Fans of The Shining

x-pack

Grand Master
Jedi_june said:
I love this movie me and wifey always watch this when there's a snowstorm in NY :lol: it's a classic.

This is the version u want! I suggest the blue ray US version, the picture is stunning. Version is 144min.

Check out this link :mrgreen: :
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Shining-Blu-ray/508/

Thanks for this link June. I ordered this edition. Blu-ray. Runs at 144 minutes and has plenty of extras. Just what i'm looking for :)

x-pack

Grand Master
Got the 144 minute blu-ray today. Not a bad delivery time from the US. Region free so should work on the PS3.

It'll be weekend before I can check it out :)

rob71

Sith Lord
Just seen this thread 4 weeks later :lol: . Did you get to watch the Shining Blu-rays yet Barry and Andy? Are the extras worth buying it for and does the extra length of the movie add or detract from the whole experience?

I personally love the movie the way it is, the combination of suspense, overall eerieness, and humour (check out Jack Nicholson's little dance as he enters the bar), just before the butler goes from friendly and polite to psychopathic :? . But I could be tempted to buy a new version.

chazb73

Sith Lord
Hey Rob :)

I just decided to buy the original version. Just wanted to watch it on blu ray. Not had the chance yet though :roll:

Over to you Barry...

x-pack

Grand Master
The Mrs is scared so haven't got round to watching my new copy yet :roll: Bizarrely she studied The Shining as part of her media studies course and now she craps herself at it. It's the same thing with the Nightmare on Elm Street and Hellraiser boxsets I bought - she won't watch 'em :x

I will endevour to get on with it over the next week and give you guys an update.

The US version says 144 minutes. I think the UK is about 118 minutes long. That's quite a chunk cut out. Looking forward to seeing the difference.

rob71

Sith Lord
:lol: that sounds about right. Can't get my mrs to watch anything remotely scary usually. However I did manage to get her to sit through "The Conjuring" with me last week which was really out of character.

chazb73

Sith Lord
Yep Snap!

She won't watch this sort of thing.

I done media studies Barry. Didn't do the Shining. We done Hitchcock mostly and Blade Runner (love it)

My lecturer said Kubrick was overrated and she would ever have A Clockwork Orange in her collection.

x-pack

Grand Master
Right. I've now watched the US blu ray version and can say I had some mixed feelings, but overall it is the version of choice for me.

I do think that anyone who hasn't seen the film at all should watch the UK version first. When you've seen both you can see why bit were trimmed. These parts aren't necessarily bad but some of them do take away the mystery surrounding Danny's powers of telepathy and also reveal some previous 'bad parenting' on the part of Jack Torrence.

I won't go into too much detail but the extras are mainly bits of extended conversation here and there. But there are some parts cut out that are really interesting. For me these focused on the possession of Danny by his imaginary friend 'Tony'; a phone call from Hannoran (the African cook) to a car rental place to get a Snow Cat; and then a conversation between Jack and Wendy where he is clearly in denial, trying his best to manipulate her thoughts about the attack on Danny.

The only extra I wasn't keen on was a scene near the end where Wendy is running around the hotel panicking. She runs into the Golden Room and it's full of skeletons. It's a bit too on the nose for this film and doesn't quite fit.

As for the Blu-ray it doesn't make a great deal of difference. The film is already visually stunning. There may be some more depth and clear detail but I hardly noticed it. There are loads of extras but i haven't got around to watching them yet.

So my tip for Shining newbs is to watch the UK version. For fans who know the movie, give the 144 minute version a go. Only thing is that it's hard to get hold of ...and i'm not selling my copy :wink:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom