'Lili Ledy' Paploo - Have I bought a repaint?

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
I would like the help of the forum please. I recently bought the Paploo figure shown below (the one on the right in the 1st pic. The figure on the left is there for comparison purposes only). It was advertised as being a Lili Ledy version, and the seller was one I had used several times before without issue. My previous purchases from them have been legit Lili Ledy figures, and so I had no concerns either about buying from them again, or in the authenticity of the figure.

As some of you may know, I collect visually different figures variants, and the unusual black face paint on this figure caught my eye. However, I committed the cardinal sin of not doing my research properly before buying it, and I have a horrible (and increasingly confident :() feeling that I have bought a fake, in the sense that I believe it has probably been repainted.

Since buying it, I have tried to find any evidence for the existence of a black face paint Lili Ledy Paploo figure, but I am drawing a blank. Also, when taking the photographs below and looking at them on my PC screen at vastly greater magnification than my eyes and a magnifying glass can manage, the black paint application looks rather sloppy (although some genuine vintage paint applications can be pretty poor, so that in itself is not conclusive).

However, before I complain to the seller and request a return and refund, I naturally want to be sure of my facts, so does anyone here know if a black face paint Paploo figure was indeed ever made, either by Lili Ledy or anyone else please? I'm guessing one wasn't, but every day's a school day in this hobby, so I am quite prepared to be told that I'm wrong!

Your help would be most appreciated! Thank you.

Jeremy

Paploo - 01.jpg

Paploo - 02.jpg

Paploo - 03.jpg

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Wasn't there a new online variant guide being developed, by Woolf I think? If this variant exists, it would be on there

batman

Padawan
I'm not a Lily Ledy expert but when i zoom in your picture i can see grey paint under the black in the eyelids and the feather on his hood looks like it has a darker shade of red paint added in the grooves.

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
All Paploo and Lumat figures are made by Lili Ledy. If you check any Paploo or Lumat card they will all say Made in Mexico on them.

Although the VV website has not been updated for the last 17 figures there are no differing coos other than those shown, all carrying no details on the back of the legs or torso.

I can not comment on whether there are differing paint applications on the eyes as it is not an area I am overly familiar with, however you should not be paying over the odds for a paploo figure thinking that you are getting a unique Lili Ledy figure as far as I understand it.

Attachments

• 69BC5F3D-E593-49B3-9243-3C49DA5BD291.png
    69BC5F3D-E593-49B3-9243-3C49DA5BD291.png
    379.5 KB · Views: 34
  • AB6FEC18-D2AE-4815-82BA-A4D3014F962C.png
    AB6FEC18-D2AE-4815-82BA-A4D3014F962C.png
    432.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 9A85F505-0633-4954-8CFC-2C7083DBFE3E.png
    9A85F505-0633-4954-8CFC-2C7083DBFE3E.png
    399.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 02ABD389-EC59-464B-A54B-10AA80EBF2EC.png
    02ABD389-EC59-464B-A54B-10AA80EBF2EC.png
    417.3 KB · Views: 39

momike

Jedi Master
I'm no expert with LL figures but that looks really off imo, looks like marker pen to me

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Consensus in group chat is repainted. As others said in this thread can see grey below. If it is a genuine different colour it would be factory error rather than specific LL variant as none is known
Thank you very much for your help, Jay. It's much appreciated.

Thanks too to everyone else that also responded. Sadly, it looks like I've been sold a pup, so I will contact the seller to ask for a return and refund. I'll let you know how I get on.

Jeremy

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Good news. The seller has accepted the return, so hopefully I won't be too much out of pocket over this; exchange rates always seem to work against you whichever way your money's going, but at least I should get the majority of it back.

Also, lesson learned! Note to self: Always do your homework before buying, even from a seller you trust. Honest mistakes (and some not so honest 'mistakes') can and do happen from time to time, so try not to repeat this one of your own again in the future! :)

Pomse2001

Grand Master
I have never seen or heard about a black eye paploo figure. All Paploo figures is lili ledy. It looks repainted to me. I am glad you got your money back ;)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom