on most of them is pretty good. I've also got some Anderson ones and the 2000AD monthly ones they had out here and although I don't really remember the stories from back in the day it does still take me back as I read 2000AD from prog 1 to around 800 ish. I remember Halo Jones being introduced into the comic but can't remember what the stories were about so I'll have to check some out. My second place was a toss up between Strontium Dog, ABC Warriors, Slain and Rogue Trooper (that was pretty much a full comic with Dredd and a future shock :lol: ).

Talking about the matchbox 2000 cars look what I picked up today - http://www.ebay.com/itm/1977-Vintage-Matchbox-Superfast-Adventure-2000-Flight-Hunter-Raider-Command-/152405612915?hash=item237c151973%3Ag%3AzHIAAOSw2xRYg-s6&nma=true&si=5a2EbZ5M%252FKG3u%252BrN5k4N%252FmeT%252FfA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Couldn't resist as I've been after a box for a while and although it doesn't have the figures the price was good for me.

Don't mean to take anything away from the Topps cards thread but couldn't help myself to talk a little 2000AD as it's been back in my life for a while now :D

Ian

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
I never even knew we got them in the UK.

Am I right I'm thinking they never lasted to ESB which is where I came in?

Tickion

Padawan
chipsteak said:
I never even knew we got them in the UK.

Am I right I'm thinking they never lasted to ESB which is where I came in?

We got the SW blue and red sets in the UK. Then for ESB we had the sticker album by FKS plus Topps ESB Initial Stickers.

Cymonguk

Padawan
I remember having tonnes of the blue cards, and friends the same, i didn't eat chewing gum so would swap a couple of pieces for a card.

I still believe that I have the RotJ sticker album somewhere, again it is probably in my mums loft! I didnt get to see RotJ at the cinema so got the book at the library and spent hours looking at the pics. I have no idea why I wasn't taken other than the cost. I had to wait for my local video shop to get it in to watch it!

Jaydow

Hi all

I got loads of blue cards that I would love to trade in order to get a full set.

Missing 24, 36, 43 and 48 on the blue.

Trying to do the picture on the back to put in a frame and hang up.

Anyone fancy helping me out? Pretty much have spares off every other card. Will be happy to trade more if required to get the ones I have missing?

Many thank

Jason

Dublinjeff

Grand Master
Great topic... :D

I loved these cards as a kid...can still remember the smell of the pink gum sticks and the feel of the fresh mint cards...

As to what I did with them as a kid, i guess i grew out of them. One thing I do remember was a school yard game called 'Flicksies'..

It involved two players flicking cards from about 5ft away from a wall, nearest edge of either card won! If it was a rarer card versus something else, you maybe had to win 3/1 games to get that card....simple times :lol:

Jez

Sith Lord
Why do i have no memory of this :cry: :cry:
I remember the stickers but not these.

Ok, prepare the jokes, form an orderly queue!
This is when Richard states that I was 30 back then hence my lack of memory about them.

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Jez said:
Why do i have no memory of this :cry: :cry:
I remember the stickers but not these.

Ok, prepare the jokes, form an orderly queue!
This is when Richard states that I was 30 back then hence my lack of memory about them.

I'm with you mate, no memory of these at all...
Empire stickers is the first time I remember similar type items

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom