Just defrosted my first carded figure :)

threaders20

Jedi Knight
Hi.
I got this lando skiff on a card a couple of weeks back. Seller did state that there was a bit of mould on the head, so I got it at a fair price. I then decided to sell it on but didn't get much interest in it.
One member on here said he had read up on how to remove the mould and that it was generally known as frosting and not all that uncommon. From the research I did, it looked like gentle heat was the way to go and there was someone on YouTube who tried placing his carded figure on a radiator, the. Under a uv bulb and then by placing the card in direct sunlight.
Sunlight seemed the most popular way, but I knew I could be waiting months for any sunlight in this country. I didn't like the radiator idea as I though it might melt the glue sealing the bubble, so I tried the bulb method.
This is just a normal 60 watt bulb as I didn't have a uv bulb and the general consensus was that it is the heat that sorts it.
So being very carefull I placed the card flat on a table, and got the bulb as close as I could while making sure the card wasn't to near in case of melting :shock: I kept checking every few seconds with my finger to make sure the heat was not too excessive and didn't take my eyes of the bubble and the whole process took about 5 minuets. Check it :)
Before:
image_zps6o3pxnew.jpg

During:
image_zpsoftaasa7.jpg

I had the card tilted up and concentrated the main heat and light right at landos head. I kept the bulb about 1 inch away. The bulb was off when I started so the heat just built up gently and as soon as the frosting disappeared I turned off the bulb.
After:
image_zpsoqwikjek.jpg

All frosting gone, even from the back of his head. Don't you love it when a resto takes only 5 mins and actually works :)
Normal 60 watt bulb 1 inch from the affected area and keep checking with your finger on the bubble to make sure the heat is not to strong and watch and wait for 5 mins.

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Nice one! That has worked a treat 8) I have a Han in need of this treatment... my desk lamp though is a bloody energy saving bulb and as such doesn't really get hot... I'll have to have a think on who I can borrow a lamp from!

db94

Sith Lord
Supporter
Mate you missed a trick - you had the grey haired Lando from the upcoming Star Wars Episode 8 :lol:
Great write up - appreciate the clear instructions and pictures for future reference, bet you were holding your breath the whole time you were doing it!

poncho

Grand Master
Easy fix isnt it :) nice one bud. Congrats 8)

Imagine if you forgot about it i wonder if the bubble would of cracked big time

pizzathehutt

Sith Lord
if only i knew this before i sold on my potf b-wing pilot, he was completely frosted over which put me off, it would've been some transformation!

Leemcl

Jedi Master
Pleased I was able to help you out there mate :)

Lando Skiff Guard figures deserve all the love ( and light ) possible.

Did you sell it in the end ?

Cheers.

Lee

threaders20

Jedi Knight
Thanks for the replies fellas. It is nice when a simple thing takes minutes and works great :) he is up for sale on the Facebook starwars forum page if anyone's interested.
My last hydrogen peroxide shuttle disaster if you find it on here it shows my last restoration attempt which was disastrous so well chuffed with how this worked out :)

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
Nice work there. I once did it using the morn sunlight for a couple of mins on a 12 back Kenner large head Han and a 45b 4LOM I once owned. Worked a treat 8)

Bunglebubs

Jedi Knight
I never knew you could do this either. Wish I had known a while back and would have tried it on a Battlestar Galactica MOC I had before I sent it off for grading.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom