Memories needed for my Star Wars book

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
Simply Sci-fi said:
Great memories. Star Wars dominated the lives of so many of us in our childhood, and beyond.

I'm certain that the Double Bill hit cinemas nationally in 1982 as I have the advertising. I haven't yet found evidence of individual cinemas showing a Double Bill in 1981. I'm not ruling anything out in my research.

Craig.

Craig, I can help you with this. Marler Haley sent out a pamphlet to theatres ahead of the double bill, explaining about accompanying promotional materials. The booklet is dated 29th April 1982 and it states that "Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back are back together at most theatres from May 30th".

From this clipping it looks like West End got it a bit earlier though...
482+2JUNE82+STAR+WARS+DOUBLEBILL.jpg

Simply Sci-fi

Jedi Knight
Thanks for the info. I've included the Double Bill promotional brochure in the book, along with all of the dates it played nationally.

I haven't been able to track down many original adverts for the local showings though. I'll have to see what turns up.

av6

Jedi Knight
I was 5 when Jedi hit cinemas. By this time though I was already hooked having seen Star Wars numerous times on TV and a VHS recording. Going back to Jedi for a second. I was on a holiday in Wales with family and can remember going to see it on opening day. I was so excited. I can still remember wondering what was going on with Han Solo having not seen Empire. It wasn't until some time later when Empire was released on VHS that we rented a copy and I got my answers. I can also remember the day we went to see Jedi. It was an evening showing we went to, so we did a little bit of looking around during the day. I ended up in a toy shop and to say they had very few Star Wars fiugres on their hangers would be a understatement. I can remember the figure that I bought was 4-LOM on a ESB card. I really did not want this figure, but it was either buy it or walk away empty handed. I bought the figure. The crazy thing is that this exact figure is high on my wants list today.

Moving onto the toys. I was around 4 at the time and I had my heart set on getting my hands on as many of the figures and vehicles that I could. I got my first figure when I was shopping in town with my Mother. She took me to a shop called Hughes & Holmes which was a shop that sold a bit of everything including STAR WARS FIGURES. They had one of those turnstyle type hangers which was full of Star Wars figures. I mean they were all there. Luke, Han, Leia, Chewie, Ben.... I made my choice without any hesitation. Darth Vader. He was on a Kenner Star Wars 12 back card. I really couldnt tell you what my second, third or fourth figure was. I was bought one figure, sometimes two a week from then on.
The next Christmas was absolutely crazy. I was bought more figures and vehicles than I could have ever wished for. I can remember being bought the Milleniun Falcon, Darth Vader's Tie Fighter, W-Wing, Y-Wing, At-At, Snowspeeder amongst other playsets and mini rigs. I also was given endless carded figures. Having not seen Empire at this point I can remember not being too fussed with my Snowspeeder, At-At and Slave 1. These ships had absolutely no meaning or definition to me. Then when I eventually saw Empire, this changed very quickly as you can imagine.

I can also remember when the Star Wars craze started to die down and my friends at school were moving onto other lines. NOT ME! I would swap things that I had been given as gifts that I absolutely no interest in for their Star Wars figures. I had duplicates galore. It's safe to say that I was obsessed............ and still are.

Paul.

Simply Sci-fi

Jedi Knight
Thanks for sharing such great memories. I have described experiences such as yours in the book. A lot of younger children became fans of the saga with Return of the Jedi – a great deal more than did with The Empire Strikes Back.

Return of the Jedi has been criticized for failing the older fans but it was the younger children who were instrumental in keeping the saga alive. The fact that Star Wars was released on video and television was a huge game changer as it got children hooked before ROTJ came out. That hadn't been part of Lucasfilm's strategy at all and it was 20th Century Fox who twisted Lucas' arm.

My book ends at the end of 1983. If I get the chance to write the sequel, I'll chronicle the years when Star Wars began to become less popular and collectors had a bonanza.

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
I'm really excited about your book Craig, do you have any idea when it will be published?
What about a signing session at the next Farthest From?

Simply Sci-fi

Jedi Knight
Clarkspie&chips said:
I'm really excited about your book Craig, do you have any idea when it will be published?
What about a signing session at the next Farthest From?

Thanks for the positive words. The publisher doesn't have a precise release date yet, so I can't book any promotional events just yet.

Simply Sci-fi

Jedi Knight
Tony jedi said:
Hi Craig if you pm me I can share my memories. Thanks.

The text of the book has already been completed, so I can't include anything else I'm sorry to say. If get the chance to write a second book in the series chronicling Star Wars in the UK from 1984 to the present, I'll be looking for a fresh batch of memories.

Craig.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom