Greetings

Baral Fobre

Hi everyone,

Just signed up and thought I should introduce myself. The name's Baral Fobre, I live in the UK and founded the New Jediism Order, a Jedi church based on the philosophical teachings in Star Wars.

Jediism is a religion based on the philosophical teachings of the fictional Jedi found in George Lucas' Star Wars Saga. The 2001 census saw over 390,000 people across the UK and half a million adults worldwide claim their religion as 'Jedi' - something which now has turned from a jovial protest against the government's decision to include a question on religion to the census that comes around every decade into a serious religion with a number of Jedi churches globally.

In terms of Star Wars collections, many members of our church of Jediism are of course star wars fans and collect items and similar for a bit of fun. What are the best sites that sell SW memorabilia? We've got a few products in our online store but it would be good to know some other websites to recommend to the fans amongst our members who want to buy merchandise!

In case you were wondering, the link is http://www.newjediismorder.org.

Thanks, and of course - May the Force be with you.

Baral

Baral Fobre

There's actually a discussion on that on our own forums! Jediism is something that is very individual and so views vary from person to person, however the general view is that christmas is a good time to reflect on the year that has passed and should be celebrated but for the reason of focusing on the theme of giving - rather than the christian ideas of the nativity.

MTFBWY.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
untitled.png

PGowdy

Grand Master
It's a recognised religion in the UK, Canada and Australia. In the UK there are more registered Jedi than Buddhists or Jews. Seriously.

aussiejames

Sith Lord
Jedi was not accepted as a religion for our census. Wasn't there a news story about a 'Jedi' that refused to remove his cloak at a shop (or something like that?)

PGowdy

Grand Master
aussiejames said:
Jedi was not accepted as a religion for our census. Wasn't there a news story about a 'Jedi' that refused to remove his cloak at a shop (or something like that?)

Sorry, my mistake. I misread... Jediism is very popular with over 70,000 members as of 2006 putting it as their religion in the census tho these entries were not considered valid. They have not been able to answer why as the criteria is a recognised religion with an understood and documented set of belief's or philosophies. In New Zealand a similar phenomenon exists. If Jedi was accepted as a religion there, it would be the 2nd most popular behind the equally fictional Christian.

In the UK however Jediism HAS been official accepted as a religion since 2001.

BlueDog

Sith Lord
Yep well if the Church of Scientology is as big as it is today I can only guess how big Jediism will be in another 100 years.

Just need a figure head who's a damn good bullshit artist and equally adept at scamming peoples money and your half way there.

Jedi temples made o' gold I tells ya.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Is Scientology actually recognised as religion though?
I thought most countries refused to recognise it on the grounds that it's a cult (though I genuinely fail to see any difference between what the mainstream call a "cult" and religion in general but anyway) and the fact that you have to pay to learn about its teachings etc.

PGowdy

Grand Master
weasel said:
Is Scientology actually recognised as religion though?
I thought most countries refused to recognise it on the grounds that it's a cult (though I genuinely fail to see any difference between what the mainstream call a "cult" and religion in general but anyway) and the fact that you have to pay to learn about its teachings etc.

Yeah, all religions are "cults" so there is no difference. People laugh and scoff at scientologists and yet nothing could be more ridiculous than the story Christianity is based on. Also, almost all Christian churches ask their patrons for an "optional", regular donation. In the bible it states it should be 10% of what you earn. I've known many people which give that much and more. If you ask a priest or preacher how much you should give, they'll be very quick to point out that particular scripture.

Check the definition of Cult [below] and see if it matches the description of Christianity or Muslim etc

Cult (klt)

1. A religion or religious sect generally considered to be extremist or false, with its followers often living in an unconventional manner under the guidance of an authoritarian, charismatic leader. CHECK!

2. A system or community of religious worship and ritual. CHECK!

3. The formal means of expressing religious reverence; religious ceremony and ritual. CHECK!

4. A usually nonscientific method or regimen claimed by its originator to have exclusive or exceptional power in curing a particular disease. CHECK AND CHECK!

5. Obsessive, especially faddish, devotion to or veneration for a person, principle, or thing. WOW, CHECK CHECK CHECK!

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Pete, you're making this sound like you don't think God is real!? :shock: :? :? :eek:

:wink: :lol:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom