Mandalorian Season 3

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
It certainly improved with each episode, but as a season it's regressed on quality. I feel the Mandalorians recapturing their planet was a rabbit hole Disney didn't really need to go down and diluted the quality which will always happen with Disney and the spearhead of capitalism. Was still entertaining, even if you love braking bad. 😉

Jawaddywaddy74

Surprised no further comments since the series aired & reached its 'climax'. Sadly despite some great moments, this season veered way off course & totally unnecessarily, ditching what made the Mandalorian so special (and rare), in favour of Phantom Menace style tripe.

The sharp mid- plot cut without warning to the post Empire city sub- plot was DREADFUL. It was not interesting or important enough to warrant near 2 episodes to waste our time on. And the sharp edit into it did not work. I was left feeling a bit gutted. The writing on this season was way below par.

Thank Christ Moff Gideon may finally be dead. Sorry Giancarlo; after 'Gustavo', here you are looking very thin on the fright factor...

If it ain't broke why fix it? A case of overkill & no doubt too many decision makers at odds with each other.
Go back to plan A. It worked.

Last edited:

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
If you follow the Nielsen figures - then Mando season 3 is quite the flop, certainly next to season 2.

Interestingly (or not) Mando isn't the only Disney show/film to be suffering - it looks like a lot of the stuff coming from the house of mouse is underperforming right now - but then again, creative output today is based on the decisions made a few years ago, so if the view is that Bob C did a poor job, and the fact he was booted out and replaced once more by Bob I, then maybe this is the commercial/critical result of those decisions and it's going to take a few years to get things back on track.

More widely there were eyebrows raised last year when Warner suddenly pulled Batgirl (despite being finished at around 80m) - but maybe there was some wisdom in it. Warner have pulled and paused a lot of their previously announced slate and are strategically reworking their universe (mostly around the DC stuff to be fair, but still the Flash gets released...) - maybe Disney should take note, with both SW and Marvel, pause and reset rather than push stuff out which gets panned and further damages the overall brand - or at best adds to a tiredness and more commercial pressure as they loose money?

That said Ahsoka looks nice (trailer wise) and very much looking forward to it, Secret Wars could be amazing and despite the doom merchants a new Indy film is always a treat (I don't even mind Kingdom of the Crystal Skull) - so plenty to look forward to - and seeing where Ahsoka leads in terms of the Mandoverse Movie announced will be interesting (will it be a Disney+ movie or a real movie???? - I hope real, if it is just an extended TV episode that would be a bit sucky).

But on Mando specifically - it just missed the mark and I think was asked to do things it wasn't meant to or the writers really wanted to do - namely, sell Grogu toys and start to build up the back story to the Force Awakens. I think if they had focused more on the battle for mandolor and bringing the clans together and made the remnant forces and pirates more of thing from the get go it might have been more fun - but what do I know :)

jesseherbert

If you follow the Nielsen figures - then Mando season 3 is quite the flop, certainly next to season 2.

Interestingly (or not) Mando isn't the only Disney show/film to be suffering - it looks like a lot of the stuff coming from the house of mouse is underperforming right now - but then again, creative output today is based on the decisions made a few years ago, so if the view is that Bob C did a poor job, and the fact he was booted out and replaced once more by Bob I, then maybe this is the commercial/critical result of those decisions and it's going to take a few years to get things back on track.

More widely there were eyebrows raised last year when Warner suddenly pulled Batgirl (despite being finished at around 80m) - but maybe there was some wisdom in it. Warner have pulled and paused a lot of their previously announced slate and are strategically reworking their universe (mostly around the DC stuff to be fair, but still the Flash gets released...) - maybe Disney should take note, with both SW and Marvel, pause and reset rather than push stuff out which gets panned and further damages the overall brand and also the rgb lightsabers - or at best adds to a tiredness and more commercial pressure as they loose money?

That said Ahsoka looks nice (trailer wise) and very much looking forward to it, Secret Wars could be amazing and despite the doom merchants a new Indy film is always a treat (I don't even mind Kingdom of the Crystal Skull) - so plenty to look forward to - and seeing where Ahsoka leads in terms of the Mandoverse Movie announced will be interesting (will it be a Disney+ movie or a real movie???? - I hope real, if it is just an extended TV episode that would be a bit sucky).

But on Mando specifically - it just missed the mark and I think was asked to do things it wasn't meant to or the writers really wanted to do - namely, sell Grogu toys and start to build up the back story to the Force Awakens. I think if they had focused more on the battle for mandolor and bringing the clans together and made the remnant forces and pirates more of thing from the get go it might have been more fun - but what do I know :)
I hate to say that but you are right. Season 3 is not that much excited like the season 2.

Wald

Padawan
What did you think?
1. It's so nice to see many familiar locations.:)
sample.png

2. WTH kind of name is Grogu?:ROFLMAO:
1686690171541.png

3. The CGI and FX - they never fail to astound! Even more inspiring than ever!

Those are my thoughts. ;)

BabyAckbar

Padawan
Have Favereau and Filoni ever explained why they used the idea the tracking fobs, etc?

It is a cool idea that the Empire would want to monitor people and bounty hunters would make use of it but it makes no sense for Grogu to be chipped or for some criminals that Mando hunts.

A bounty hunter should be a hunter, finds a trail and follows it.

It has left a gaping plot hole (one that I can ignore except when waiting for a supermyto open :p) in the series. Why would Gideon and the Client hire mercenaries when he has his own army?

Or have I missed something obvious?

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Let's see what, if anything, Disney has learned. If they have a lick of sense or any interest in turning a profit from the Mando film (as opposed to making yet another ~$100+ million loss like most of their films for the last 2 years), they need to bring back Gina Carano as Cara Dune (and publicly apologise to her as well; fat chance of that from KK voluntarily, but Iger could theoretically force it to happen), and also have Mark Hamill reprise his young non-washed up, non-hermit-on-an-island, non-Luke-Skywalker Luke Skywalker, a la the final episode of Mando season 2. The film will also need to use the Veil of the Force to officially decanonise the godawful sequel trilogy... however since Disney is still officially curling out another Rey stinker, that doesn't look likely... and hence I suspect this film will fail. I take no pleasure in saying that, but then again I've taken precious little pleasure from Disney Star Wars full stop.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Looking forward to all the new stuff, but I have reservations about the choice of director for the Rey film. She seems very inexperienced and Ms Marvel was very meh. Favreau taking the helm for the Mando movie is the way to go... hopefully!

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
Favreau is a fan-boy and an extremely experienced, accomplished film-maker - perfect choice for SW on the Big-Screen.

I am hoping for a largely stand-alone story (maybe with a few light nods to the wider SW Universe) that give the Mando a real adventure to go on.

As for Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy directing the Rey movie - I agree, she is a very odd choice given her lack of experence with Major Bockbusters - i.e. non at all. She does have 2 Ms Marvel episodes under her belt (they were not that great) and some animations, but mostly she is a documentarian, a very successful one with a couple of Oscars to her name.

The one thing documentarians do very well is get to the heart of an issue and present a very human, relatable spin on the story (something SW very much needs) and the script is being written by Steven Knight (Peaky Blinders), who is a fantastic writer (IMO) - so maybe there is something in it, a great writer and story teller teaming up with someone who gets the human condition and maybe they can bring all that to make us fall in love with Rey and her story (Because lets face it - the last three films failed to do that, for all their characters). And odd choice, maybe, but lets see what they can do and judge the film on merits when it arrives assuming it does actually move forward - you will note it is not formally green-lit right now... Patty Jenkins can tell you all about that I'm sure....

Latest posts

Top Bottom