Downloading music

sith-smith

Grand Master
Anywhere here remember sites like Kazaa and LimeWire for downloading music?

Is there anywhere similar today?

sith-smith

Grand Master
If downloading music from the internet, isn't there a huge chance of getting a virus/malware?

Richard_H

Grand Master
I never have from a music torrent. I did a long time ago from a movie. However, most of the torrents have ratings so check them out before you download. It's more annoying when you download an album and it wants a bloody password.

Ian_C

Jedi Master
Piratebay and Kickasstorrents both are good for popular artists and usually have decent discographies in high quality for most older bands.

Best site I have found for single songs is this.

http://www.myfreemp3.space/

I have found so many obscure songs unavailable anywhere else, it's crazy. Even searches you can't find on youtube.

Speaking of which, there's also youtube to mp3 converters you can find, but the quality is usually worse than a direct file download. This one works well.

http://www.youtube-mp3.org/

Make sure you have some kind of pop up blocker on. Most free download sites have too many pop up ads. I use uBlock Origin (it's free), and it prevents virtually every pop up in existence. It even worked on the recent rebelscum board hijack. :)

To the best of my knowledge, you can't attach viruses to mp3 or wav files.

Ian

plantman

Sith Lord
you can hide a virus in any file, usually it will be a hidden executable with the file extension changed but generally read the comments, someone will have found out before you no doubt :)

Stuart Skinner

Sith Lord
I use to use lime wire daily, got a serious virus and destroyed my computer. Won't eat limes now, evil green buggers

Ian_C

Jedi Master
plantman said:
you can hide a virus in any file, usually it will be a hidden executable with the file extension changed but generally read the comments, someone will have found out before you no doubt :)

Hey Andy, I agree you can disguise a virus as any file, but as you mention, wouldn't that change the extension? I have always believed if you download a file and it has the extension .mp3, it will be virus free, as the virus will change it to something else (usually .exe)?

I'm honestly curious. Been downloading music many years, and never had a problem with a music file with the proper extension. I don't want to believe that's a result of pure dumb luck. :shock:

Stuart, I'm not even sure Limewire exists any more. They were bad for viruses, but at that time, it was them or bearshare once Napster went down. Man, the old days, eh?

plantman

Sith Lord
No you can change the extension of any file and it will mimick the actual file if that makes sense, for example if you have a text file called TEXT.txt and you change the .txt to .mp3 the file will take on the form of an mp3 file although it wont play.

You can then incorporate batch file and executable the same way, if a user doesnt have file extensions visible you can give an exe file the icon of an mp3 and the user wouldnt know, they click the mp3 file and it runs the executable virus.

there is more complex ways to do it, a lot of them zip up genuine mp3 files but when you unzip it executes a command to install spyware in the background...i could go on but those are the basic ways a user gets duped

Ian_C

Jedi Master
Damn, I appreciate the knowledge. Unbelievable that I haven't had issues with all the music I have downloaded over the years. Thankfully I never download zip files at all for media taken from the internet. If you're experienced and know the typical file size for a song given the quality of the file and song length, would that be another giveaway?

Ian

sith-smith

Grand Master
Ian_C said:
Best site I have found for single songs is this.

http://www.myfreemp3.space/

I have found so many obscure songs unavailable anywhere else, it's crazy. Even searches you can't find on youtube.

I tried this and got all the songs I was after no problem. 8)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom