Apart from the Star Wars Trilogy what were your three most favourite childhood films

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
I sat down and watched E.T. with my 3 year old daughter today for the first time and watched her go through a rollercoaster of emotions with a smile on my face and a tear in my eye. It was awesome sharing something with her that was so fundamental to my own childhood memories. I'd also forgotten how many nods to Star Wars there were in it, like when Elliott entices E.T. back to his house the first time with a load of Skittles and then goes through his Star Wars collection...

"These are toys. Little men. This is Greedo. And then this is Hammerhead. You see, this is Walrus Man. And then this is Snaggletooth. And this is Lando Calrissian. See? And this is Boba Fett. Look. They can even have wars."

Anyway it got me to thinking apart from the Star Wars Trilogy what were your three most favourite childhood films and why.

I remember watching Mary Poppins and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang loads and my little girl loves them too, though my fav musical was Bugsy Malone with Jodie Foster (Freya's a little too young to watch that yet). And of course Tron, the Indiana Jones Trilogy and Ghostbusters, but my real 3 favourites were The Goonies, BMX Bandits and Condorman.

Who doesn't love The Goonies with Chunk's Truffle Shuffle and Confession, Data's Booty Traps, that's what I said Booby Traps.

BMX Bandits just captured the coolness of BMXing in the 80s and I used to fancy Nicole Kidman in it something rotten.

And the great car chase in Condorman. Michael Crawford in his Condormobile chased by the awesome black Porsches of the KGB Prognoviach led by Oliver Reed.

I'm so looking forward to watching them with Freya when she's big enough.

Over to you guys...

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Jaws
Where Eagles Dare

Honerable Mentions:
ET
The Dark Crystal
For Your Eyes Only (first Bond film I watched)
Sound of Music
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
Superman
Battlestar Galactica
Krull

Twin30mm

Jedi Knight
Blade Runner
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Too many great films of the 60s/70s/80s not to mention a few more....
Alien
The Great Escape
Risky Business
The Spy Who Loved Me
Jaws
The Thing
Disney's Robin Hood
Superman
Legend
Excalibur
Planet of the Apes
Where Eagles Dare......."Broadsword calling Danny Boy"
The Dirty Dozen
Zulu
The Keep (guilty pleasure) :D

Twin30mm

Jedi Knight
Cazza said:
Twin30mm said:
Alien
Risky Business
The Thing
Excalibur

Did you watch these as a kid?! :shock: :eek:

Yes, I'm an old twat. Thanks for the reminder :D

Definitely remember watching Risky Business, The Thing and The Keep on home video in the early to mid 80s (still at secondary school then).
Vivid memory of the Alien TV premiere, which I think was around '82. Watched it on my own and literally shat myself. :lol:

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Twin30mm said:
Cazza said:
Twin30mm said:
Alien
Risky Business
The Thing
Excalibur

Definitely remember watching Risky Business, The Thing and The Keep on home video in the early to mid 80s (still at secondary school then).
Vivid memory of the Alien TV premiere, which I think was around '82. Watched it on my own and literally shat myself. :lol:

Quality! :lol: Think I watched all of those in the late 80's early 90's.

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
These three were firm childhood favourites

The Breakfast Club
Weird Science
Police Academy

The Breakfast club however is the only one that I'd still watch again and again (every year still even) whereas the others were of the moment for me.

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Twin30mm said:
Cazza said:
Twin30mm said:
Alien
Risky Business
The Thing
Excalibur

The first film my mum took me to see at the cinema was Return to Oz and I remember I nearly shat myself when I saw the Wheelers. But I was only 6.
IMG_5968.JPG

bosk70

Jedi Master
Supporter
Most of the above but nobody has mentioned Man with the Golden Gun :lol: all time fav bond film just cracks me up every time I watch it, think I watch it once a year when I need a pick me up, hats off to Roger Moore RIP.
also Goonies, Jaws, Alien and of course Blade Runner made me think about sci fi as a kid and have a crush on Daryl Hannah :D

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Cazza said:
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Jaws
Where Eagles Dare

Honerable Mentions:
ET
The Dark Crystal
For Your Eyes Only (first Bond film I watched)
Sound of Music
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
Superman
Battlestar Galactica
Krull

Krull bl**dy hell with Todd Carty from Eastenders.

And then along that vain there was Time Bandits, Dark Crystal, Jack the Giant Killer, Jason & The Arganauts, Clash of the Titans, Sinbad & The Eye of the Tiger...

bosk70

Jedi Master
Supporter
Dark Crystal seriously used to freak my sister out :lol: that brought back memories must watch that again :)

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
bosk70 said:
Most of the above but nobody has mentioned Man with the Golden Gun :lol: all time fav bond film just cracks me up every time I watch it, think I watch it once a year when I need a pick me up, hats off to Roger Moore RIP.
also Goonies, Jaws, Alien and of course Blade Runner made me think about sci fi as a kid and have a crush on Daryl Hannah :D

Daryl Hannah was also very fit in Splash. Also vivid memories of John Candy dropping his coins on the floor to look up a woman's skirt... :lol:

Twin30mm

Jedi Knight
TheJabbaWookie said:
Jason & The Arganauts, Clash of the Titans, Sinbad & The Eye of the Tiger...

Loved those Ray Harryhausen stop-motion movies as a kid.
Valley of Gwangi was another favourite. Dinosaurs and cowboys. Brilliant :D

bosk70

Jedi Master
Supporter
TheJabbaWookie said:
bosk70 said:

Daryl Hannah was also very fit in Splash. Also vivid memories of John Candy dropping his coins on the floor to look up a woman's skirt... :lol:

Reminds me of the boy in the Goonies Chunk :) always thought of him as a young John Candy :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom