Lego Cloud City

Matt

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum so I apologise in advance if I have posted this in the wrong place.

I purchased a Lego Cloud City set from the Lego Catalogue several years ago (2003/2004 I think) and has been in storage ever since. Unfortunately, the box was opened to check the contents but the bags containing the Lego pieces are still sealed. The box itself is slightly dented/bent and not in the best condition, possibly caused by damp or heat damage.

I have noticed on eBay that people are listing this set for quite a lot of money; even the mini figures seem expensive. I was recommended to join this forum and I am hoping that maybe someone here could help identify its value. I did search the forum before posting.

Here is a link to some photos of the set https://picasaweb.google.com/106547533763145380481/LegoCloudCity?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCJaphM2y5vbIlgE&feat=directlink . I would really appreciate it if anyone knew what it could be worth as I have no idea (I don't have high expectations!).

Matt

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
Hi Matt
welcome along.
To be honest the best forum for appraising and selling Lego is probably brickset.com, there really isn't anything Lego related that you cant find an answer to up there. A specific Lego marketplace site called bricklink.com will help you get an idea of price as well. Although there are a few chaps here that are big into their Lego.
As for your set, if it is the real deal then yes you do have a rare and valuable set on your hands. Out of the figures it is really the Boba Fett that commands the highest price, but if all figures, instructions, and bricks are there in the box then you can expect to get a fair sum of money. As to what that might be exactly that is a bit harder to say. I believe a sealed box sold via the brickset forum recently and the asking price was $850, whether or not that was the final price i have no idea. Even if your box is open, if the condition is good that won't affect price too much and it wouldn't surprise me if you could get around $700, maybe more (north of £500 in real money). there is one auction ending tomorrow night on Evilbay that might be worth watching as that will give you an idea of going market value - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STAR-WARS-LEGO-10123-CLOUD-CITY-COMPLETE-WITH-ALL-FIGURES-INSTRUCTIONS-RARE-/350603136906?pt=UK_Construction_Toys_Kits&hash=item51a1934f8a&_uhb=1#ht_1202wt_1397

What i would say is if you are thinking of selling this one checkout Brickset.com and bricklink.com, scan the evilbay listings and get a good idea of value before listing. Personally i would start the sale on this forum and brickset as both are frequented by fans and generally are a good bunch and you can always evlibay if you don't get offers or offers you like.
Alternatively i will take it off your hands for £5 :)
Seriously though this is a 'holy grail' set so do plenty of research before deciding what to do with it.
Best of luck
matt

Matt

Thanks for your advice and your kind offer.

I've never heard of the websites that you recommended so I'll have a look on those first. I don't really know whether to keep the set or not. I haven't been collecting Star Wars for a few years and I had no idea Lego would be so valuable. Some of the sets seem to be worth more than the vintage figures (it seems like they have gone down in value since compared to when I purchased mine).

Although to be honest I am broke at the moment, so £5 is quite tempting :lol: .

If I do decide to sell it, I'll definitely post on here.

Matt

Stormtrooper37

Sith Lord
Hi Matt

Agree with Monkeyroo.

I have previously owned Cloud City, but sold it last year it was complete, but no box. I split mine, sold the mini figures separately and then the set.

I got £135.00 GBP alone for just Boba Fett :D, Lando Calrissian sold for £75.00 GBP :D, the others were less but still fetched between £15 - £30. I can't remember the exact price the set sold for though

It seems everyone who collects Star Wars Lego wants this set, especially Boba Fett with the unique print details that set this minifigure apart from other Lego Fetts.

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
^ there is a large question over the authenticity of that cloud city. Over on Brickset it has been called out as a fake - http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/6414/wait-they-grade-lego#latest
the relevant comments are are the end of the thread and they do seem genuine (the comments, not the cloud city, which i am assuming is a fake)

Matt

Thanks for all the replies. I am still really surprised about the cost of the set, I originally thought that the sellers on eBay were just listing them at unrealistic prices. It is hard to believe that the Boba Fett mini figure is so valuable.

I've seen graded action figures in the past but I was unaware that Lego was graded too. None of my collectables are graded as I have always been unsure about the grading system and if is worthwhile.

Would it be really be worth getting this Cloud City set graded?

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
I would agree With the elequently worded statement above . Noooooooooooo.

Actually I think as your set is open AFA won't touch it so you would have to do a UGrade. Overall you could ask for more money eventually, but it will cost a bit to get this done and when done you limit your buyer market significantly. If it is to sell then the question is do you take a virtual slam dunk of £500ish or invest more and hang on for the one or two guys that might want a UGraded cloud city for £xxxx. Basic risk and reward stuff. Graded lego is not a widespread thing and the buyer seller market is small right now and I have never seen a UGrade piece before myself.
It might be worth grading the figures to try to get the most out of them if that is your thing and then sell the set for whatever you can get?
My advise is either build the city and enjoy it for the model it is (if you get a slave 1 and put it on the landing pad it looks good) or sell the set as is, he'll even after you build it you can sell for hundreds if the condition is good. But that's me, you have to make the call.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom