Completed Deagostini Falcon model

subzero

Sith Lord
Crumm said:
Excellent stuff.

That almost looks like an original filming model (which I guess was your aim).

I have the book called "Sculpting a galaxy" and your model could pretty much be in there.

Thanks, yeah I was looking to get it as movie accurate as possible but with my own little unique touch to what I thought would look the most realistic too. Some modellers added 3D printed grilles to their main rear engine but I avoided doing it because in the films I wanted to replicate that pure white beam of light, which is why I also got rid of the supplied plastic light strip which had cheap looking simulated grille lines on it, and replaced it with a plain frosted white perspex one. In the original trilogy you never see the rear of the Falcon accept when the engine is on, so adding a grille was a big no for me.

subzero

Sith Lord
Cardbackkid said:
Just incredible ! You should be extremely proud of that

Thank you, i'm very proud of this, never intended to even paint the thing when I first started and this is the result of getting carried away. :lol:

bosk70

Jedi Master
Supporter
Really good work Subzero, I know how much hard work went into this as I followed Chris Falcons build of the falcon on you tube , real good paint effects on this model , I like the way the builders of this model put their own stamp on them and make them individual :)

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
That's awesome Richard, you'd never know that you'd superimposed your model falcon over the photo stills. Surprised you had time to post on the forum as much as you did, working on this beast must have been all consuming. Did you keep a record of how many man hours went into it?

yoda

Sith Lord
I remember you showing the pictures awhile back of this beauty. This really is a fine bit of work, fair play to you for making such a great job. The Falcon has always been my favourite and was the only ship I ever owned.
I would love to attempt to build this but I don't know if I would have the patience to complete it in so much detail. Great job! and your many hrs on this project have certainly been worth it and paid off with a finished masterpiece!
It's a massive thumbs up from me :D
3627a3cacbd9b31fd3d3cdf7f596f094.jpg

subzero

Sith Lord
bosk70 said:
Really good work Subzero, I know how much hard work went into this as I followed Chris Falcons build of the falcon on you tube , real good paint effects on this model , I like the way the builders of this model put their own stamp on them and make them individual :)

Thanks, iv'e also seen that Chris' vids several times, when you watch one being put together you realise just how many pieces are involved. My model interior looks good but some of the other builders ones are absolutely phenomenal, some have gone completely all out and recreated every little inch of it from the movies with full accurate hallway lighting, they're just soo far beyond the level of detail and skill put into my one and just totally jaw dropping. I personally just wanted a fairly basic interior without doing too much as for me I was mainly interested in how it looked externally, but I do love seeing other Falcons every one is unique.

subzero

Sith Lord
TheJabbaWookie said:
That's awesome Richard, you'd never know that you'd superimposed your model falcon over the photo stills. Surprised you had time to post on the forum as much as you did, working on this beast must have been all consuming. Did you keep a record of how many man hours went into it?

I was really surprised how the images came out, especially the bottom image from ANH it really does look like it's sitting in the docking bay, it's all about the right light angles and adjusting the right lighting conditions in photoshop to make it match with the surroundings in the image. I actually finished this model last Feb so didn't join this forum until several months after that, no record of the hours put in but I can guarantee I did about 4 or 5 hours a day every day for 2 years, major labour involved with a project like this. :shock:

subzero

Sith Lord
yoda said:
I remember you showing the pictures awhile back of this beauty. This really is a fine bit of work, fair play to you for making such a great job. The Falcon has always been my favourite and was the only ship I ever owned.
I would love to attempt to build this but I don't know if I would have the patience to complete it in so much detail. Great job! and your many hrs on this project have certainly been worth it and paid off with a finished masterpiece!
It's a massive thumbs up from me :D
3627a3cacbd9b31fd3d3cdf7f596f094.jpg

Thanks, same with me too the falcon has always been my favourite object from any movie ever, always wanted a model so when I found out about this one before it's release I was well excited. That's the only problem with this model if you put it together without any paint it would look like a huge cheap toy, it's only the weathering and paint details that makes it worthwhile imo, you'd still have great fun building one but it's all about how it looks at the end.

Love the Rambo thumbs up! :lol:

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Subzero, that is a tremendous piece! Sincere congratulations on crafting such an outstanding model, which very clearly has had your heart and soul poured into it for hundreds of hours of hard work. The end results are spectacular and (I hope you will agree as the person who actually had to do it!) well worth all the blood, sweat and tears. Your customisations work brilliantly, especially all the weathering, which is truly first rate. This model wouldn't look out of place in an exhibition of movie props.

I do have one quick question, which is certainly in no way a criticism, but the cockpit looks like it has no glass or perspex in it. Is that just a trick of the light, or did it actually come without any? If the latter, I wonder why DeAgostini didn't include it (or did they include it, but it wasn't up to your standards / you preferred it without?).

Anyway, 11 out of 10 for this one!

subzero

Sith Lord
Snaketibe said:
Subzero, that is a tremendous piece! Sincere congratulations on crafting such an outstanding model, which very clearly has had your heart and soul poured into it for hundreds of hours of hard work. The end results are spectacular and (I hope you will agree as the person who actually had to do it!) well worth all the blood, sweat and tears. Your customisations work brilliantly, especially all the weathering, which is truly first rate. This model wouldn't look out of place in an exhibition of movie props.

I do have one quick question, which is certainly in no way a criticism, but the cockpit looks like it has no glass or perspex in it. Is that just a trick of the light, or did it actually come without any? If the latter, I wonder why DeAgostini didn't include it (or did they include it, but it wasn't up to your standards / you preferred it without?).

Anyway, 11 out of 10 for this one!

Thanks mate, yes this was a real labour of love, I had only this one chance in life ( i'd never want to make another one :lol: ) to make the Falcon model iv'e always wanted so I put everything I had into it, thanks for the praise. :)

Ah yes the cockpit glass, I don't know how many people know this or not but in the original trilogy they never had window glass in the filming miniature because it caused too many window reflections from the lighting when filming it. Deagostini did supply some plastic window pieces but it was very thick plastic and looked absolutely horrid, it completely took away from the realistic look we all worked so hard on to achieve on our models, and made it look like a really cheap toy, on the builders forum we all used to call it the coke bottle window :lol: everybody hated it, you couldn't even see inside the cockpit properly because of the thickness of it and the reflections.

Iv'e tried putting in very thin plastic sheet that I cut up myself but again I think it looks a little cheap so I binned it. :? Iv'e gotten so used to looking at it though without glass I don't even notice it now, and knowing the original filming model had no glass that makes me more happy to leave it. :)

Oracle

Padawan
I can't believe what I am looking at - simply stunning!
Really incredible. Those superimposed images are just awesome.

subzero

Sith Lord
Thought this was kinda cool so just thought i'd share an old picture I found of the tiny lightsaber hilt I made, this was an attempt to give it a glowing green blade and have it 'hanging' on the wall of the main hold. I made it with EL tape which glows neon and it had to be powered by it's own AA battery pack, the tape was apparently 'cuttable' to whatever size you need but unfortunately as it had to be cut way too thin to suit the hilt then the 2 layers of the tape started coming apart and after about a week half the blade stopped glowing. So that's when I came up with the Han Carbonite block idea to put up on the wall in place of this.

1_phixr (2).jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom