EBAY USA

Rustyrankin

Padawan
guy's does anyone us the US ebay to buy their vintage stuff, just looking at some MOC and the prices aren't to bad and they have more choice, just wondered what your experiences are with US Ebay

maxf

Jedi Master
I've bought much less on there recently - since they started their global shipping program. This charges you for import fees at checkout, which adds a huge amount to the final figure and seems to be more than just paying Parcelfarce, or gambling.

In the past I'd get most of my SW from Ebay US - I still check US, CA, IT, FR and AU for local rarities - then try and speak to the sellers to get them to ship overseas.

steve obi wan

Sith Lord
Supporter
I bought most of my figures from the U.S. , only big factor is what the exchange rate is , need to factor in this , postage and customs charges

But I have not had a bad experience yet

Steve

Rustyrankin

Padawan
yes just clocked the import charges, they push the prices up a little, it's more the choice than anything, i'll have a good look and work some prices out

as always cheers for feedback guy's :mrgreen:

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
The exchange rate isn't great at the moment but some items are still cheaper enough over there to make it worthwhile. Personally I'm a big fan of the global shipping program, the actual shipping cost is very reasonable (usually less than USPS) and I don't have a problem with the import tax if I know what it is upfront and the item still gets delivered to my door quickly.

What I absolutely HATE about normal international shipping is they stop your parcel at customs for 2 weeks, make you go and collect it from them and then have the cheek to charge you for it!

pizzathehutt

Sith Lord
buying loose figures has been fine for me, a mate of mine bought a boxed at-at and had to pay £40 on top when it arrived which wasnt worth it in the end.

so i would say small items is fine but big stuff you may get stung!

maxf

Jedi Master
edd_jedi said:
Personally I'm a big fan of the global shipping program, the actual shipping cost is very reasonable (usually less than USPS) and I don't have a problem with the import tax if I know what it is upfront and the item still gets delivered to my door quickly.

They charge 20% tax, when it should be more like 5% - I'm not sure if you're able to claim the difference back from HMRC though. On smaller items, I'd eat the cost - but on bigger stuff it becomes a point of principal - I pay enough tax already!

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
Talk to the seller beforehand, many will put a low value on the customs form so you don't have to pay the tax. Even if you do, you should be able to claim it back from HMRC (there's another thread about this somewhere), so you'll only pay the handling fee.

Make sure you're going to be happy with the item, you don't want to have to do a return :p

Rustyrankin

Padawan
Talk to the seller beforehand, many will put a low value on the customs form so you don't have to pay the tax. Even if you do, you should be able to claim it back from HMRC (there's another thread about this somewhere), so you'll only pay the handling fee.

Make sure you're going to be happy with the item, you don't want to have to do a return :p

spot on there, i'll do some research and like you said talk to the seller first
:mrgreen:

steve obi wan

Sith Lord
Supporter
Just a watch out , this is a federal offence, I know they are clamping down on it , most sellers are putting it though the global shipping program.

But the exchange rate at the minute isn't great

Steve

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
Another watchout for that is that you'll only be insured for the value declared on the parcel if things go wrong.

walkie

Sith Lord
I buy loads from the US, in fact all over the world. I have to agree that the prices are a lot more pocket friendly.

Some tips.

1) Skip listings with "import charges" already one.

2) Partner up with a US collector, ship to him and bulk ship to the UK

3) Contact he sellers, ask if there happy to ship to the UK, sometimes they don't automatically add it to their listing.

4) Ask if there a forum member, here or RS. Sometimes helps with shipping ;)

5) If it's a low cost item you can always risk having it sent as GIFT with a low declared value, and stick 2 fingers up to the vat man !! :lol:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom